Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada

> Is it necessary to request deletion of a local user page in order to get
> the global page to be automatically transcluded?
>
> Pine

It seems so. In my case, I created years ago a lot of redirects to my
English userpage from many Wikipedia languages, and now I have to request
the deletion for all them. Not very useful.

Can we get a special bot task in meta to request userpage deletion in
batches?

> [...]
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Erwin Dokter wrote:
> > >
> > >After having played with it a bit, I must conclude there is one major
> > >shortcoming.
> > >
> > >I like to list my subpages locally, but that is not possible with a
> > >global page.
> >
> > I think what you're saying here is that if your global user page contains
> > "{{Special:PrefixIndex/User:Example}}", this transclusion will expand in
> > the context of the global wiki, not in the context of the local wiki.
> >
> > >The most annoying thing is that once you create the local
> > >user page, the global one is gone forever... until you can get a local
> > >admin to delete the local copy again.
> > >
> > >It would be much more practical if this worked like Commons description
> > >pages, where one can *add* content to the local description pages in
> > >addition to the trancluded page.
> >
> > Gone forever seems a bit hyperbolic. :-)  The use-case being solved here
> > most directly is "I don't want to create my user page or a pointer to my
> > user page on over 800 wikis." I think the append model is interesting to
> > consider, but I think it would likely need to be opt-in, perhaps via
> > interwiki transclusion.
> >
> > >I also don't know why the system is so inflexible in that only one wiki
> > >can act as the global home wiki. I know there are issues with the home
> > >wiki flag, but another approach could be in the form of using
> > >{{meta:user:Edokter}}, which could point to any project.
> >
> > Right, you're basically suggesting interwiki transclusion here. This is
> > definitely a hard problem to solve, for the context reason alone.
> >
> > In discussing global user pages, someone privately criticized the
> > implementation with basically the same theme of what you're saying here.
> > Namely, that global user pages are only solving a narrow use-case and
> that
> > the more generalized problem of easy content distribution/re-use still
> > needs to be addressed. I definitely agree, but here's why I pushed this
> > project forward and why I'm happy with where we're headed:
> >
> > 1. Perfect is the enemy of the done. We have global user pages today. If
> >    better approach for global user pages comes along in the future, we
> can
> >    switch to using that instead, for sure.
> >
> > 2. We're working on a more generalized solution:
> >    <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Shadow_namespaces
> > >.
> >    Nemo also pointed me toward <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66474
> >
> >    which may interest you.
> >
> > Please share your thoughts and feedback on the wiki or in Phabricator or
> > on this mailing list. I think there's consensus that we have a pattern of
> > a problem that we want to solve and any help poking and prodding at ideas
> > for solutions to this problem would be most welcome.
> >
> > MZMcBride

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
[[m:Synchbot]] is what you are looking for.

-Revi
[[User:-revi]]
-- Sent from Android --
2015. 2. 21. 오후 5:56에 "Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

> [...]
> > >    better approach for global user pages comes along in the future, we
> > can
> > >    switch to using that instead, for sure.
> > >
> > > 2. We're working on a more generalized solution:
> > >    <
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Shadow_namespaces
> > >    Nemo also pointed me toward <
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66474
> > >
> > >    which may interest you.
> > >
> > > Please share your thoughts and feedback on the wiki or in Phabricator
> or
> > > on this mailing list. I think there's consensus that we have a pattern
> of
> > > a problem that we want to solve and any help poking and prodding at
> ideas
> > > for solutions to this problem would be most welcome.
> > >
> > > MZMcBride

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Marielle Volz-2
Could we get uploading privileges allowed for normal users (such as myself)
on meta? Otherwise profile photos will require special privileges.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Hong, Yena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [[m:Synchbot]] is what you are looking for.
>
> -Revi
> [[User:-revi]]
> -- Sent from Android --
> 2015. 2. 21. 오후 5:56에 "Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada" <[hidden email]>님이
> 작성:

> > > Is it necessary to request deletion of a local user page in order to
> get
> > > the global page to be automatically transcluded?
> > >
> > > Pine
> > >

> > It seems so. In my case, I created years ago a lot of redirects to my
> > English userpage from many Wikipedia languages, and now I have to request
> > the deletion for all them. Not very useful.
> >
> > Can we get a special bot task in meta to request userpage deletion in
> > batches?
> >

> > > *This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>
> > >

> > > *One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock
> of
> > > our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water
> > we
> > > must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
> > > which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the
> broad
> > > fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do
> > not
> > > know.*
> > >
> > > *—Catherine Munro*

> major

> > contains
> > in

> local

> > description

> > here
> > my

> > wiki
> home

> is

> > here.
> > > that
> still
> this

> > If
> we
> > > can

> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Shadow_namespaces
> > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66474

> > or
> pattern
> > of
> > ideas

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Erwin Dokter
On 21-02-2015 12:14, Marielle Volz wrote:
> Could we get uploading privileges allowed for normal users (such as myself)
> on meta? Otherwise profile photos will require special privileges.

We have Commons for that. Meta does not allow non-free or fair-use
images anyway.

Erwin Dokter

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
When the "local" language is not among the selected languages, it helps to
show a level 0 for the local language.

What do you think, is this feasible ??
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 20 February 2015 at 20:32, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is awesome! When do we get a global language pref? ;)
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Global user pages have now been deployed to all public wikis for users
> > with CentralAuth accounts. Documentation on the feature is available at
> > mediawiki.org[1], and if you notice any bugs please file them in
> > Phabricator[2].
> >
> > Thanks to all the people who helped with the creation and deployment
> > (incomplete, and in no particular order): Jack Phoenix & ShoutWiki,
> Isarra,
> > MZMcBride, Nemo, Quiddity, Aaron S, Matt F, James F, and everyone who
> > helped with testing it while it was in beta.
> >
> > [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage
> > [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?
> > projects=PHID-PROJ-j536clyie42uptgjkft7

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Marielle Volz-2
That's what I was going to do originally, but then I looked at my profile
picture on en wiki[1] I saw this message:

"Do not copy this file to Wikimedia Commons.

While the license of this image or media file, uploaded and used on (a)
Wikipedia contributor(s) user page(s), may be compliant with Commons, its
usefulness to other projects is unlikely. It should not be copied to
Commons unless a specific other usage is anticipated."

I took that to mean that profile pictures in general were discouraged from
being placed in commons. If that's the case, then it makes sense for
profiles on meta to have the same policy.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marielle_volz.jpg

On Feb 21, 2015 12:06 PM, "Erwin Dokter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21-02-2015 12:14, Marielle Volz wrote:
>
>> Could we get uploading privileges allowed for normal users (such as
>> myself)
>> on meta? Otherwise profile photos will require special privileges.
>>

> We have Commons for that. Meta does not allow non-free or fair-use images
> anyway.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Erwin Dokter

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
Well, image upload for userpage use is explicitly permitted on Commons[1],
as long as it is used and copyright status is fine. (To get meta uploader
right, you need a clear use case, and it is rarely given. Meta does not
allow EDP (fair use), so if it is fair use, it cannot be hosted on Commons
nor on meta.)

[1]: See [[c:COM:SCOPE]], I'm mobile so cannot find section, but there must
be one about this.

-Revi
[[User:-revi]]
-- Sent from Android --
2015. 2. 21. 오후 9:15에 "Marielle Volz" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

On 21-02-2015 13:14, Marielle Volz wrote:
> That's what I was going to do originally, but then I looked at my profile
> picture on en wiki[1] I saw this message:
>
> "Do not copy this file to Wikimedia Commons.
>[...]"
>
> I took that to mean that profile pictures in general were discouraged from
> being placed in commons. If that's the case, then it makes sense for
> profiles on meta to have the same policy.

Somone else placed that tag after you uploaded it. But you remain in
control (and I would in fact remove that tag), and as Yena has pointed
out, Commons welcomes user-space images.

Reagrds,
--
Erwin Dokter

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Daniel Kinzler
Am 21.02.2015 um 13:14 schrieb Marielle Volz:

> That's what I was going to do originally, but then I looked at my profile
> picture on en wiki[1] I saw this message:
>
> "Do not copy this file to Wikimedia Commons.
>
> While the license of this image or media file, uploaded and used on (a)
> Wikipedia contributor(s) user page(s), may be compliant with Commons, its
> usefulness to other projects is unlikely. It should not be copied to
> Commons unless a specific other usage is anticipated."
>
> I took that to mean that profile pictures in general were discouraged from
> being placed in commons. If that's the case, then it makes sense for
> profiles on meta to have the same policy.

I would say profile pictures are useful on commons if used on a global user
page. The idea behind the message you saw is that pictures that are only going
to be used on your local profile shouldn't be on commons. If you are going to
use your profile picture on a lot of wikis or, now, on a global user page, then
that's a perfectly good reason to put them on commons.

I haven't been a common admin for years, but I suppose the guidelines there
still allow this.

-- daniel

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

MZMcBride-2
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada wrote:
>It seems so. In my case, I created years ago a lot of redirects to my
>English userpage from many Wikipedia languages, and now I have to request
>the deletion for all them. Not very useful.

"Not very useful" is a slightly rude comment to make, in my opinion. You
specifically and intentionally created local user pages on various
Wikipedias. I imagine you and others would be rightfully upset if
someone came along and simply overwrote your local user pages with a
global user page without your knowledge or consent.

>Can we get a special bot task in meta to request userpage deletion in
>batches?

There's discussion on Meta-Wiki about Synchbot deleting local user pages
on a per-user, opt-in basis. I'm personally of the view that users seeking
to un-spam the dozens or hundreds of wikis where they have created a local
user page and done nothing more ought to clean up the "mess" themselves.

Instead of deletion, blanking the user page might be a neat way of
triggering the global user page to re-appear (a version of pure wiki
deletion). Though, of course, some users might want a 0-byte user page.

MZMcBride

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Isarra Yos
On 21/02/15 15:21, MZMcBride wrote:
> Instead of deletion, blanking the user page might be a neat way of
> triggering the global user page to re-appear (a version of pure wiki
> deletion). Though, of course, some users might want a 0-byte user page.

With interface messages, setting the content to '-' is commonly used
instead of deletion in order to reset the content to default, since that
way the history is preserved even with blank messages. Having similar
functionality might be useful here.

-I

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada

> Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada wrote:
> >It seems so. In my case, I created years ago a lot of redirects to my
> >English userpage from many Wikipedia languages, and now I have to request
> >the deletion for all them. Not very useful.
>
> "Not very useful" is a slightly rude comment to make, in my opinion. You
> specifically and intentionally created local user pages on various
> Wikipedias. I imagine you and others would be rightfully upset if
> someone came along and simply overwrote your local user pages with a
> global user page without your knowledge or consent.
>
> >Can we get a special bot task in meta to request userpage deletion in
> >batches?
>
> There's discussion on Meta-Wiki about Synchbot deleting local user pages
> on a per-user, opt-in basis. I'm personally of the view that users seeking
> to un-spam the dozens or hundreds of wikis where they have created a local
> user page and done nothing more ought to clean up the "mess" themselves.

I edited/added images and managed bots (generating edit rankings and other)
in many Wikipedias. I didn't spammed anything, just had to create the
redirect userpages years ago because MediaWiki didn't offered anything
better.

If you don't know about the case, shut up.

> Instead of deletion, blanking the user page might be a neat way of
> triggering the global user page to re-appear (a version of pure wiki
> deletion). Though, of course, some users might want a 0-byte user page.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [OT] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Andre Klapper-2
Emilio,

it is in everybody's interest that Wikimedia is an environment where
people treat each other with respect and assume that people mean well.
Criticize ideas instead of people. There is some guidance at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct_policy

Thank you.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: [OT] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Petr Bena
I don't really see what is a problem here. On meta you can request
deletion of all userpages in 2 minutes, I myself got my userpages
deleted within 2 days and I didn't have to care at all. It was super
simple and it worked.

I've seen a lot of problematic deployments of things that didn't work,
but this is not a case, believe me.

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Emilio,
>
> it is in everybody's interest that Wikimedia is an environment where
> people treat each other with respect and assume that people mean well.
> Criticize ideas instead of people. There is some guidance at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct_policy
>
> Thank you.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
> http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

MZMcBride-2
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada wrote:
>I edited/added images and managed bots (generating edit rankings and
>other) in many Wikipedias. I didn't spammed anything, just had to create
>the redirect userpages years ago because MediaWiki didn't offered
>anything better.

Indeed. I briefly looked at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Emijrp> and places
where there are three edits seem to be creating a soft redirect template,
soft-redirecting your user page, and soft-redirecting your user talk page.

>If you don't know about the case, shut up.

I know a bit! :-)  We should not be antagonizing each other. I really
respect and appreciate the work that you do across Wikimedia. Spam is a
pretty loaded term and it was in poor form to use it here. I apologize.

Certain users are in a funky situation currently where, using a bot or
browser tabs, they've created dozens or hundreds of user pages that now
preempt a global user page. We definitely considered this scenario, but
ultimately this practice of creating many local user pages was never
considered supported. It was tolerated because of the lack of global user
pages and now we face a reconciliation with past acts. (Or not...
retaining local user pages doesn't really harm much.) If you or anyone
else wants help getting rid of these local user pages, there are
volunteers at Meta-Wiki who would be happy to offer assistance.

MZMcBride

Re: [OT] Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Tim Landscheidt
Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Emilio,

> it is in everybody's interest that Wikimedia is an environment where
> people treat each other with respect and assume that people mean well.
> Criticize ideas instead of people. There is some guidance at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct_policy

I find the idea of singling someone out who defended himself
against the (false) accusation that he spammed wikis while
not muttering a word about the accuser's behaviour trou-
bling.  Shushing someone because he said "No!  I don't want
to be treated this way!" in a way that reflects the per-
ceived infraction feels very wrong.

Tim

Tim Landscheidt wrote:
>I find the idea of singling someone out who defended himself
>against the (false) accusation that he spammed wikis while
>not muttering a word about the accuser's behaviour trou-
>bling.  Shushing someone because he said "No!  I don't want
>to be treated this way!" in a way that reflects the per-
>ceived infraction feels very wrong.

I'd say that using terms like "the accuser" and vaguely paraphrasing
("shut up" became "No! ...") is probably adding more heat than light.

The situation of users creating dozens or hundreds of local user pages
never sat well with me as it was a bad hack. And it was entirely
predictable that one day we'd be in a situation in which we'd have global
user pages and the people who used a bot or scripts to create all of these
local user pages would be annoyed by their own choices. Here we are.

In a lot of online communities, showing up and creating only a user page
(or user profile) is pretty questionable. Calling it spam is too extreme;
I agree and I apologized for using the term "un-spam."

MZMcBride

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

Helder .
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Babel templates are replaced by the #Babel functionality... The only
> problem I have with the Babel functionality on Meta is that they decided to
> have everything in Green..
>
> However check it out on my profile.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

There is one problem, though: the babel categorization does not work.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T90398

Best regards,
Helder

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> p.s. re: babel, my absolute favorite use is on Wikidata, where you can
> add babel templates to your userpage and then get the appropriate
> fields to add stuff in that language :) I love showing that to people
> who are getting started on Wikidata.

Will that still work if a user moves his babel config to his global
user page on Meta-wiki, considering that the categorization will not
work on Wikidata?
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T90398

Re: Global user pages deployed to all wikis

S Page-3
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:17 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Erwin Dokter wrote:
>
> >I like to list my subpages locally, but that is not possible with a
> >global page.
>
> I think what you're saying here is that if your global user page contains
> "{{Special:PrefixIndex/User:Example}}", this transclusion will expand in
> the context of the global wiki, not in the context of the local wiki.

Yes, I do this. Is there a workaround? A phab task?

I mentioned this on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage#Where_content_comes_from

Thanks for developing this, y'all rock.
--