Glad we are not in New Jersey

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I found this http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A1500/1327_I1.HTM
My question, if this happened in Florida, would we indeed insist on
knowing the names of our users ? Or would we say that our projects are
not a forum?

Thanks,
   GerardM

Re: Glad we are not in New Jersey

Robert S. Horning
Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>Hoi,
>I found this http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A1500/1327_I1.HTM
>My question, if this happened in Florida, would we indeed insist on
>knowing the names of our users ? Or would we say that our projects are
>not a forum?
>
>Thanks,
>   GerardM

I have no idea how they are going to enforce this law, as you are not
even legally required to put correct addresses into contact information
for top-level domain name registration.  Indeed, I've seen it suggested
on some forums that if you register a domain name that you should *not*
put in correct information, and I've seen addresses like "Somewhere in
the middle of the Pacific Ocean" or "Utopia Plantia, Mars" as the
address for the person listed as owning a domain regsitration.  The
reason for putting incorrect information is to avoid spamming (including
junk snail mail) or having some terrorist drop a bomb at your home address.

If the domain registration doesn't have to be correct, how can you
require user information to be correct?  Or on what grounds can you
supeona information?  Send a sheriff to Mars to deliver a summons?
 There may be a paper trail with the domain registration agency in terms
of who actually paid for the domain, but that would take some serious
digging and require a search warrent as well.

None of this even addresses the legal knot of trying to see exactly what
servers would be under New Jersey law.  Even if this were U.S. Federal
law instead, the legal issues would be a mess just to see if a server
could even qualify for enforcement of this law.

--
Robert Scott Horning

Re: Glad we are not in New Jersey

Michael R. Irwin
Robert Scott Horning wrote:

>Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>

>>Hoi,
>>I found this http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A1500/1327_I1.HTM
>>My question, if this happened in Florida, would we indeed insist on
>>knowing the names of our users ? Or would we say that our projects are
>>not a forum?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>  GerardM

The link provided is not working in Thunderbird for me.  Does anyone
have a different link or if could past in the txt of the link rather
than the html perhaps mine would work.

If no better link is available or a response to this request is ill
advsied; sweat it not!  I will try a search eventually, I got to a web
site.  Looks odd.  Thin for an official site.

Meanwhile, I have some local legal research to complete regarding
public/private capital resources and abitrary direction from adujicating
enforcers either ignorant (or unwilling to share knowledge regarding
same) of ORS when making threats.   Gotta update my local ideology and
practice maps and check in with a couple of cogs in the local political
machinery.

If this lands me at one of the local animal shelters.   I am confident I
will be back in communications within a few months one way or another.
later

lazyquasar

>None of this even addresses the legal knot of trying to see exactly what
>servers would be under New Jersey law.  Even if this were U.S. Federal
>law instead, the legal issues would be a mess just to see if a server
>could even qualify for enforcement of this law.

We ain't teen nothiingk yet.  What jurisprudences when Yanker fans for
teams to establish BOINC clients for Mnet's/GnuNet's phase lag JVM or
PVM.  I mean nobody wants a distributing computing or dc problem like a
disgrantles NSA whistleblower or 13 script kiddie in the Phillipines to
be able to knockdown Wall Street for a week while they try to reset New
York grid because of a logic bomb attack at the xpilot finals of the Del
Rey Foundation's Sahara's solar sailing cup or Rocket Jockey's jersey
swaps?  I mean the electrical and signal guys know how to
design/instrument/run the complex planes but not all of it can be
eprom's and firmware jit rev level delivery at extremely high net
margins.  Ala SEL SS backup vs IFDAPS.    Some of it need to be ladder
logic at juice levels adequate to keep the air conditioning running in
Air Force one while its in the middle of LAX or Boston International for
an emergency trim to face the nation on the why to an appropriate
terminal bunker?   Sorry if I garbled that, only saw a few minutes of
ending of ToraTricerRexus,  White Kaavick, at local londons alleged
location circa nuclear birth certificate.  RAPIDS indeed.  Maybe better
send a little rocky road to the gsa3t10s in recognition and belated
appreciation for past services rendered?  fractalis fidelis missoni
you guys got any mango juice?  my dad drank mine weeks before the word
was publically given,  a few cans have been going stale in benchstock
for months and suddenly it is long gone?  I still have the cans with the
logistics codes.  Probably will reinvest the nickels soon, I never cared
much for the key management end of things.  Key archivals are like
anchors, need good tax base for stability and security.
Rather RMCC some liquid or real sunshine than play treasure farm. Anyone
think it worth cc to Wankel, he might go for it.

Re: Glad we are not in New Jersey

Patrick, Brad
Our projects are forums.  Always and forever.  Remember that please!!

> [...]

ending of ToraTricerRexus,  White Kaavick, at local londons alleged
location circa nuclear birth certificate.  RAPIDS indeed.  Maybe better
send a little rocky road to the gsa3t10s in recognition and belated
appreciation for past services rendered?  fractalis fidelis missoni you
guys got any mango juice?  my dad drank mine weeks before the word was
publically given,  a few cans have been going stale in benchstock for
months and suddenly it is long gone?  I still have the cans with the
logistics codes.  Probably will reinvest the nickels soon, I never cared
much for the key management end of things.  Key archivals are like
anchors, need good tax base for stability and security.
Rather RMCC some liquid or real sunshine than play treasure farm. Anyone
think it worth cc to Wankel, he might go for it.

Disclaimer under IRS Circular 230: Unless expressly stated otherwise in this transmission, nothing contained in this message is intended or written to be used, nor may it be relied upon or used, (1) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended and/or (2) by any person to support the promotion or marketing of or to recommend any Federal tax transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this message.

If you desire a formal opinion on a particular tax matter for the purpose of avoiding the imposition of any penalties, we will discuss the additional Treasury requirements that must be met and whether it is possible to meet those requirements under the circumstances, as well as the anticipated time and additional fees involved.
Confidentiality Disclaimer: This e-mail message and any attachments are private communication sent by a law firm, Fowler White Boggs Banker P.A., and may contain confidential, legally privileged information meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, then delete the e-mail and any attachments from your system. Thank you.

Re: Glad we are not in New Jersey

Jimmy Wales
Patrick, Brad wrote:
> Our projects are forums.  Always and forever.  Remember that please!!

Yes.

And to answer Gerard's philosophical quesstion, if in the extremely
unlikely case that Florida and/or the United States became a hostile
jurisdiction for the freedom of speech, we would explore our legal
alternatives to leave for another jurisdiction.  Of course.

However, a couple of points...

1. This proposed law was so stupid that even the author of it quickly
backed down, as I understand news reports.  It will go nowhere.

2. It was almost certainly unconstitutional under the First Amendment
anyway.  "Under our Constitution, anonymous pamphleteering is not a
pernicious, fraudulent practice, but an honorable tradition of advocacy
and of dissent. Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority."
(US Supreme Court ruling from 1995)

Wikipedia would, indeed, make a marvelous example of the value of
anonymous speech.

--Jimbo