Goodbye

Michael Bimmler
Dear all,

I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,
because my involvement with Wikimedia is now coming to an end. I could
make this a long email, taking about my time here and giving my
opinion and advice about the state and future of the Wikimedia
movement, but I'd like to keep this fairly short and simple -- many of
you have already received epic emails from me, you don't need another
one ;-)

Suffice to say, that the slightly more than 5 years that I have now
been involved as non-anonymous participant in Wikipedia and Wikimedia
have been very interesting to say the least - certainly a personal
benefit for me, albeit one with ups and downs. In this comparably
short time span, I saw the foundation mature from a rather abstract
concept to a working and professionally staffed NGO with a broad
networks of chapters all around the globe and I have learnt a lot in
this process. I have thought long about whether I should remain
involved with Wikimedia (I originally only resigned from Wikimedia CH
because I am no longer in Switzerland since April and do not foresee
being there other than for vacation in the next couple of years), but
I decided in the end that I prefer a clear cut from everything, rather
than just somewhat reducing my activity, and this year being for me
personally the start of a new era anyways (new university, new country
of residence etc.), it seems quite fitting to move on and start new
pastimes, spend my time on new things.

The little formalities: My tenure with Wikimedia CH ends on Wednesday,
May 27th - my ChapCom and list admin positions end at the end of May
and in general, I am fine with having all my access privileges
(accounts on non-public wikis, list subscriptions etc.) removed or
closed per the end of May.

I wish you all the best -- from now on, I will again rely on what I
read about Wikimedia's fate in the media, albeit taking it with a
pinch of salt...

Goodbye!

Yours truly,

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler

Re: Goodbye

Austin Hair
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,
> because my involvement with Wikimedia is now coming to an end.

Let me just repeat my thanks for all the work you've done, and say
that you'll be missed.  It's been great working with you on ChapCom
and on administering this list.

Austin

(No longer able to slack on monitoring f-l.)

Re: Goodbye

2009/5/26 Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]>:

> I wish you all the best -- from now on, I will again rely on what I
> read about Wikimedia's fate in the media, albeit taking it with a
> pinch of salt...

I give you at most three months before you can no longer resist the
siren call of "Edit this page"  ;-p

Thanks for all your fantastic work, and here's to Austin and Ral's
brains not melting from herding foundation-l :-)

- d.

Re: Goodbye

Sue Gardner
Michael Bimmler!

Officially, seriously: I want to thank you for everything you have done for Wikimedia during the past five years.  You've made many, many useful and intelligent contributions to the movement -- as an editor, in your work with the Swiss chapter, and with the Wikimedia Foundation itself.  In my own first weeks of involvement 18 months ago, you stood out to me as really constructive and committed and helpful.  And you -with Robin and Rupert- took great care of me personally, when I was passing through Zurich earlier this year :-)

I am sorry to see you move on. But I know that it's natural -- this chapter in your life will come to an end, and you'll go on to do more fabulous work in other spheres. (And selfishly, I hope that David Gerard is right -- you will miss Wikimedia too much, and you'll find a way to stay a little involved ;-)  Regardless, I know Wikimedia will count on you to be our friend and ally as we all continue our work.

Many, many thanks for everything you've done. I will miss you, and I'll look forward to hearing about your future accomplishments.

And as always, sorry to top-post :-)
Sue

Re: Goodbye

Erik Moeller-4
2009/5/26 Sue Gardner <[hidden email]>:
> I am sorry to see you move on.

Seconded. Michael, you have been excellent, and you will very much be missed.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Goodbye

Brad Patrick
Best wishes to you and all your future endeavors. --Brad

Re: Goodbye

Dan Rosenthal
Michael,

You and I have had our disagreements, especially over the mailing
list, but nobody can argue with the quality and amount of work you've
done for the Foundation. My best wishes to you at university.

-Dan
On May 26, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,
> because my involvement with Wikimedia is now coming to an end. I could
> make this a long email, taking about my time here and giving my
> opinion and advice about the state and future of the Wikimedia
> movement, but I'd like to keep this fairly short and simple -- many of
> you have already received epic emails from me, you don't need another
> one ;-)
>
> Suffice to say, that the slightly more than 5 years that I have now
> been involved as non-anonymous participant in Wikipedia and Wikimedia
> have been very interesting to say the least - certainly a personal
> benefit for me, albeit one with ups and downs. In this comparably
> short time span, I saw the foundation mature from a rather abstract
> concept to a working and professionally staffed NGO with a broad
> networks of chapters all around the globe and I have learnt a lot in
> this process. I have thought long about whether I should remain
> involved with Wikimedia (I originally only resigned from Wikimedia CH
> because I am no longer in Switzerland since April and do not foresee
> being there other than for vacation in the next couple of years), but
> I decided in the end that I prefer a clear cut from everything, rather
> than just somewhat reducing my activity, and this year being for me
> personally the start of a new era anyways (new university, new country
> of residence etc.), it seems quite fitting to move on and start new
> pastimes, spend my time on new things.
>
> The little formalities: My tenure with Wikimedia CH ends on Wednesday,
> May 27th - my ChapCom and list admin positions end at the end of May
> and in general, I am fine with having all my access privileges
> (accounts on non-public wikis, list subscriptions etc.) removed or
> closed per the end of May.
>
> I wish you all the best -- from now on, I will again rely on what I
> read about Wikimedia's fate in the media, albeit taking it with a
> pinch of salt...
>
> Goodbye!
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Bimmler

Re: Goodbye

Chris Down-2
Thanks for your fantastic work across the board. I do hope that this goodbye
only marks an end of formal involvement, and that you can still come along
from time to time. :)

- Chris

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,
> because my involvement with Wikimedia is now coming to an end. I could
> make this a long email, taking about my time here and giving my
> opinion and advice about the state and future of the Wikimedia
> movement, but I'd like to keep this fairly short and simple -- many of
> you have already received epic emails from me, you don't need another
> one ;-)
>
> Suffice to say, that the slightly more than 5 years that I have now
> been involved as non-anonymous participant in Wikipedia and Wikimedia
> have been very interesting to say the least - certainly a personal
> benefit for me, albeit one with ups and downs. In this comparably
> short time span, I saw the foundation mature from a rather abstract
> concept to a working and professionally staffed NGO with a broad
> networks of chapters all around the globe and I have learnt a lot in
> this process. I have thought long about whether I should remain
> involved with Wikimedia (I originally only resigned from Wikimedia CH
> because I am no longer in Switzerland since April and do not foresee
> being there other than for vacation in the next couple of years), but
> I decided in the end that I prefer a clear cut from everything, rather
> than just somewhat reducing my activity, and this year being for me
> personally the start of a new era anyways (new university, new country
> of residence etc.), it seems quite fitting to move on and start new
> pastimes, spend my time on new things.
>
> The little formalities: My tenure with Wikimedia CH ends on Wednesday,
> May 27th - my ChapCom and list admin positions end at the end of May
> and in general, I am fine with having all my access privileges
> (accounts on non-public wikis, list subscriptions etc.) removed or
> closed per the end of May.
>
> I wish you all the best -- from now on, I will again rely on what I
> read about Wikimedia's fate in the media, albeit taking it with a
> pinch of salt...
>
> Goodbye!
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Bimmler

Re: Goodbye

Delphine Ménard
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 19:50, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,

"Aux âmes bien nées, la valeur n'attend pas le nombre des années."
-- Corneille

If anyone was ever worthy of this quote, you are.

Danke Michael.

(old ;-)) Delphine

--
~notafish

Re: Goodbye

Florence Devouard-3
Michael Bimmler wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,
> because my involvement with Wikimedia is now coming to an end. I could
> make this a long email, taking about my time here and giving my
> opinion and advice about the state and future of the Wikimedia
> movement, but I'd like to keep this fairly short and simple -- many of
> you have already received epic emails from me, you don't need another
> one ;-)
>
> Suffice to say, that the slightly more than 5 years that I have now
> been involved as non-anonymous participant in Wikipedia and Wikimedia
> have been very interesting to say the least - certainly a personal
> benefit for me, albeit one with ups and downs. In this comparably
> short time span, I saw the foundation mature from a rather abstract
> concept to a working and professionally staffed NGO with a broad
> networks of chapters all around the globe and I have learnt a lot in
> this process. I have thought long about whether I should remain
> involved with Wikimedia (I originally only resigned from Wikimedia CH
> because I am no longer in Switzerland since April and do not foresee
> being there other than for vacation in the next couple of years), but
> I decided in the end that I prefer a clear cut from everything, rather
> than just somewhat reducing my activity, and this year being for me
> personally the start of a new era anyways (new university, new country
> of residence etc.), it seems quite fitting to move on and start new
> pastimes, spend my time on new things.
>
> The little formalities: My tenure with Wikimedia CH ends on Wednesday,
> May 27th - my ChapCom and list admin positions end at the end of May
> and in general, I am fine with having all my access privileges
> (accounts on non-public wikis, list subscriptions etc.) removed or
> closed per the end of May.
>
> I wish you all the best -- from now on, I will again rely on what I
> read about Wikimedia's fate in the media, albeit taking it with a
> pinch of salt...
>
> Goodbye!
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Michael

I already expressed my feelings and thanks to you a few weeks ago.
You are simply a wonderful person and I know our paths will cross again.
A bientôt.

Ant

Re: Goodbye

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 18:50, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to use this opportunity to say "Goodbye" to all of you,
> because my involvement with Wikimedia is now coming to an end. I could
> make this a long email, taking about my time here and giving my
> opinion and advice about the state and future of the Wikimedia
> movement, but I'd like to keep this fairly short and simple -- many of
> you have already received epic emails from me, you don't need another
> one ;-)

Can't believed I missed this e-mail. Thank you for everything you've
done for Wikimedia, Michael, but I don't have to say farewell in quite
the same way since I'm coming to that same university you mention with
you this October, as you know. Looking forward to meeting you in real
life, even if I say farewell to you online!

Sean Whitton / <[hidden email]>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x25F4EAB7

Re: Goodbye

Comet styles
Bye Mikey !!. May your children edit wikipedia in years to come and make fun
of Old man jimbo and biker man cary :P