Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Mathias Schindler-2
Hi all,

Wikimedia Deutschland is happy to announce that the German tax office
just confirmed the Verein's tax-exempt status. We now have the
continuing ability to issue donation receipts until October 2011.

We're also glad to tell you that we've ordered 15 servers for more
than 50.000 Euros to serve as squids in the NOC in Amsterdam. Even if
this is not much in comparison to the whole Wikimedia server cluster,
it will more than double the server capacities in Europe, which is a
good start, isn't it?

More information (in German):
http://www.wikimedia.de/2006/11/gute-nachrichten/
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/80424

Mathias

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Łukasz Garczewski
Mathias Schindler napisał(a):

> Hi all,
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland is happy to announce that the German tax office
> just confirmed the Verein's tax-exempt status. We now have the
> continuing ability to issue donation receipts until October 2011.
>
> We're also glad to tell you that we've ordered 15 servers for more
> than 50.000 Euros to serve as squids in the NOC in Amsterdam. Even if
> this is not much in comparison to the whole Wikimedia server cluster,
> it will more than double the server capacities in Europe, which is a
> good start, isn't it?

Yay! Congratulations.

Here, have a stroopwafel... :P

Argh, first the retreat and now this -- another text I have to translate
into Polish. *grumble* Enough of the important good news already, OK? :P

--
TOR

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Florence Devouard-3
Mathias Schindler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland is happy to announce that the German tax office
> just confirmed the Verein's tax-exempt status. We now have the
> continuing ability to issue donation receipts until October 2011.
>
> We're also glad to tell you that we've ordered 15 servers for more
> than 50.000 Euros to serve as squids in the NOC in Amsterdam. Even if
> this is not much in comparison to the whole Wikimedia server cluster,
> it will more than double the server capacities in Europe, which is a
> good start, isn't it?
>
> More information (in German):
> http://www.wikimedia.de/2006/11/gute-nachrichten/
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/80424
>
> Mathias

yo !

great and congrats

ant

On 11/2/06, Łukasz Garczewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Argh, first the retreat and now this -- another text I have to translate
> into Polish. *grumble* Enough of the important good news already, OK? :P

Next time I will present good news to this list, I expect the whole
community to shout "You forgot Poland!" :)

Mathias "my next announcement will be in Polish" Schindler

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Mathias Schindler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland is happy to announce that the German tax office
> just confirmed the Verein's tax-exempt status. We now have the
> continuing ability to issue donation receipts until October 2011.
>
> We're also glad to tell you that we've ordered 15 servers for more
> than 50.000 Euros to serve as squids in the NOC in Amsterdam. Even if
> this is not much in comparison to the whole Wikimedia server cluster,
> it will more than double the server capacities in Europe, which is a
> good start, isn't it?

Hooray! Hardware! Does that mean... toolserver improvements? :)

On 02/11/06, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're also glad to tell you that we've ordered 15 servers for more
> than 50.000 Euros to serve as squids in the NOC in Amsterdam. Even if
> this is not much in comparison to the whole Wikimedia server cluster,
> it will more than double the server capacities in Europe, which is a
> good start, isn't it?

Excellent!

Er, does this create any sort of publisher liability for WM DE?
Something that a judge could try to use in Tron II?

- d.

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Arne Klempert-2
On 11/2/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We're also glad to tell you that we've ordered 15 servers for more
> > than 50.000 Euros to serve as squids in the NOC in Amsterdam. Even if
> > this is not much in comparison to the whole Wikimedia server cluster,
> > it will more than double the server capacities in Europe, which is a
> > good start, isn't it?
> >

> Hooray! Hardware! Does that mean... toolserver improvements? :)

Not really. Afaik there is no need to expand the toolserver hardware
at the moment. If this is wrong and there is something we can do,
please let us know. We were happy to buy some more toolserver stuff,
since the toolserver has been a great investment so far.

Arne

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Arne Klempert-2
> Er, does this create any sort of publisher liability for WM DE?
> Something that a judge could try to use in Tron II?

Providing servers (especially squids) doesn't create publisher
liability for us. We've discussed this with our lawyers at great
length. But in the end, you never know if every single judge will
agree. So time will tell.

Arne

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

oscar-11
yay! herzlich gratuliere!
a very very very good start indeed :-)

when will they be installed, operational etc?

oscar

On 11/2/06, oscar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yay! herzlich gratuliere!
> a very very very good start indeed :-)

Vielen Dank :)

> when will they be installed, operational etc?

They will probably arrive in Amsterdam next week. The rest is up to
Mark and the other tech people.

Arne

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Brad Patrick
Very happy for you and WMF-DE.  Congratulations!

On 11/2/06, Arne Klempert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/2/06, oscar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > yay! herzlich gratuliere!
> > a very very very good start indeed :-)
>
> Vielen Dank :)
>
> > when will they be installed, operational etc?
>
> They will probably arrive in Amsterdam next week. The rest is up to
> Mark and the other tech people.
>
> Arne

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: Good news everyone (tax, servers, amsterdam and wikimedia germany)

Andrew Gray
On 02/11/06, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland is happy to announce that the German tax office
> just confirmed the Verein's tax-exempt status. We now have the
> continuing ability to issue donation receipts until October 2011.

Oh, hurrah!

As an aside, I've just had a quick poke on Meta and couldn't see...
are any other local chapters tax-exempt/charitable? I know WMUK is
attempting to become so, but I don't know the status anywhere else.

--
- Andrew Gray