Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Nando Stöcklin-2
Dear everybody

Jimmy Wales was awarded the Gottlieb Duttweiler prize, according to a press release from last week: http://www.presseportal.ch/de/pm/100002688/100611726/gottlieb_duttweiler_institut_gdi

The price is worth 100'000 CHF and will be awarded on 26 January 2011 in Zurich by Roger de Weck. The Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute has also invited some Swiss Wikipedians to the awards show. The Wikipedians are selected by GDI, with the help of Frédéric, Ilario, Manuel, Patrick and me. The GDI's criteria for the selection were:
- Long term Wikipedians.
- Notably active Wikipedians in terms of editing in WP or in meta like organizing RL meetings.
- Wikipedians from different Wikipedia versions.

Nando

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Michael Kühntopf

Wer wird von uns dabei sein?

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Dr. Michael Kühntopf

Dorngasse 8 - CH-8967 Widen AG

Telefon:        + 41 (0) 56 6 40 06 57

Telefon:        + 41 (0) 56 6 31 61 21

Telefax:        + 41 (0) 56 6 40 06 58

E-Mail:           [hidden email]

Web:                    www.kuehntopf.ch

Web Wikipedia:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Michael_K%C3%BChntopf

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Nando Stöcklin-2
2010/10/14 Michael Kühntopf <[hidden email]>

Wer wird von uns dabei sein?

Es entzieht sich meiner Kenntnis,
- wen das GDI letztlich alles angefragt hat und
- wer davon sich den Termin einrichten kann und will.

Insofern kann ich diese Frage leider derzeit noch nicht beantworten.

Besten Gruss,
Nando

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Michael Kühntopf

Danke. Bis dahin.

M. K.

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Rama Neko
Can we have press accreditations for this event?
  -- Rama

On 14/10/2010, Michael Kühntopf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Danke. Bis dahin.
>

> M. K.

>   _____

Frédéric Schütz
Rama Neko wrote:

> Can we have press accreditations for this event?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: this is obviously the first thing we thought about (the
original idea comes from Ludo), since it makes a lot of sense. Nando
asked the GDI about this, and they replied that they will have an
exclusive photographer, and we'll be able to use the pictures on
Wikipedia afterwards. I doubt that they asked the photograph about the
idea of free license, though.

Nando will discuss this point again with them, and we will ask again --
but seeing how the whole event is organized, I am not too optimistic.

Frédéric

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Patrick Borer
Frederic Schutz wrote:

> Rama Neko wrote:
>
>> Can we have press accreditations for this event?
>
> Short answer: no.
>
> Long answer: this is obviously the first thing we thought about (the
> original idea comes from Ludo), since it makes a lot of sense. Nando
> asked the GDI about this, and they replied that they will have an
> exclusive photographer, and we'll be able to use the pictures on
> Wikipedia afterwards. I doubt that they asked the photograph about the
> idea of free license, though.

A rather grotesque prospect: no free images (as we all know, a "use on
Wikipedia" license will not do) of a prize awarded to the founder of
Wikipedia... it really should be made sure that the photographer
releases at least some pictures under a free license...

Regards
Patrick Borer

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Ilario Valdelli
  On 16.10.2010 01:46, Patrick Borer wrote:

> A rather grotesque prospect: no free images (as we all know, a "use on
> Wikipedia" license will not do) of a prize awarded to the founder of
> Wikipedia... it really should be made sure that the photographer
> releases at least some pictures under a free license...
>
> Regards
> Patrick Borer

It's not grotesque, it's the reality.

Please have in mind that is Jimbo to receive the prize and not
"Wikipedia". They think to award Wikipedia through Jimbo.

In my opinion there is a big problem of communication and it's evident
that this GDI doesn't know the philosophy of Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

In this event all is grotesque.

Ilario

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Ludovic Péron
this GDI doesn't know the philosophy of Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

I'm agree this you. I think it's the problem.

Ludo

2010/10/16 Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>
 On 16.10.2010 01:46, Patrick Borer wrote:

> A rather grotesque prospect: no free images (as we all know, a "use on
> Wikipedia" license will not do) of a prize awarded to the founder of
> Wikipedia... it really should be made sure that the photographer
> releases at least some pictures under a free license...
>
> Regards
> Patrick Borer

It's not grotesque, it's the reality.

Please have in mind that is Jimbo to receive the prize and not
"Wikipedia". They think to award Wikipedia through Jimbo.

In my opinion there is a big problem of communication and it's evident
that this GDI doesn't know the philosophy of Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

In this event all is grotesque.

Ilario

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Rama Neko
I'd be glad to come it could be useful by providing Free content or
photographs. I am much less interested playing cheerleader at social
events.
  -- Rama

On 16/10/2010, Ludovic Péron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *this GDI doesn't know the philosophy of Wikipedia/Wikimedia.*
>
> I'm agree this you. I think it's the problem.
>
> Ludo
>
> 2010/10/16 Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>
>
>>  On 16.10.2010 01:46, Patrick Borer wrote:
>> >
>> > A rather grotesque prospect: no free images (as we all know, a "use on
>> > Wikipedia" license will not do) of a prize awarded to the founder of
>> > Wikipedia... it really should be made sure that the photographer
>> > releases at least some pictures under a free license...
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Patrick Borer
>> >
>> It's not grotesque, it's the reality.
>>
>> Please have in mind that is Jimbo to receive the prize and not
>> "Wikipedia". They think to award Wikipedia through Jimbo.
>>
>> In my opinion there is a big problem of communication and it's evident
>> that this GDI doesn't know the philosophy of Wikipedia/Wikimedia.
>>
>> In this event all is grotesque.
>>
>> Ilario

Re: Gottlieb Duttweiler Prize 2011

Patrick Borer
Ilario Valdelli wrote:
(...)
> Please have in mind that is Jimbo to receive the prize and not
> "Wikipedia". They think to award Wikipedia through Jimbo.
>
> In my opinion there is a big problem of communication and it's evident
> that this GDI doesn't know the philosophy of Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

Well, one could maybe expect that an organization intending to award
Wikipedia through Jimbo should be aware of Wikipedia's philosophy and
policies - after all, shouldn't they know what it is they're awarding?
Wishful thinking, probably...

Regards
Patrick Borer