Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Legoktm
Hello!

Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
Phabricator[2].

Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
(incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki,
Isarra, MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and
everyone who helped with testing it while it was in beta.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
[2]
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Erik Moeller-4
Thanks for all _your_ work seeing this through the finish line as well,
Kunal. This is a great first step towards better user profile support, and
brings all Wikimedia wikis closer together.

--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Pine W
Thanks for the very good news.

Dan, can we get an ETA about SUL finalization?

Pine
On Feb 18, 2015 5:07 PM, "Legoktm" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> Phabricator[2].
>
> Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki, Isarra,
> MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> helped with testing it while it was in beta.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?
> projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Keegan Peterzell-2
Hi Pine,

I'm actually the owner of SUL finalization. It is happening in April. The
big messaging, rename schema, and a special page listing users that will be
affected is coming in a few days and there will be a big update then. You
can always follow along on Phabricator.[1][2]

Until then, let us continue to congratulate Kunal and cohorts!

1. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T37707
2. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/sul-finalization/

Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product
Wikimedia Foundation
On Feb 19, 2015 12:56 AM, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the very good news.
>
> Dan, can we get an ETA about SUL finalization?
>
> Pine
> On Feb 18, 2015 5:07 PM, "Legoktm" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> > with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> > mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> > Phabricator[2].
> >
> > Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> > (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki,
> Isarra,
> > MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> > helped with testing it while it was in beta.
> >
> > [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> > [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?
> > projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Florian Schmidt
Yeah, thanks for your work on this Kunal!

enwiki: userpage deletion requested
dewiki: local userpage deleted

:D

Best / Freundliche Grüße
Florian Schmidt

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: [Wikitech-l] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Petr Bena
Now maybe create some user friendly documentation less technical than
what is on extension-desc which tell users how to use this?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 9:30 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, thanks for your work on this Kunal!
>
> enwiki: userpage deletion requested
> dewiki: local userpage deleted
>
> :D
>
> Best / Freundliche Grüße
> Florian Schmidt
>
> -----Original-Nachricht-----
> Betreff: [Wikitech-l] Global user pages deployed to all wikis
> Datum: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 02:07:16 +0100
> Von: Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email],  Coordination of technology deployments across languages/projects <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello!
>
> Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> Phabricator[2].
>
> Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki,
> Isarra, MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and
> everyone who helped with testing it while it was in beta.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> [2]
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

MZMcBride-2
Erik Moeller wrote:
>Thanks for all _your_ work seeing this through the finish line as well,
>Kunal. This is a great first step towards better user profile support, and
>brings all Wikimedia wikis closer together.

Absolutely. I'm so proud of the work Legoktm has done and I'm very
grateful that he has chosen to devote his time and talents to improving
Wikimedia. I also think there's a whole lot to be learned from the
smoothness and near banality of these feature deployments. They're a
showcase of how all deployments should ideally be, in my opinion.

Petr Bena wrote:
>Now maybe create some user friendly documentation less technical than
>what is on extension-desc which tell users how to use this?

We have <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_user_pages> for Wikimedia
wikis. Patches welcome. ;-)  There has also been some great discussion
recently on the Wikimedia Forum about global user pages (cf.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum> and
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=11317230>), which includes
trying to figure out where and how to better document this new feature.

MZMcBride

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Nice one!

Will anyone be porting all the Babel templates? That's a seriously
useful thing that should go there, and they aren't on Meta yet.

On 19 February 2015 at 01:06, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users with
> CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> Phabricator[2].
>
> Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki, Isarra,
> MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who helped
> with testing it while it was in beta.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> [2]
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

John Mark Vandenberg
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice one!
>
> Will anyone be porting all the Babel templates? That's a seriously
> useful thing that should go there, and they aren't on Meta yet.

Eh? I think Babel templates are from last decade.
See https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_language

--
John Vandenberg

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Babel templates are replaced by the #Babel functionality... The only
problem I have with the Babel functionality on Meta is that they decided to
have everything in Green..

However check it out on my profile.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 20 February 2015 at 11:22, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice one!
>
> Will anyone be porting all the Babel templates? That's a seriously
> useful thing that should go there, and they aren't on Meta yet.
>
> On 19 February 2015 at 01:06, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> with
> > CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> > mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> > Phabricator[2].
> >
> > Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> > (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki,
> Isarra,
> > MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> helped
> > with testing it while it was in beta.
> >
> > [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> > [2]
> >
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Hello, thanks for this, it is a good feature.

Does it work for Wiktionary, Wikisource, etc? Does it show the same
userpage in any sister project? In that case, a trick to show different
content using a switch and the {{SITENAME}} magic word would work?

> Hello!
>
> Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> Phabricator[2].
>
> Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki, Isarra,
> MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> helped with testing it while it was in beta.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?
> projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Erwin Dokter
On 20-02-2015 13:07, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> Babel templates are replaced by the #Babel functionality... The only
> problem I have with the Babel functionality on Meta is that they decided to
> have everything in Green..

The content is transcluded, but it's the local CSS that will style that
content. So #babel does look different on other projects.

Erwin Dokter

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Adam Wight-2
Hi Legoktm,

Thanks for doing this great work!  I tried to follow the instructions at
[1], and discovered that GlobalPreferences hasn't been deployed yet, so I
don't think it's possible to enable a global user page yet.  Please keep us
posted when that happens, I'm looking forward to abusing this new feature :D

-Adam

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Erwin Dokter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20-02-2015 13:07, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> Hoi,
>> Babel templates are replaced by the #Babel functionality... The only
>> problem I have with the Babel functionality on Meta is that they decided
>> have everything in Green..
>>

> The content is transcluded, but it's the local CSS that will style that
> content. So #babel does look different on other projects.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Erwin Dokter

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Dan Garry
Adam,

The feature is currently deployed and working. Simply set up your userpage
on Meta, and it'll display on all other wikis! :-)

Those instructions regarding global preferences refer to when the feature
is disabled by default, which is not currently the case.

Thanks,
Dan

On 20 February 2015 at 09:20, Adam Wight <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Legoktm,
>
> Thanks for doing this great work!  I tried to follow the instructions at
> [1], and discovered that GlobalPreferences hasn't been deployed yet, so I
> don't think it's possible to enable a global user page yet.  Please keep us
> posted when that happens, I'm looking forward to abusing this new feature
> :D
>
> -Adam
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Erwin Dokter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 20-02-2015 13:07, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> >
> >> Hoi,
> >> Babel templates are replaced by the #Babel functionality... The only
> >> problem I have with the Babel functionality on Meta is that they decided
> >> have everything in Green..
> >>

> > The content is transcluded, but it's the local CSS that will style that
> > content. So #babel does look different on other projects.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Erwin Dokter

Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps

On 20-02-2015 18:22, Dan Garry wrote:
> The feature is currently deployed and working. Simply set up your userpage
> on Meta, and it'll display on all other wikis! :-)

After having played with it a bit, I must conclude there is one major
shortcoming.

I like to list my subpages locally, but that is not possible with a
global page. The most annoying thing is that once you create the local
user page, the global one is gone forever... until you can get a local
admin to delete the local copy again.

It would be much more practical if this worked like Commons description
pages, where one can *add* content to the local description pages in
addition to the trancluded page.

I also don't know why the system is so inflexible in that only one wiki
can act as the global home wiki. I know there are issues with the home
wiki flag, but another approach could be in the form of using
{{meta:user:Edokter}}, which could point to any project.

Erwin Dokter

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Ryan Kaldari-2
This is awesome! When do we get a global language pref? ;)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> Phabricator[2].
>
> Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki, Isarra,
> MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> helped with testing it while it was in beta.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?
> projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

phoebe ayers-3
Hooray! This is so cool.

/goes to edit her meta userpage...

-- phoebe

p.s. re: babel, my absolute favorite use is on Wikidata, where you can
add babel templates to your userpage and then get the appropriate
fields to add stuff in that language :) I love showing that to people
who are getting started on Wikidata.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users with
> CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> Phabricator[2].
>
> Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki, Isarra,
> MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who helped
> with testing it while it was in beta.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> [2]
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

<at> gmail.com *

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Scott MacLeod
Kunal, Erik and All,

So great!

How will Linked Data be added to, and develop with, these
interlingual Global User Pages -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage ?

Cheers,
Scott

http://worlduniversityandschool.org/
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Languages (planned for all 7,870
languages)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hooray! This is so cool.
>
> /goes to edit her meta userpage...
>
> -- phoebe
>
> p.s. re: babel, my absolute favorite use is on Wikidata, where you can
> add babel templates to your userpage and then get the appropriate
> fields to add stuff in that language :) I love showing that to people
> who are getting started on Wikidata.
>

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> with
> > CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> > mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> > Phabricator[2].
> >
> > Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> > (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki,
> Isarra,
> > MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> helped
> > with testing it while it was in beta.
> >
> > [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> > [2]
> >
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at> gmail.com *

Scott MacLeod
http://scottmacleod.com
http://worlduniversityandschool.org/

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of
the transmittal. Thank you.

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

MZMcBride-2
Hi.

Erwin Dokter wrote:

>On 20-02-2015 18:22, Dan Garry wrote:
>> The feature is currently deployed and working. Simply set up your
>>userpage
>> on Meta, and it'll display on all other wikis! :-)
>
>After having played with it a bit, I must conclude there is one major
>shortcoming.
>
>I like to list my subpages locally, but that is not possible with a
>global page.

I think what you're saying here is that if your global user page contains
"{{Special:PrefixIndex/User:Example}}", this transclusion will expand in
the context of the global wiki, not in the context of the local wiki.

>The most annoying thing is that once you create the local
>user page, the global one is gone forever... until you can get a local
>admin to delete the local copy again.
>
>It would be much more practical if this worked like Commons description
>pages, where one can *add* content to the local description pages in
>addition to the trancluded page.

Gone forever seems a bit hyperbolic. :-)  The use-case being solved here
most directly is "I don't want to create my user page or a pointer to my
user page on over 800 wikis." I think the append model is interesting to
consider, but I think it would likely need to be opt-in, perhaps via
interwiki transclusion.

>I also don't know why the system is so inflexible in that only one wiki
>can act as the global home wiki. I know there are issues with the home
>wiki flag, but another approach could be in the form of using
>{{meta:user:Edokter}}, which could point to any project.

Right, you're basically suggesting interwiki transclusion here. This is
definitely a hard problem to solve, for the context reason alone.

In discussing global user pages, someone privately criticized the
implementation with basically the same theme of what you're saying here.
Namely, that global user pages are only solving a narrow use-case and that
the more generalized problem of easy content distribution/re-use still
needs to be addressed. I definitely agree, but here's why I pushed this
project forward and why I'm happy with where we're headed:

1. Perfect is the enemy of the done. We have global user pages today. If a
   better approach for global user pages comes along in the future, we can
   switch to using that instead, for sure.

2. We're working on a more generalized solution:
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Shadow_namespaces>.
   Nemo also pointed me toward <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66474>
   which may interest you.

Please share your thoughts and feedback on the wiki or in Phabricator or
on this mailing list. I think there's consensus that we have a pattern of
a problem that we want to solve and any help poking and prodding at ideas
for solutions to this problem would be most welcome.

MZMcBride

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Pine W
Is it necessary to request deletion of a local user page in order to get
the global page to be automatically transcluded?

Pine

*This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>

*One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
know.*

*—Catherine Munro*