Hang up during installation...

Dylan Kennet
I'm trying to install MediaWiki 1.7.1 and the process hangs partway
through. After the "Initializing Data..." part, it just cuts off. My
Apache error logs report nothing, and when I did some debugging, I
found that it hangs on line 820 on config/index.php:
$u = User::newFromName( $conf->getSysopName() );
Delving into that, the problem was specifically in the newFromName()
function...
A bunch of delving into that led me to line 461 on
include/Database.php . Oddly enough, if I change the new_link part of
mysql_connect() to be false, the install finishes (but then I get
blank screens whenever I try to use the resulting wiki).

It's entirely possible that there is some setting in php that is
causing this problem, but I don't know where to look. As said before,
nothing shows in my error logs, and I do have display_errors set to
on.

As is the norm, here is the text of the install page:

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.

* PHP 5.1.4 installed
* Found database drivers for: MySQL
* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator nor APC are installed, can't
use object caching functions
* GNU diff3 not found.
* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
* Installation directory: /home/wheeloft/public_html/wiki
* Script URI path: /wiki
* Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
* Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.

Generating configuration file...
* Database type: MySQL
* Attempting to connect to database server as wheeloft_wikiuse...success.
* Connected to 5.0.24-standard
* Database wheeloft_wiki exists

Warning: mysql_query() [http://www.mysql.com/doc]: Table
'wheeloft_wiki.wot_cur' doesn't exist in
/home/wheeloft/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php on line 620

Warning: mysql_query() [http://www.mysql.com/doc]: Table
'wheeloft_wiki.wot_revision' doesn't exist in
/home/wheeloft/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php on line 620
* Creating tables... using MySQL 4 table defs... done.
* Initializing data...

Re: Hang up during installation...

MHart
Probably PHP's memory setting.

> I'm trying to install MediaWiki 1.7.1 and the process hangs partway
> through. After the "Initializing Data..." part, it just cuts off. My
> Apache error logs report nothing, and when I did some debugging, I

Edit php.ini and locate

memory_limit = ??M  (probably 8M)

set it to at least 20M and restart the apache server

- MHart

Re: Hang up during installation...

Dylan Kennet
I don't have a memory limit set, as was checked by the installer's
message: "* PHP is configured with no memory_limit." Should I add in a
limit?

-Dylan

On 9/20/06, MHart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably PHP's memory setting.
>
> > I'm trying to install MediaWiki 1.7.1 and the process hangs partway
> > through. After the "Initializing Data..." part, it just cuts off. My
> > Apache error logs report nothing, and when I did some debugging, I
>
> Edit php.ini and locate
>
> memory_limit = ??M  (probably 8M)
>
> set it to at least 20M and restart the apache server
>
> - MHart

Re: Hang up during installation...

MHart
I would say yes - at least try that first. I had an install hang when I
setup a new server - and that was the problem.

- MHart

>I don't have a memory limit set, as was checked by the installer's
> message: "* PHP is configured with no memory_limit." Should I add in a
> limit?
>
> -Dylan
>
> On 9/20/06, MHart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Probably PHP's memory setting.
>>
>> > I'm trying to install MediaWiki 1.7.1 and the process hangs partway
>> > through. After the "Initializing Data..." part, it just cuts off. My
>> > Apache error logs report nothing, and when I did some debugging, I
>>
>> Edit php.ini and locate
>>
>> memory_limit = ??M  (probably 8M)
>>
>> set it to at least 20M and restart the apache server
>>
>> - MHart

Re: Hang up during installation...

Kutahopia

I have repetitively attempted to convert to
"digest"; however, it's, ostensibly, stuck.

Thank You.

_wiki@matthart.com_ (mailto:[hidden email])

_mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org_ (mailto:[hidden email]) ,
_mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org_ (mailto:[hidden email])

I have repetitively attempted to convert to
"digest"; however, it's, ostensibly, stuck.

Thank You.

Thank  You,

DonFphrnqTaub Persina
DONFPHRNQTAUB  PERSINA

Re: Hang up during installation...

Kutahopia

Please help.

[hidden email] writes:

I would say yes - at least try that first. I had an  install hang when I
setup a new server - and that was the  problem.

- MHart

>I don't have a memory  limit set, as was checked by the installer's
> message: "*  PHP is configured with no memory_limit." Should I add in  a
> limit?
>
> -Dylan
>
> On  9/20/06, MHart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Probably PHP's memory setting.
>>
>> > I'm  trying to install MediaWiki 1.7.1 and the process hangs  partway
>> > through. After the "Initializing  Data..." part, it just cuts off. My
>> > Apache  error logs report nothing, and when I did some debugging,  I
>>
>> Edit php.ini and  locate
>>
>> memory_limit = ??M   (probably 8M)
>>
>> set it to at least 20M and  restart the apache server
>>
>> -  MHart

_wiki@matthart.com_ (mailto:[hidden email])

_mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org_ (mailto:[hidden email]) ,
_mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org_ (mailto:[hidden email])

I have repetitively attempted to convert to
"digest"; however, it's, ostensibly, stuck.

Thank You.

Thank You,

DonFphrnqTaub  Persina
DONFPHRNQTAUB  PERSINA

Thank  You,

DonFphrnqTaub Persina
DONFPHRNQTAUB  PERSINA

Re: Hang up during installation...

Dylan Kennet
Just wanted to give an update, I recompiled PHP adding the
--enable-memory-limit switch, and the installation went perfect
without a hitch.

I'm not entirely sure why it breaks without memory limits enabled, but it does.

Oh, and I retested this with Mediawiki 1.8.2, and the bug is still there.

-Dylan