Google Code-in: Get your tasks for young contributors prepared

Google Code-in: Get your tasks for young contributors prepared

Andre Klapper-2
(An early heads-up that Google Code-in 2017 has been announced.)

GCI is an annual contest for 13-17 year old students. It will take
place from Nov28 to Jan17 and is not only about coding tasks.

For some achievements from last round, see
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/02/03/google-code-in/
For complete info about Google Code-in, check
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in/Mentors

While we wait whether Wikimedia will get accepted:

* You have small, self-contained bugs you'd like to see fixed?
* Your documentation needs specific improvements?
* Your user interface has small design issues?
* Your Outreachy/Summer of Code project welcomes small tweaks?
* You'd enjoy helping someone port your template to Lua?
* Your gadget code uses some deprecated API calls?
* You have tasks in mind that welcome some research?

Also note that "Beginner tasks" (e.g. "Set up Vagrant" etc) and
"generic" tasks are very welcome (e.g. "Choose & fix 2 PHP7 issues
from the list in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120336 ").
Because we will need hundreds of tasks. :)

And we also have more than 400 unassigned open 'easy' tasks listed:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/HCyOonSbFn.z/#R

Please take a moment to find / update [Phabricator etc.] tasks in your
roject(s) which would take an experienced contributor 2-3 hours. Check

   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in/Mentors

and please ask if you have any questions!

Thanks!,
andre

--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Google Code-in: Get your tasks for young contributors prepared

Fæ
Do we support any equivalent events which positively encourage contributors
from other age groups?

Fae
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LGBT+
http://telegram.me/wmlgbt

On 3 Oct 2017 22:49, "Andre Klapper" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (An early heads-up that Google Code-in 2017 has been announced.)
>
> GCI is an annual contest for 13-17 year old students. It will take
> place from Nov28 to Jan17 and is not only about coding tasks.
>
> For some achievements from last round, see
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/02/03/google-code-in/
> For complete info about Google Code-in, check
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in/Mentors
>
> While we wait whether Wikimedia will get accepted:
>
> * You have small, self-contained bugs you'd like to see fixed?
> * Your documentation needs specific improvements?
> * Your user interface has small design issues?
> * Your Outreachy/Summer of Code project welcomes small tweaks?
> * You'd enjoy helping someone port your template to Lua?
> * Your gadget code uses some deprecated API calls?
> * You have tasks in mind that welcome some research?
>
> Also note that "Beginner tasks" (e.g. "Set up Vagrant" etc) and
> "generic" tasks are very welcome (e.g. "Choose & fix 2 PHP7 issues
> from the list in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120336 ").
> Because we will need hundreds of tasks. :)
>
> And we also have more than 400 unassigned open 'easy' tasks listed:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/HCyOonSbFn.z/#R
>
> Please take a moment to find / update [Phabricator etc.] tasks in your
> roject(s) which would take an experienced contributor 2-3 hours. Check
>
>    https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in/Mentors
>
> and please ask if you have any questions!
>
> Thanks!,
> andre
>
> --
> Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
> http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: [offtopic] Google Code-in: Get your tasks for young contributors prepared

Andre Klapper-2
On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 14:24 +0100, Fæ wrote:
> Do we support any equivalent events which positively encourage
> contributors from other age groups?

Not sure how to interpret 'equivalent'. Outreach programs: I'm aware of
Outreachy and Google Summer of Code. There might be more / other
initiatives (Hackathons etc.) organized by members of our communities.

andre