Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Sue Gardner-2
Hi all,

I am delighted to tell you that Google is giving Wikimedia a grant of
USD 2 million.  It will come to us via the Google Fund at the Tides
Foundation, which handles all of Google's philanthropic activity, and
it is completely unrestricted.

We'll be putting out a press release tomorrow, but I wanted to tell
you beforehand.  This is really great news.  It's important to us
financially, of course, but I see it as equally important from a
symbolic perspective.  I believe that Wikimedia and Google are natural
allies and partners --- we both want to help provide people everywhere
around the world with information.  It seems natural to me that Google
would want to support Wikimedia's work, and I am happy they are doing
it.

You probably know that Google and Wikimedia -–both editors and
Wikimedia Foundation staff-- have, from time to time, collaborated on
projects together.  (For example, the Google team has created
functionality inside the Google Translate Toolkit that enables editing
and uploading of translated articles to Wikipedia.)  This grant will
not be channeled specifically towards Google-related activities: it
will go into our general operating revenues. Having said that, I look
forward to Google and Wikimedia continuing to do good work together.

The press release is below.  It will go out tomorrow morning , but you
don't need to keep this news confidential.  Feel free to tell your
friends :-)

Thanks,
Sue Gardner

Wikimedia Foundation announces $2 million grant from Google
Donation will support capacity investments in Wikipedia and other free
knowledge projects

EMBARGOED UNTIL 8:00AM PST, February 17 2009

SAN FRANCISCO, CA February 17, 2009 -- The Wikimedia Foundation, the
non-profit that operates Wikipedia, today announced that it has
received a $2 million (USD) grant from the Google Inc. Charitable
Giving Fund of Tides Foundation. This is the Wikimedia Foundation's
first grant from Google. The funds will support core operational costs
of the Wikimedia Foundation, including investments in technical
infrastructure to support rapidly-increasing global traffic and
capacity demands. The funds will also be used to support the
organization's efforts to make Wikipedia easier to use and more
accessible.

"Wikipedia is one of the greatest triumphs of the internet," offered
Google co-founder Sergey Brin. "This vast repository of
community-generated content is an invaluable resource to anyone who is
online."

Wikipedia founder and Wikimedia Foundation board member, Jimmy Wales,
also commented on the Google gift. "We are very pleased and grateful.
This is a wonderful gift, and we celebrate it as recognition of the
long-term alignment and friendship between Google and Wikimedia. Both
organizations are committed to bringing high quality information to
hundreds of millions of individuals every day, and to making the
Internet better for everyone."

The two organizations have a long-standing working relationship. Most
recently, Google and the Wikimedia Foundation have partnered to
support translation of Wikipedia content into key languages with
relatively small Wikipedia editions. Google's Translation Toolkit
supports direct online translation of Wikipedia articles, and has been
used by Google in Wikipedia translation pilot projects with speakers
of Arabic, Hindi, and Swahili.

Sue Gardner, executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation, offered:
"It is wonderful that Google has stepped forward as a major supporter
of a global, non-profit information commons. With this generous grant,
we will be able to fund additional operations and development work to
increase access and contributions to our free knowledge projects
globally."

Wikimedia's support comes primarily from individual donations made by
regular users of Wikipedia. The Wikimedia Foundation completed its
2009-10 fundraiser in January. During the drive, 240,000 individuals
donated more than $8 million, representing three quarters of its
planned revenue for the fiscal year.

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

James Alexander-3
That is amazing! Congrats guys! It actually seems quite surprising to me to
see such a large gift be totally unrestricted when most gifts of this size
always seem to have ifs/ands or butts attached.

User:Jamesofur
James Alexander
100 gmail invites and no one to give them to :( let me know if you want one
:)

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> increase access and contributions to our free knowledge projects
> globally."
>
> Wikimedia's support comes primarily from individual donations made by
> regular users of Wikipedia. The Wikimedia Foundation completed its
> 2009-10 fundraiser in January. During the drive, 240,000 individuals
> donated more than $8 million, representing three quarters of its
> planned revenue for the fiscal year.
>
> --
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 415 839 6885 office
> 415 816 9967 cell
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Thomas Dalton
On 17 February 2010 02:37, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is amazing! Congrats guys! It actually seems quite surprising to me to
> see such a large gift be totally unrestricted when most gifts of this size
> always seem to have ifs/ands or butts attached.

I agree, this is fantastic news, especially because it is
unrestricted. Large unrestricted grants are a great way to diversify
the Foundation's revenue sources, which significantly improves the
Foundation's sustainability.

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Wilfredor
WOW Overwhelming!!!

2010/2/16 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>

> On 17 February 2010 02:37, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > That is amazing! Congrats guys! It actually seems quite surprising to me
> > see such a large gift be totally unrestricted when most gifts of this
> size
> > always seem to have ifs/ands or butts attached.
>
> I agree, this is fantastic news, especially because it is
> unrestricted. Large unrestricted grants are a great way to diversify
> the Foundation's revenue sources, which significantly improves the
> Foundation's sustainability.

Lcdo. Wilfredo Rafael Rodríguez Hernández

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

shi zhao
Chinese report: http://tech.163.com/10/0217/12/5VNMNPCH000915BF.html

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://shizhao.org
twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

2010/2/17 Wilfredo Rodriguez <[hidden email]>:

> WOW Overwhelming!!!
>
> 2010/2/16 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 17 February 2010 02:37, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > That is amazing! Congrats guys! It actually seems quite surprising to me
>> > see such a large gift be totally unrestricted when most gifts of this
>> size
>> > always seem to have ifs/ands or butts attached.
>>
>> I agree, this is fantastic news, especially because it is
>> unrestricted. Large unrestricted grants are a great way to diversify
>> the Foundation's revenue sources, which significantly improves the
>> Foundation's sustainability.

> Lcdo. Wilfredo Rafael Rodríguez Hernández

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Ting Chen-2
Thank you very much Shizhao for sharing this. I find the text remarkable
informative and precise for a Chinese online agency.

Ting

shi zhao wrote:

> Chinese report: http://tech.163.com/10/0217/12/5VNMNPCH000915BF.html
>
> Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
> My blog: http://shizhao.org
> twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao
>
> [[zh:User:Shizhao]]
>

> 2010/2/17 Wilfredo Rodriguez <[hidden email]>:
>
>> WOW Overwhelming!!!

>>> size

>>> I agree, this is fantastic news, especially because it is
>>> unrestricted. Large unrestricted grants are a great way to diversify
>>> the Foundation's revenue sources, which significantly improves the
>>> Foundation's sustainability.

>> --
>> Lcdo. Wilfredo Rafael Rodríguez Hernández

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Luna-4
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am delighted to tell you that Google is giving Wikimedia a grant of
> USD 2 million.  It will come to us via the Google Fund at the Tides
> Foundation, which handles all of Google's philanthropic activity, and
> it is completely unrestricted.

Wow! Many thanks to Google, and congratulations to Wikimedia!

--
Luna Santin
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Luna_Santin>

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

metasj
Congratulations to the foundation team for the work that went into this!

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is amazing! Congrats guys! It actually seems quite surprising to me to
> see such a large gift be totally unrestricted when most gifts of this size
< always seem to have ifs/ands or buts attached.

It is rather amazing, and a lovely sign of support.

SJ,
hoping to see an endowment set up soon

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Bod Notbod
Excellent news. I'm a big fan of Google (not saying they won't ever
turn evil!) and switching between Google and Wikimedia
products/projects accounts for 90% of my time online. It's great to
see them both in harmony with each other.

The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?

I vote we remove everything from our Google articles regarding privacy
concerns for one day and put a banner on the articles saying:

"Wikimedia Thanks Google with This Slightly More Positive Article Than Usual!"

And then tomorrow we just revert our own edits.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Domas Mituzas
Hello,

> The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?

We can thank them by providing better content to everyone. That is both what they and us want.

Domas

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

thekohser
Wow, this is big news!  Now with Google cooperating with the National
Security Agency, everything seems to be lining up for Wikimedia.

Gregory Kohs

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
You ask for a better idea :)

Google just finished the Swahili Wikipedia challenge. Google very much wants
to grow traffic, any traffic in African indigenous languages. Spending money
directly on any language is imho a bad idea but I would welcome statistics
that show what people are looking for in Wikipedia that they cannot find.
When you add statistics on new articles that proved most popular in the last
month(s), we provide ANY Wikipedian a mechanism to learn what articles make
most sense to write and show what did best.

This will benefit all our project and the smaller projects will benefit most
I expect. <grin> it is not even expensive to implement I guess.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 17 February 2010 15:38, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent news. I'm a big fan of Google (not saying they won't ever
> turn evil!) and switching between Google and Wikimedia
> products/projects accounts for 90% of my time online. It's great to
> see them both in harmony with each other.
>
> The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?
>
> I vote we remove everything from our Google articles regarding privacy
> concerns for one day and put a banner on the articles saying:
>
> "Wikimedia Thanks Google with This Slightly More Positive Article Than
> Usual!"
>
> And then tomorrow we just revert our own edits.
>
> Does anyone have a better idea?

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Anthony-73
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?

The prior question is, where did the money come from?  I can't seem to
figure out what the Google Fund at the Tides Foundation is...

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The prior question is, where did the money come from?  I can't seem to
> figure out what the Google Fund at the Tides Foundation is...

It does seem slightly opaque.

A small amount of digging suggests that Google gives money to here:

http://www.tides.org/index.php

...which then releases it again on Google's say so. Maybe. My only
evidence for this is really:

http://bit.ly/d5I3PD

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Jimmy Wales-3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donor_advised_fund

"Tides Foundation offers donor advised funds and other grantmaking
vehicles as well as professional philanthropic advice, institutional
regranting services, comprehensive grants management and much more."

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Philippe Beaudette-2

On Feb 17, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Bod Notbod wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The prior question is, where did the money come from?  I can't seem
>> figure out what the Google Fund at the Tides Foundation is...
>
> It does seem slightly opaque.
>
> A small amount of digging suggests that Google gives money to here:
>
> http://www.tides.org/index.php
>
> ...which then releases it again on Google's say so. Maybe. My only
> evidence for this is really:
>
> http://bit.ly/d5I3PD

This response is drawn from my previous knowledge of the Tides
Foundation, and no particular knowledge of how Google is using them:

In my experience in the past, the Tides Foundation manages a
charitable fund for an entity.  Essentially, the entity gives money to
this fund, and then says "Hey, these people are doing good work, let's
help them do more of it..."; Tides then goes through and handles the
legal due diligence and the paperworky stuff that no one really wants
to do. :-)

Philippe

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Judson Dunn-2
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?
>
> We can thank them by providing better content to everyone. That is both what they and us want.

And making the API more awesome, which helps everyone. :D

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion

On 17 February 2010 14:44, Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?

> We can thank them by providing better content to everyone. That is both what they and us want.

Indeed. Note, by the way, I believe we've previously received money
from Microsoft Bing. (Who heavily link and I think mirror Wikipedia
content in their results.)

- d.

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

geni
On 17 February 2010 17:18, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 February 2010 14:44, Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> The question is, how do we thank the company that has everything?
>
>> We can thank them by providing better content to everyone. That is both what they and us want.
>

> Indeed. Note, by the way, I believe we've previously received money
> from Microsoft Bing. (Who heavily link and I think mirror Wikipedia
> content in their results.)
>

> - d.

No in the results. Bing Reference is a wikipedia mirror though.
Microsoft also link to wikipedia articles on multimap. Their
representative use that to defend themselves against the that modern
navigation technology was making people pay less attention to their
surroundings.

--
geni

Re: Great news! Google gives Wikimedia USD 2 million

Renata St
Yes, congrats! Awesome work!

I read that this morning on my phone in the news summary for the day during
the subway ride to work.

Renata