Govt consultation on copyright

Chris Keating-2
Dear all,

The Government has recently announced a consultation on about changes to copyright law. This follows a review of the existing arrangements by Professor Hargreaves over the summer.

Do people feel we should respond? (Or to reverse the question, can anyone see good reasons for us *not* to respond? Just to be clear, charities are quite allowed to do things like this so long as lobbying doesn't become their main purpose...)

If we are going to respond, who would be interested in helping work on our response? Do you know other people who we should be working with or talking to on issues like this?

Regards,

Chris

Re: Govt consultation on copyright

Rod Ward

Chris,

This is an important issues & I would say we should definitely respond.

I would offer to help but family health issues (& a ton of marking for work) mean I can’t give mush time at present.

I would suggest CILIP (http://www.cilip.org.uk/ ) in the UK and Creative Commons (http://creativecommons.org/) more generally as useful organisations to consult with.

Rod

The Government has recently announced a consultation on about changes to copyright law. This follows a review of the existing arrangements by Professor Hargreaves over the summer.

Do people feel we should respond? (Or to reverse the question, can anyone see good reasons for us *not* to respond? Just to be clear, charities are quite allowed to do things like this so long as lobbying doesn't become their main purpose...)

If we are going to respond, who would be interested in helping work on our response? Do you know other people who we should be working with or talking to on issues like this?

Regards,

Chris

No virus found in this message.

Re: Govt consultation on copyright

Andy Mabbett-2
On 27 December 2011 09:42, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do people feel we should respond?

Yes; and we should also encourage individuals to respond in their own
name. We should discourage pro-forma replies, but we might want to
provide a list off issues and which they may wish to address or points
they may wish to make.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Govt consultation on copyright

Thomas Dalton
On 27 December 2011 09:42, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The Government has recently announced a consultation on about changes to
> copyright law. This follows a review of the existing arrangements by
> Professor Hargreaves over the summer.
>
> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/pro-policy/consult/consult-live/consult-2011-copyright.htm
>
> Do people feel we should respond? (Or to reverse the question, can anyone
> see good reasons for us *not* to respond? Just to be clear, charities are
> quite allowed to do things like this so long as lobbying doesn't become
> their main purpose...)

I haven't read the consultation documents yet, but as a general rule I
think we should respond to any consultation about topics relevant to
us. It's a good way to get the relevant people to recognise our name
and to make sure they consider the impact of their decisions on a
section of our society, culture and economy that is very easy to
forget due to so few people really understanding it.

Re: Govt consultation on copyright

Tom Morris-5
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 13:46, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 December 2011 09:42, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The Government has recently announced a consultation on about changes to
>> copyright law. This follows a review of the existing arrangements by
>> Professor Hargreaves over the summer.
>>
>> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/pro-policy/consult/consult-live/consult-2011-copyright.htm
>>
>> Do people feel we should respond? (Or to reverse the question, can anyone
>> see good reasons for us *not* to respond? Just to be clear, charities are
>> quite allowed to do things like this so long as lobbying doesn't become
>> their main purpose...)
>
> I haven't read the consultation documents yet, but as a general rule I
> think we should respond to any consultation about topics relevant to
> us. It's a good way to get the relevant people to recognise our name
> and to make sure they consider the impact of their decisions on a
> section of our society, culture and economy that is very easy to
> forget due to so few people really understanding it.

I made a similar suggestion last year about making a response to the
government's public consultation on the formation of the Public Data
Corporation.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Govt consultation on copyright

geni
On 27 December 2011 09:42, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The Government has recently announced a consultation on about changes to
> copyright law. This follows a review of the existing arrangements by
> Professor Hargreaves over the summer.
>
> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/pro-policy/consult/consult-live/consult-2011-copyright.htm
>
> Do people feel we should respond?

With a lute perhaps? Fiddling around the edges while copyright burns.
The whole orphan works issue. Or the abolition of copyright for the
little guy to give it is proper name. Its simply a predictable result
of the insanely long copyright terms we have at present. The rest is
much the same 172 pages of fiddling with little to no actual
significance.

> (Or to reverse the question, can anyone
> see good reasons for us *not* to respond? Just to be clear, charities are
> quite allowed to do things like this so long as lobbying doesn't become
> their main purpose...)

Better ways to spend our time mostly. So far the only thing I've found
that might be of any real interest to us is the proposed Copyright
Notice Service. Since it would the power to clarify the law in certain
areas it seems unlikely that it would be in our interests to see such
a body to come into existence. At the present time we benefit from
grey areas.

The other thing we need to defend against is the Extended Collective
Licensing stuff. We need to make sure that CC-BY-SA and the GPL and
similar are recognised as opt outs and that attempts by any societies
to claim in such cases should be classified as fraud and prosecuted as
such.

The rest is mostly relevant to libraries, archives and schools. Not us.

--
geni