Good text search for a company intranet?

Good text search for a company intranet?

David Gerard-2
I let slip at work that I know something about MediaWiki and now have
been asked about a text search function that doesn't suck for another
department's MediaWiki installation.

It looks like an install of 1.5b3 that someone installed and forgot
about. I presume it's only got the default search that comes in the
tarball - is that MySQL full-text search or Lucene? If the former,
does anyone have a list of better text searches and how to install
them? Proprietary or semi-proprietary is not an issue as long as it's
free-beer.

(They don't have a sysadmin either [!], so this one might end up being
mine too ...)

- d.

Re: Good text search for a company intranet?

Brion Vibber
David Gerard wrote:
> I let slip at work that I know something about MediaWiki and now have
> been asked about a text search function that doesn't suck for another
> department's MediaWiki installation.
>
> It looks like an install of 1.5b3 that someone installed and forgot
> about. I presume it's only got the default search that comes in the
> tarball - is that MySQL full-text search or Lucene?

MySQL.

> If the former,
> does anyone have a list of better text searches and how to install
> them? Proprietary or semi-proprietary is not an issue as long as it's
> free-beer.

The MySQL search engine mostly works, but is kind of picky; the default
minimum word size and stop-list kind of suck. You can adjust these
things in MySQL; I believe there's a faq entry on this.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend using our Lucene-based system at this
time; while it searches ok the the updating process is kind of a pain
and the configuration and dependencies are finicky.

If you want the best, though, just buy yourself a Google search
appliance. ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Antwort: Re: Good text search for a company intranet?

christoph.huesler
[hidden email] schrieb am 15.11.2006 13:27:55:

> If you want the best, though, just buy yourself a Google search
> appliance. ;)
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

...which sometimes isn't really an option because of limited budget.

-- chris

Re: Good text search for a company intranet?

MHart
> If you want the best, though, just buy yourself a Google search
> appliance. ;)

That's what we did at Intuit. The scripts and such I used to integrate it
are documented here

 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Google_Search-2

- MHart