Graphs demo

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Graph extension <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph> is now
live on http://graphtest.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page

Hopefully the main page will stay somewhat presentable :)

Re: Graphs demo

Jon Robson-2
Nice! This is interesting. Back at the Switzerland hackathon Dan
Andrescu knocked up a Visualisation namespace and I guess this is
based on that?

I'm concerned by the use of the graph tag however, and I'm not sure we
should be promoting its usage. Wikitext is already rather complicated
and every template or bunch of data that gets added makes it harder
for non-technical people  to edit.

Rather than having a graph tag  containing data which will not make
sense to technical users could we imagine something is there any plan
to support something like <graph title="Visualisation:Stock
markets"></graph>? Separating this into another namespace also allows
us to create useful graph editors.

Also how does this fit into https://github.com/jdlrobson/WikiMaps? It
would be great to have a one fit all generic extension that handles
all these use cases.

A generic Visualisation namespace would be awesome.

Hopefully the main page will stay somewhat presentable :)

Re: Graphs demo

Antoine Musso-3
Le 15/08/2014 22:17, Jon Robson a écrit :
> Rather than having a graph tag  containing data which will not make
> sense to technical users could we imagine something is there any plan
> to support something like <graph title="Visualisation:Stock
> markets"></graph>? Separating this into another namespace also allows
> us to create useful graph editors.

Looking at the demo wiki, it seems to use a dedicated namespace (graph)
which saves some json.  The graph is then included as usual:

 {{graph:Stocks}}

Seems fine to me :-]

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Graphs demo

Jon Robson
Yeh it looks like it is supported which is great, but it seems the bit
that got me confused was the section 'embedded directly'.

I had thought the whole point of a visualisation/graph/map namespace
was to separate the data and use JsonContentHandler, not to mix
content.

My main concern is the bit under "embedded directly" e.g. this type of thing:
<graph>
{
  "width": 400,
</graph>

What I worry about is if this inline graphing is available out of the
box then we are promoting this kind of editing which makes editing
harder for newcomers and I think we should be moving away from it....

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 15/08/2014 22:17, Jon Robson a écrit :
>> Rather than having a graph tag  containing data which will not make
>> sense to technical users could we imagine something is there any plan
>> to support something like <graph title="Visualisation:Stock
>> markets"></graph>? Separating this into another namespace also allows
>> us to create useful graph editors.
>
> Looking at the demo wiki, it seems to use a dedicated namespace (graph)
> which saves some json.  The graph is then included as usual:
>
>  {{graph:Stocks}}
>
> Seems fine to me :-]
>
> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso