GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

Niharika Kohli-2
Hello all,

I'm happy to announce that GlobalPreferences
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences> is now
available on all Wikimedia wikis. This project came out of the Wishlist
Survey in December 2016 (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results). It
was #4 on the list. The Community Tech team (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech) has worked for over 14
months, well past the yearly deadline, to deliver on it. This is one of the
most important projects this team has ever undertaken.

You can enable Global Preferences from *Preferences > Set your global
preferences* under your User Profile. You can also set per-wiki exceptions
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences#Local_exceptions>
for
each global preference.

This has been a long-desired feature (with the earliest known ticket dating
back to July 2008 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950). I'd like to
give a shout out to Kunal Mehta (Legoktm), Sam Wilson and Max Semenik for
all their hard work that went into this project.

You can read more about the genesis of the project on the project page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Global_preferences

You can find more information about how to use GlobalPreferences on the
Help page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences

Questions and comments are welcome on the discussion page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Extension:GlobalPreferences

If there is a project you deeply care about and would like our team to work
on, please remember to submit a proposal for it during the next Wishlist
survey (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2018_Community_Wishlist_Survey)
scheduled to take place in November 2018. Make sure to let your friends at
Wikimania know about it too. :)

Thanks!
--
Niharika
Product Manager

Re: GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

יגאל חיטרון
Thanks a lot! The job the developers did is awesome, and the feature is
extremally helpfull!
Still, there is a bug to be deployed, T195288, so the Global Preferences
will work well from this Thursday evening, depends on your wiki group. Wait
just a little. :-)
Igal (User:Ikhitron)

> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that GlobalPreferences
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences> is now
> available on all Wikimedia wikis. This project came out of the Wishlist
> Survey in December 2016 (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results).
> It
> was #4 on the list. The Community Tech team (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech) has worked for over 14
> months, well past the yearly deadline, to deliver on it. This is one of the
> most important projects this team has ever undertaken.
>
> You can enable Global Preferences from *Preferences > Set your global
> preferences* under your User Profile. You can also set per-wiki exceptions
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences#Local_
> exceptions>
> for
> each global preference.
>
> This has been a long-desired feature (with the earliest known ticket dating
> back to July 2008 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950). I'd like to
> give a shout out to Kunal Mehta (Legoktm), Sam Wilson and Max Semenik for
> all their hard work that went into this project.
>
> You can read more about the genesis of the project on the project page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Global_preferences
>
> You can find more information about how to use GlobalPreferences on the
> Help page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>
> Questions and comments are welcome on the discussion page:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>
> If there is a project you deeply care about and would like our team to work
> on, please remember to submit a proposal for it during the next Wishlist
> survey (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2018_Community_Wishlist_Survey)
> scheduled to take place in November 2018. Make sure to let your friends at
> Wikimania know about it too. :)
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Niharika
> Product Manager
> Community Tech
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wmfall] GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

Carolyn Li-Madeo
Congratulations!

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations!  This is going to be a wonderful feature, and it wouldn't
> have happened without the team's dedication and persistence in the face of
> multiple difficulties.  I'm so happy that this has been successfully
> deployed.
>

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce that GlobalPreferences
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences> is now
>> available on all Wikimedia wikis. This project came out of the Wishlist
>> Survey in December 2016 (
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results).
>> It was #4 on the list. The Community Tech team (
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech) has worked for over 14
>> months, well past the yearly deadline, to deliver on it. This is one of the
>> most important projects this team has ever undertaken.
>>
>> You can enable Global Preferences from *Preferences > Set your global
>> preferences* under your User Profile. You can also set per-wiki
>> exceptions
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences#Local_exceptions> for
>> each global preference.
>>
>> This has been a long-desired feature (with the earliest known ticket
>> dating back to July 2008 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950).
>> I'd like to give a shout out to Kunal Mehta (Legoktm), Sam Wilson and Max
>> Semenik for all their hard work that went into this project.
>>
>> You can read more about the genesis of the project on the project page:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Global_preferences
>>
>> You can find more information about how to use GlobalPreferences on the
>> Help page:
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>>
>> Questions and comments are welcome on the discussion page:
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>>
>> If there is a project you deeply care about and would like our team to
>> work on, please remember to submit a proposal for it during the next
>> Wishlist survey (
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2018_Community_Wishlist_Survey)
>> scheduled to take place in November 2018. Make sure to let your friends at
>> Wikimania know about it too. :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Niharika
>> Product Manager
>> Community Tech
>> Wikimedia Foundation

> Sherry Snyder (WhatamIdoing)
> Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wmfall] GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

David Barratt
YAY! SO EXCITING!

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that GlobalPreferences
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences> is now
> available on all Wikimedia wikis. This project came out of the Wishlist
> Survey in December 2016 (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results).
> It was #4 on the list. The Community Tech team (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech) has worked for over 14
> months, well past the yearly deadline, to deliver on it. This is one of the
> most important projects this team has ever undertaken.
>
> You can enable Global Preferences from *Preferences > Set your global
> preferences* under your User Profile. You can also set per-wiki exceptions
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences#Local_exceptions> for
> each global preference.
>
> This has been a long-desired feature (with the earliest known ticket
> dating back to July 2008 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950). I'd
> like to give a shout out to Kunal Mehta (Legoktm), Sam Wilson and Max
> Semenik for all their hard work that went into this project.
>
> You can read more about the genesis of the project on the project page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Global_preferences
>
> You can find more information about how to use GlobalPreferences on the
> Help page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>

> Questions and comments are welcome on the discussion page:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>
> If there is a project you deeply care about and would like our team to
> work on, please remember to submit a proposal for it during the next
> Wishlist survey (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2018_Community_Wishlist_Survey) scheduled
> to take place in November 2018. Make sure to let your friends at Wikimania
> know about it too. :)
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Niharika
> Product Manager
> Community Tech
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

Stryn@Wikimedia
Good news!

Sent from mobile

ti 10. heinäk. 2018 klo 21.20 Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
kirjoitti:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that GlobalPreferences
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences> is now
> available on all Wikimedia wikis. This project came out of the Wishlist
> Survey in December 2016 (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results).
> It
> was #4 on the list. The Community Tech team (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech) has worked for over 14
> months, well past the yearly deadline, to deliver on it. This is one of the
> most important projects this team has ever undertaken.
>
> You can enable Global Preferences from *Preferences > Set your global
> preferences* under your User Profile. You can also set per-wiki exceptions
> <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences#Local_exceptions
> >
> for
> each global preference.
>
> This has been a long-desired feature (with the earliest known ticket dating
> back to July 2008 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950). I'd like to
> give a shout out to Kunal Mehta (Legoktm), Sam Wilson and Max Semenik for
> all their hard work that went into this project.
>
> You can read more about the genesis of the project on the project page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Global_preferences
>
> You can find more information about how to use GlobalPreferences on the
> Help page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>
> Questions and comments are welcome on the discussion page:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Extension:GlobalPreferences
>
> If there is a project you deeply care about and would like our team to work
> on, please remember to submit a proposal for it during the next Wishlist
> survey (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2018_Community_Wishlist_Survey)
> scheduled to take place in November 2018. Make sure to let your friends at
> Wikimania know about it too. :)
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Niharika
> Product Manager
> Community Tech
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

Christoph Jauera
Wohooo, great news! Congrats!

\me activates AdvancedSearch beta feature globally ;-)

Christoph Jauera
Software Developer

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely
share in the sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.
https://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Phone +49 (0)30 219 158 260

> Good news!
>
> Sent from mobile
>
> ti 10. heinäk. 2018 klo 21.20 Niharika Kohli <[hidden email]>
> kirjoitti:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce that GlobalPreferences
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences> is now
> > available on all Wikimedia wikis. This project came out of the Wishlist
> > Survey in December 2016 (
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results).
> > It
> > was #4 on the list. The Community Tech team (
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech) has worked for over 14
> > months, well past the yearly deadline, to deliver on it. This is one of
> the
> > most important projects this team has ever undertaken.
> >
> > You can enable Global Preferences from *Preferences > Set your global
> > preferences* under your User Profile. You can also set per-wiki
> exceptions
> > <
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:GlobalPreferences#Local_
> exceptions
> > >
> > for
> > each global preference.
> >
> > This has been a long-desired feature (with the earliest known ticket
> dating
> > back to July 2008 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T16950). I'd like
> > give a shout out to Kunal Mehta (Legoktm), Sam Wilson and Max Semenik for
> > all their hard work that went into this project.
> >
> > You can read more about the genesis of the project on the project page:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Global_preferences
> >
> > You can find more information about how to use GlobalPreferences on the
> > Help page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:
> GlobalPreferences
> >
> > Questions and comments are welcome on the discussion page:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Extension:GlobalPreferences
> >
> > If there is a project you deeply care about and would like our team to
> work
> > on, please remember to submit a proposal for it during the next Wishlist
> > survey (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2018_Community_Wishlist_Survey)
> > scheduled to take place in November 2018. Make sure to let your friends
> at
> > Wikimania know about it too. :)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Niharika
> > Product Manager
> > Community Tech
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: GlobalPreferences now available on a wiki near you

Sam Smith
Congratulations on shipping! Great news! 🎉

-Sam