Has someone just changed math rendering?

Has someone just changed math rendering?

David Gerard-2
This page came up with raw mathtex, then I saw a "math rendering xx%"
counter at bottom right, then 15 seconds later I had the page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem

I admit this sort of page would make a good stress test ...

- d.

Re: Has someone just changed math rendering?

Steve Summit
David Gerard wrote:
> This page came up with raw mathtex, then I saw a "math rendering xx%"
> counter at bottom right, then 15 seconds later I had the page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem
> I admit this sort of page would make a good stress test ...

Possibly related: the Math reference desk was rendering
impossibly slowly (to the point of timeouts and WMF error pages)
a few days ago.  Discussion at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RD/MA#Posting_here_is_really_slow_today
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RD/MA#Preformatted_math-tags_cut_this_page_30_seconds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Posting_to_the_math_reference_desk_is_really_slow

Re: Has someone just changed math rendering?

Robert Rohde
I believe there is a recent regression in the math caching system.  It
appears that newly added equations aren't being cached properly.  The
images get generated on save, but it appears that Mediawiki is
forgetting that it has already made them and is attempting to
regenerate them on every save / preview.

This does not seem to be the case with old equations, where the
caching continues to work, but only with the caching of recently added
equations.

Filed as bugzilla 45973.

-Robert Rohde