HTML versions of page contents?

Phil Gyford
Hi,

I want to get the contents of some specific Wikipedia pages to display
on different, non-wiki, site[1]. I can see how to retrieve the body of
a page marked up in wiki format, but is there any way to get it
already rendered as HTML? I've found two wiki markup -> HTML
renderers[2][3], but both have significant problems with some aspects
of Wikipedia's tags.

Many thanks,
Phil

[1] http://www.pepysdiary.com/
[2] http://pear.php.net/package/Text_Wiki_Mediawiki
[3] http://code.blitzaffe.com/pages/phpclasses/files/wiki_parser_52-13

--
http://www.gyford.com/

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Roan Kattouw
Phil Gyford schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get the contents of some specific Wikipedia pages to display
> on different, non-wiki, site[1]. I can see how to retrieve the body of
> a page marked up in wiki format, but is there any way to get it
> already rendered as HTML?
The API will soon be able to do this (when Wikipedia upgrades to the
latest version), but you can also do
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Article_name&action=render

Roan Kattouw

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Magnus Manske-2
Screenscrape normal wikipedia pages between the HTML comments?

Magnus

On 10/31/07, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Phil Gyford schreef:
> > I want to get the contents of some specific Wikipedia pages to display
> > on different, non-wiki, site[1]. I can see how to retrieve the body of
> > a page marked up in wiki format, but is there any way to get it
> > already rendered as HTML?
>
> The API will soon be able to do this (when Wikipedia upgrades to the
> latest version), but you can also do
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Article_name&action=render

Perfect! Thanks so much Roan. Out of interest, where else would I have
found out about this - is there some instructions I missed on the
wikipedia site? Thanks again.

--
http://www.gyford.com/

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Bryan Tong Minh
On Oct 31, 2007 6:36 PM, Phil Gyford <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perfect! Thanks so much Roan. Out of interest, where else would I have
> found out about this - is there some instructions I missed on the
> wikipedia site? Thanks again.

Such things are not available on Wikipedia, but on mediawiki.org. It
is documented here:
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Parameters_to_index.php#Actions>.

Bryan

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Ian Cabell
Speaking of versions, where does one go on a specific wiki to find out what version of mediawiki it's using?

-- Ian

Phil Gyford schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get the contents of some specific Wikipedia pages to display
> on different, non-wiki, site[1]. I can see how to retrieve the body of
> a page marked up in wiki format, but is there any way to get it
> already rendered as HTML?
The API will soon be able to do this (when Wikipedia upgrades to the
latest version), but you can also do
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Article_name&action=render

Roan Kattouw

----------------------------
Ian Cabell
RadiantWeb Services
( 877 ) 406 - 6272 [toll free]
[hidden email]
http://www.radiantweb.net

"There is more than one right way .. to make it perfect!"

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Jean-Lou Dupont-4
Special:Version

Phil Gyford schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get the contents of some specific Wikipedia pages to display
> on different, non-wiki, site[1]. I can see how to retrieve the body of
> a page marked up in wiki format, but is there any way to get it
> already rendered as HTML?
The API will soon be able to do this (when Wikipedia upgrades to the
latest version), but you can also do

Roan Kattouw

--
----------------------------
Ian Cabell
RadiantWeb Services
( 877 ) 406 - 6272 [toll free]
[hidden email]

"There is more than one right way .. to make it perfect!"

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Nick Jenkins
Or http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo if you want to script it, and use the
"generator" field - although it doesn't include the SVN revision number like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Version does, but it does give the major/minor/point version numbers
for official releases - e.g. 'generator="MediaWiki 1.11.0"'

-- All the best,
Nick.

On 10/31/07, Ian Cabell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Speaking of versions, where does one go on a specific wiki to find out what version of mediawiki it's using?

-- Ian

Re: HTML versions of page contents?

Daniel Cannon