Happy one year inactive

Nkansah Rexford

Hi,

I've been monitoring the Wikimania page on Google plus for some time now and its managed to go a year solid without any activity.

https://plus.google.com/116447448432892218985

Its likely obvious it needs someone to contribute to. I'm sure the current managers of the page are die hard twitter and Facebook users. Thus o believe bringing die hard Google plus users to manage the page will also help.

If I can assist in this way, I'll be glad to. I only have my official presence on google plus, so you can be assured it won't be inactive.

[[User:Nkansahrexford]]

rexford | google.com/+Nkansahrexford | sent from smartphone

Re: Happy one year inactive

Sven Manguard

I am not convinced that *any* investment of time or resources into Google Plus would not be a waste. Do you have figures for the number of people in the community that use Google Plus and are not on any other information channel, including the mailing list? I suspect that the number is extremely low, possibly zero.

Spending time on something solely because it is there makes very little sense. Instead of trying to cover a large number of platforms, we should be covering the ones people actually use and deleting accounts on the ones that aren't in use, so that people migrate to the active forums.

In an effort to be accommodating, we have spread ourselves too thin, and information has fallen through the cracks. When it comes to information channels, we need to shift from quantity to quality.

-Sven (not a Wikimania organizer)

On Jul 5, 2014 12:55 AM, "Nkansah Rexford" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've been monitoring the Wikimania page on Google plus for some time now and its managed to go a year solid without any activity.

https://plus.google.com/116447448432892218985

Its likely obvious it needs someone to contribute to. I'm sure the current managers of the page are die hard twitter and Facebook users. Thus o believe bringing die hard Google plus users to manage the page will also help.

If I can assist in this way, I'll be glad to. I only have my official presence on google plus, so you can be assured it won't be inactive.

[[User:Nkansahrexford]]

rexford | google.com/+Nkansahrexford | sent from smartphone

Re: Happy one year inactive

Nkansah Rexford

As long as pages are not meant for the community alone, but the general public as well, I don't see it is o be a waste of time.

If media wiki and Wikimedia foundation page on google plus aren't a waste of time at least yet, thrn having Wikimania active there wouldn't also be.

The page already exist on google plus not that I'm saying it should be created. I'm just calling for the page to be active.

By the way, this isn't convincing as well.

On Jul 5, 2014 5:17 PM, "Sven Manguard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard Symonds-3
Does anyone know who has the logins for it?

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 6 July 2014 08:12, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tom Morris-5
I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion that more time is spent posting Wikimania-related content on Google+.

It is very important that we ensure that Google+’s diverse, international user base of Google employees are able to keep track of what is going on with Wikimania. ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Happy one year inactive

Nkansah Rexford
From facebook comment:

Naureen Nayyar Hi! I've realized this myself and we are working on an issue with our hootsuite and plan to incorporate things then. Cheers !

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion that more time is spent posting Wikimania-related content on Google+.

It is very important that we ensure that Google+’s diverse, international user base of Google employees are able to keep track of what is going on with Wikimania. ;-)

--
Tom Morris

Re: Happy one year inactive

Lodewijk
cmon people, no need to make fun of a suggestion like this.

Clearly Rexford feels that a Google+ presence is important, and he is willing to invest time into it. If he does, that's great and I hope the organizing team gives him the opportunity.

Best,
Lodewijk

Keep calm everyone, it’s only Google+.

On 7 July 2014 at 02:14:01 pm, Daniel Schwen ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hahahahahahahahaha, jokes about Google+ will NEVER get old. Wait, they actually have :-(. OK does anyone find the "Lol, Google+ is dumb, Facebook rulezors!!!" stuff still funny?

On Jul 7, 2014 4:41 AM, "Tom Morris" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion that more time is spent posting Wikimania-related content on Google+.

It is very important that we ensure that Google+’s diverse, international user base of Google employees are able to keep track of what is going on with Wikimania. ;-)

--
Tom Morris

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Re: Happy one year inactive

Edward Saperia-3
Before anyone asks, yes, we're planning on rolling out a killer Yo strategy.

Edward Saperia
Conference Director Wikimania London
[hidden email]  facebook  twitter  07796955572
133-135 Bethnal Green Road, E2 7DG

On 7 Jul 2014 14:33, "Daniel Schwen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If half as much effort as on this single thread was spent on Google+ we'd have a petty active page.

But fewer people would see it.

Re: Happy one year inactive

Nkansah Rexford
Its unfortunate that many who consider "none of their friends" to be on Google+ already have a Google plus account themselves. Many pretend as if Gmail and Google+ are different companies like Apple and Microsoft.

In the case of +Wikimania, its not as if no one wants to make it engaging, but its rather about perhaps not having someone to constantly update it.

@lodewijk Don't worry about the fun making. My interest is just to make the page active, and if everyone on this list consider making the page active a waste of time, I'm okay to manage.

For those who are new to Google+ and consider it to be a ghost town, I'll recommend this read from Amanda: http://goo.gl/tb5nsG

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Rimshot. :-)

Anyhow, crossposting to multiple social networks is not really a big overhead. As far as I know there are existing tools for that.

An abandoned page just make is look bad. No matter which network it is on.

@Daniel, the crossposting is something that Naureen is looking into.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rimshot. :-)

Anyhow, crossposting to multiple social networks is not really a big overhead. As far as I know there are existing tools for that.

An abandoned page just make is look bad. No matter which network it is on.

On Jul 7, 2014 7:48 AM, "Chris McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7 Jul 2014 14:33, "Daniel Schwen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If half as much effort as on this single thread was spent on Google+ we'd have a petty active page.

But fewer people would see it.

Re: Happy one year inactive

Asaf Bartov-2
Without expressing an opinion on the question at hand[1], it is perhaps relevant to remember that Rexford is wearing two hats in this conversation: beside being a Wikimedian, he has also been involved in promoting Google's products and platforms, and this thread may be read in that light.

    A.

[1] a plague on both their houses, I say.  The conference will do fine with just e-mail and a Web site, IMO.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Daniel, the crossposting is something that Naureen is looking into.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rimshot. :-)

Anyhow, crossposting to multiple social networks is not really a big overhead. As far as I know there are existing tools for that.

An abandoned page just make is look bad. No matter which network it is on.

On Jul 7, 2014 7:48 AM, "Chris McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7 Jul 2014 14:33, "Daniel Schwen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If half as much effort as on this single thread was spent on Google+ we'd have a petty active page.

But fewer people would see it.

    Asaf Bartov
    Wikimedia Foundation

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!