HTML2FPDF and Mediawiki

Yig

HTML2FPDF and Mediawiki

Yig
Hi,

I'm interested in adding that functionality to my Wiki.

How accurate are the instructions found at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/HTML2FPDF_and_Mediawiki for version
1.6.3?

To those that installed it, what is your experience with it?

Thanks!
Simon

Re: HTML2FPDF and Mediawiki

Tels
Moin,

On Monday 24 April 2006 22:27, Simon Renshaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in adding that functionality to my Wiki.
>
> How accurate are the instructions found at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/HTML2FPDF_and_Mediawiki for version
> 1.6.3?

Cool. I will try it out, although it certainly sounds messy and needs
major cleaning off.

I started to toy around with wiki2xml:

        http://bloodgate.com/wiki/wiki2xml/w2x.php

and got it to convert one article to OpenOffice ODT (which should allow
converting to PDF). But it is not complete yet, and ugly ("Main Page"
results in "Main_Page" as headline for instance etc).

My goal is to convert the presentation you see on my wiki to a multi-page
PDF document in a completely automated manner (aka: the magic
button-click).

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Apr 25 00:06:14 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three
 persons, two of them absent." -- Unknown

Re: HTML2FPDF and Mediawiki

Rick DeNatale
This is interesting stuff, but it seems to me that the "right" way to
architect such a feature following X3C recommendations, would be to
produce xsl-fo either directly from the wikitext, or by transforming
the XHTML version, and then produce pdf from the XSL-FO using Apache
FOP, or a toolchain like passivetex.

Xsl-FO provides the ability to model page layouts and then flow data into pages.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: HTML2FPDF and Mediawiki

Brion Vibber
Rick DeNatale wrote:
> This is interesting stuff, but it seems to me that the "right" way to
> architect such a feature following X3C recommendations, would be to
> produce xsl-fo either directly from the wikitext, or by transforming
> the XHTML version, and then produce pdf from the XSL-FO using Apache
> FOP, or a toolchain like passivetex.

I was pretty frustrated with FOP when I tried it a year or so ago; lots of
features were unimplemented or required weird workarounds.

Is it better these days?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: HTML2FPDF and Mediawiki

Rick DeNatale

> Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > This is interesting stuff, but it seems to me that the "right" way to
> > architect such a feature following X3C recommendations, would be to
> > produce xsl-fo either directly from the wikitext, or by transforming
> > the XHTML version, and then produce pdf from the XSL-FO using Apache
> > FOP, or a toolchain like passivetex.
>
> I was pretty frustrated with FOP when I tried it a year or so ago; lots of
> features were unimplemented or required weird workarounds.
>
> Is it better these days?

I don't know, I haven't tried it myself.  There are alternatives like
going via LaTex using passivetex.  I do think that XSL-FO is the right
architecture, it just needs the right implementation.