HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

Daniel Phelps
Hello Everyone,

Recently we've been having some internal conversations regarding transparency for our hiring, recruiting and contracting.  In efforts to be more proactive about sharing this information we're moving to a system of tweeting short bursts of announcements.  This will be done in a "bot" style voice not unlike the WMF tech feeds.  The idea is that we'll get the information out on new hires and new contractors and consultants working with us along with new job openings etc.  Basically the streams will recap the comings and goings in a short and sweet format.

I invite you all to see these data streams - http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork/all or http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwork.  Eventually we also hope to find more ways to use this feed for recruiting and reaching out to a larger candidate pool and audience.  There will also be times where we link the streams or feeds to longer and more detailed blog postings.

-Daniel

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

K. Peachey
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Daniel Phelps <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Recently we've been having some internal conversations regarding transparency for our hiring, recruiting and contracting.  In efforts to be more proactive about sharing this information we're moving to a system of tweeting short bursts of announcements.  This will be done in a "bot" style voice not unlike the WMF tech feeds.  The idea is that we'll get the information out on new hires and new contractors and consultants working with us along with new job openings etc.  Basically the streams will recap the comings and goings in a short and sweet format.
>
> I invite you all to see these data streams - http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork/all or http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwork.  Eventually we also hope to find more ways to use this feed for recruiting and reaching out to a larger candidate pool and audience.  There will also be times where we link the streams or feeds to longer and more detailed blog postings.
>
> -Daniel
So you know, all the times people asked to have better systems to
inform of new hirings such as on wiki pages but get told it would take
too long to update them, you decide to implement a even more stupid
and time consuming system in which limited information can be sent
out.
-Peachey

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

Steven Walling
I don't think that was constructive criticism. Personally I think that
Foundation staff should be applauded for trying to be more transparent about
hiring, even if you disagree with what they might be experimenting with.

Steven Walling

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM, K. Peachey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Daniel Phelps <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Recently we've been having some internal conversations regarding
> transparency for our hiring, recruiting and contracting.  In efforts to be
> more proactive about sharing this information we're moving to a system of
> tweeting short bursts of announcements.  This will be done in a "bot" style
> voice not unlike the WMF tech feeds.  The idea is that we'll get the
> information out on new hires and new contractors and consultants working
> with us along with new job openings etc.  Basically the streams will recap
> the comings and goings in a short and sweet format.
> >
> > I invite you all to see these data streams -
> http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork/all or http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwork.
>  Eventually we also hope to find more ways to use this feed for recruiting
> and reaching out to a larger candidate pool and audience.  There will also
> be times where we link the streams or feeds to longer and more detailed blog
> postings.
> >
> > -Daniel
> So you know, all the times people asked to have better systems to
> inform of new hirings such as on wiki pages but get told it would take
> too long to update them, you decide to implement a even more stupid
> and time consuming system in which limited information can be sent
> out.
> -Peachey

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

William Pietri
K. Peachey wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Daniel Phelps <[hidden email]>
> [...]
>> I invite you all to see these data streams -
>> http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork/all or
>> http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwork.  Eventually we also hope to find
>> more ways to use this feed for recruiting and reaching out to a larger
>> candidate pool and audience.  There will also be times where we link the
>> streams or feeds to longer and more detailed blog postings.
>>
>> -Daniel
> So you know, all the times people asked to have better systems to
> inform of new hirings such as on wiki pages but get told it would take
> too long to update them, you decide to implement a even more stupid
> and time consuming system in which limited information can be sent
> out.
> -Peachey

The microblog seems like a pretty reasonable approach to me, really. At my
company we're doing a lot of internal documentation via blog and microblog
entries. Those platforms are very easy to update, keeping costs low.
Unlike wiki pages, they don't create an ongoing maintenance burden, or set
false expectations about the freshness of the content.

Don't get me wrong, I love wikis. But if the goal is to keep people
updated on the status of something, the tools built around status updates
are pretty swell.

Anyhow, I appreciate any and all steps the WMF takes toward greater
transparency.

William

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

MZMcBride-2
Daniel Phelps wrote:
> I invite you all to see these data streams -
> http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork/all or http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwork.

Thank you very much for giving this issue some focus. It was definitely
needed and I think this is a step in the right direction. This particular
approach seems pretty unconventional, even for Wikimedia. There is a page at
Meta-Wiki that takes a more conventional approach to this type of thing:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_contractors

> Eventually we also hope to find more ways to use this feed for recruiting and
> reaching out to a larger candidate pool and audience.

One might suggest that the people spending their day on Twitter reading
Wikimedia's "wikimediaatwork" feed aren't going to be the best prospective
employees.

Again, thanks for creating a feed. :-)

MZMcBride

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Twitter and Identi.ca (microblogging systems) are faster alternatives to the
usual blog post, and they spread the word in an effective way (followers can
retweet if it is interesting). Today, with the information flooding that we
suffer, micromessages system and alerts are the only way we can filter what
we like.

And, of course, you have the Job openings wikipage.[1]

I think that it is a good idea.

Regards,
emijrp

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings

On 3 September 2010 04:49, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One might suggest that the people spending their day on Twitter reading
> Wikimedia's "wikimediaatwork" feed aren't going to be the best prospective
> employees.

http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork/all/rss

The back-end for such a feed is not really critical. The main thing is
that it exists.

If there's an RSS-embedding widget that's up to our standards, it
might be a good thing to put on the relevant WMF wiki page.

- d.

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

Angela-5
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If there's an RSS-embedding widget that's up to our standards, it
> might be a good thing to put on the relevant WMF wiki page.

It may be better to have a bot copy the content into the wiki page
instead of only displaying the RSS. That way the history remains on
the wiki and you're not relying on a third party to provide a copy of
the content. I've found that embedding Twitter feeds in a wiki too
often results in timeouts.

Angela

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

David Gerard-2
On 3 September 2010 13:38, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> If there's an RSS-embedding widget that's up to our standards, it
>> might be a good thing to put on the relevant WMF wiki page.

> It may be better to have a bot copy the content into the wiki page
> instead of only displaying the RSS. That way the history remains on
> the wiki and you're not relying on a third party to provide a copy of
> the content. I've found that embedding Twitter feeds in a wiki too
> often results in timeouts.

+1

- d.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think that was constructive criticism. Personally I think that
> Foundation staff should be applauded for trying to be more transparent about
> hiring, even if you disagree with what they might be experimenting with.
>
> Steven Walling
You mean the transparency that they have been repeatably asked for in
the past by people and was denied by staff because updating even a
simple on wiki list would "take too long"? Although i guess a
microblog feed will make it easier for people such as those staff and
contractors who had to ask other staff (who apparently had to ask even
more people) about who people in the building even were and if they
were meant to be there.
-Peachey

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

William Pietri
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I don't think that was constructive criticism. Personally I think that
>> Foundation staff should be applauded for trying to be more transparent
>> about
>> hiring, even if you disagree with what they might be experimenting with.
>>
>> Steven Walling
> You mean the transparency that they have been repeatably asked for in
> the past by people and was denied by staff because updating even a
> simple on wiki list would "take too long"? Although i guess a
> microblog feed will make it easier for people such as those staff and
> contractors who had to ask other staff (who apparently had to ask even
> more people) about who people in the building even were and if they
> were meant to be there.

That seems like a further example of unconstructive criticism. If you'd
like to take some particular person to task for failing to meet your
personal standards, perhaps you could do it directly, rather than in front
of an audience of thousands? That's likely to be more effective, and is
certain to have fewer unwelcome side effects.

William

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

Daniel Phelps
Angela,

This was exactly our hope when creating the feed or "stream" system with Identi.ca and Twitter.

The feeds require minimal time commitment yet get the information out in an easily digestible format that can be used in ways like you mentioned.  In cases where more information is necessary we still plan to use and link to our blog, Job Openings page, email welcome announcements to the various lists, etc.  In addition the Staff page is constantly updated when new employees are added.

Thanks for the constructive and encouraging feedback. :)

-Daniel

On Sep 3, 2010, at 5:38 AM, Angela wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If there's an RSS-embedding widget that's up to our standards, it
>> might be a good thing to put on the relevant WMF wiki page.
>
> It may be better to have a bot copy the content into the wiki page
> instead of only displaying the RSS. That way the history remains on
> the wiki and you're not relying on a third party to provide a copy of
> the content. I've found that embedding Twitter feeds in a wiki too
> often results in timeouts.
>
> Angela

Re: HR and Recruiting Feed on Identi.ca and Twitter

theo10011
I thought this was very smart Idea by the HR department. It would be much
easier to follow up on for new wikimedians and prospective hires, rather
than going through posting pages on the foundation wiki and the Meta. Its
the quickest way of informing the community of new staff hires and
introducing them to the community. I thought this was the easiest and the
quickest way to provide updates rather than pages on Meta or the foundation
Wiki (which I think would still be updated).

If the bone of contention is the choice of media here of Micro-blogging then
I think thats another discussion altogether, the foundation and many
prominent projects are already very active in the Micro-blogging world. Last
I checked Wikimedia tech staff, Wikimedia Mobile, Wikipedia Signpost and
others provide regular updates through the same medium.

Regards

Theo