Google removes "View image" button from image search results

Google removes "View image" button from image search results

Chris Koerner-2
Preemptive apology for the cross-post

I haven't seen this noted anywhere in our community and thought it was
worthy of discussion.

Google has removed an easily accessible button that would take you
directly to the image file in search results. I wonder what impact
this may have, if any,  on the discovery and use of images hosted on
Wikimedia projects (most notably Commons) that appear in these Google
search results.

https://twitter.com/searchliaison/status/964226180776845312

See also: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/17017864/google-removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

Hat tip to Quim Gil for sharing.

Yours,
Chris Koerner
Community Liaison

Re: Google removes "View image" button from image search results

Jaime Crespo-2
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Chris Koerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Google has removed an easily accessible button that would take you
directly to the image file in search results. I wonder what impact
this may have, if any,  on the discovery and use of images hosted on
Wikimedia projects (most notably Commons) that appear in these Google
search results.

Are you guessing positive because people will have to access the actual pages and will be more aware of licensing and context, or negative because it could reduce the visibility/reusage? Or not guessing at all :-)

Re: Google removes "View image" button from image search results

Chris Koerner-2
Ha! I'm trying to remain neutral, so no guessing either way from me.
However, if someone smarter than I has any statistics to share in the
recent weeks, I would be very interested to see if there is any
measurable impact.

Yours,
Chris Koerner
Community Liaison