Getting started - echo type stuff disabled?

Getting started - echo type stuff disabled?

Hugh Prior
I downloaded and installed Mediawiki 1.5.5 a few days ago, and have been
having a look.  I have pretty good experience in PHP, but it's my first look
at Mediawiki.

 One of the biggest things I have noticed is:

a)       echo, doesn't

b)       if I try and create my own "test_wiki.php" file calling wiki
functions/methods, I get I think errors but all that is displayed on the
screen is a complete blank

I suppose these things are basically the same thing.  Is "echo" disabled?
Is there some other global setting I haven't seen which is stopping output
to the screen?  Is there some magic constant that I have to set to get debug
output (I have found $wgDebugLogFile, $wgDebugRedirects, $wgDebugRawPage,
$wgDebugComments, $wgReadOnly, $wgLogQueries, $wgDebugDumpSql but they don't
seem to help much).

Thanks for any help.

 Hugh Prior

Re: Getting started - echo type stuff disabled?

Rob Church
Output is handled through our output buffering class; see
OutputPage.php. Within an extension, one can use the global $wgOut,
then call functions to add HTML and wikitext to the output page.

Writing to the debug log can be done with wfDebug().

Rob Church

On 30/01/06, Hugh Prior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed Mediawiki 1.5.5 a few days ago, and have been
> having a look.  I have pretty good experience in PHP, but it's my first look
> at Mediawiki.
>
>  One of the biggest things I have noticed is:
>
> a)       echo, doesn't
>
> b)       if I try and create my own "test_wiki.php" file calling wiki
> functions/methods, I get I think errors but all that is displayed on the
> screen is a complete blank
>
> I suppose these things are basically the same thing.  Is "echo" disabled?
> Is there some other global setting I haven't seen which is stopping output
> to the screen?  Is there some magic constant that I have to set to get debug
> output (I have found $wgDebugLogFile, $wgDebugRedirects, $wgDebugRawPage,
> $wgDebugComments, $wgReadOnly, $wgLogQueries, $wgDebugDumpSql but they don't
> seem to help much).
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
>  Hugh Prior

Re: Getting started - echo type stuff disabled?

Brion Vibber
Hugh Prior wrote:
[the same thing he wrote on January 25]

Please read the previous response to your questions.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Getting started - echo type stuff disabled?

Hugh Prior
This link explains use of $wgOut for doing the work of echo:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Writing_a_new_special_page#OutputPage_.24wgOut

"Hugh Prior" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:drkqkc$1p6$[hidden email]...