Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Naoko Komura-2
One of the important components of the usability initiative is to
conduct multiple rounds of usability tests.  The plan is to conduct at
least three rounds of tests for qualitative usability evaluation over
the span of twelve months, i) the initial evaluation, ii) the progress
evaluation, and iii) the final evaluation.  The initial usability test
is scheduled on March 24, 25th and 26th.  In-person lab tests are
conducted in San Francisco at the first two days, and remote tests will
be conducted on the third day.

As a preparation for the initial usability test, we incorporated the
recruiting tool into English Wikipedia's site notice. You might have
encountered site notice inviting for the participation. The target
audience of testers are Wikipedia readers who have little or no
experience in editing the Wikipedia articles.  The banner is displayed
within the range of 1:400 to 1:100 page views, and it will continue till
early next week.

We look forward to learning from the usability tests and sharing the
result with you.

Thanks.

Naoko ... on behalf of the usability team.

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Delphine Ménard
A bit late, I'm catching up on emails. :)

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 08:51, Naoko Komura <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the important components of the usability initiative is to
> conduct multiple rounds of usability tests.  The plan is to conduct at
> least three rounds of tests for qualitative usability evaluation over
> the span of twelve months, i) the initial evaluation, ii) the progress
> evaluation, and iii) the final evaluation.  The initial usability test
> is scheduled on March 24, 25th and 26th.  In-person lab tests are
> conducted in San Francisco at the first two days, and remote tests will
> be conducted on the third day.
>
> As a preparation for the initial usability test, we incorporated the
> recruiting tool into English Wikipedia's site notice. You might have
> encountered site notice inviting for the participation. The target
> audience of testers are Wikipedia readers who have little or no
> experience in editing the Wikipedia articles.  The banner is displayed
> within the range of 1:400 to 1:100 page views, and it will continue till
> early next week.
>
> We look forward to learning from the usability tests and sharing the
> result with you.

Are there any plans to have usability tests in other languages than
English and other "cultures" than "North-American"? It seems to me
these two factors actually would play quite a role in the way people
interact with the software and probably should be taken into account.

Thanx,

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Thomas Dalton
2009/3/10 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> Are there any plans to have usability tests in other languages than
> English and other "cultures" than "North-American"? It seems to me
> these two factors actually would play quite a role in the way people
> interact with the software and probably should be taken into account.

Presumable the "remote tests" mentioned will be non-North American,
otherwise I'm not sure the point of remote tests (is there really that
big a difference between the SF area and the rest of the continent?).
It does seem it will be all English speaking, though, which is
unfortunate.

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> 2009/3/10 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Are there any plans to have usability tests in other languages than
>> English and other "cultures" than "North-American"? It seems to me
>> these two factors actually would play quite a role in the way people
>> interact with the software and probably should be taken into account.
>>

> Presumable the "remote tests" mentioned will be non-North American,
> otherwise I'm not sure the point of remote tests (is there really that
> big a difference between the SF area and the rest of the continent?).
> It does seem it will be all English speaking, though, which is
> unfortunate.

Hi, Delphine and Thomas.

The Stanton Usability grant has a focus on English Wikipedia, but the
usability team's intention and wish is to expand the scope so that all
languages can benefit the usability improvement.  Having said that , we
only can allocate the research budget in conducting the usability test
for English Wikipedia.  The site notice you saw for the past few days
were for the lab tests which take place in San Francisco on March 24th
and 25th, so we only recruited people who can physically be in the lab
in San Francisco on those days.  For remote testing, there will be no
regional constraints.  However as Thomas pointed out, it will be limited
for English Wikipedia.  Once we establish the methodology of remote
testing, we would like to share the methodology and perhaps involve
chapters in funding the usability tests for other languages or find a
way to conduct usability tests among volunteers.

- Naoko

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Michael Bimmler
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Naoko Komura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Having said that , we
> only can allocate the research budget in conducting the usability test
> for English Wikipedia.

Purely out of interest: Was this a restriction of the Stanton grant or
was it a decision by the WMF (usability team)?

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler

Michael Bimmler wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Naoko Komura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Having said that , we
>> only can allocate the research budget in conducting the usability test
>> for English Wikipedia.
>>

> Purely out of interest: Was this a restriction of the Stanton grant or
> was it a decision by the WMF (usability team)?
>
> Michael

Hi, Michael.

The restriction is from the Stanton grant.

- Naoko

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Philippe|Wiki

On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Naoko Komura wrote:

> Hi, Michael.
>
> The restriction is from the Stanton grant.
>
> - Naoko

Is there a restriction on the use of the research?  I mean, is there
any reason why the eventual outcomes can't be shared with the other
projects, or is the propogation of that research confined to the
english 'pedia?  I'm fairly certain I know the answer (knowledge for
ALL!) but would like to confirm that.

Philippe

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Naoko Komura <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Michael.
>
> The restriction is from the Stanton grant.
>
> - Naoko

Speaking of which: Has the WMF considered publishing the document
(contract? terms?) which details the exact cover, purpose, conditions
and obligations of the Stanton grant?  I don't know whether the
Stanton Foundation wants to keep this document confidential, but then,
I don't really see what could be confidential about the terms of grant
now that all the negotiations have finished.

I think it would be a nice example of transparency to publish (ie.
upload on meta or somewhere) this and similar documents, as long as
this does not threaten the obtaining of future grants.

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler

Re: Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Erik Moeller-4
2009/3/10 Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]>:
> I think it would be a nice example of transparency to publish (ie.
> upload on meta or somewhere) this and similar documents, as long as
> this does not threaten the obtaining of future grants.

I've been thinking about this as well. There is a strong tradition of
confidentiality in these processes but I really would like to get some
approved grant applications out there for discussion and review. I
plan to raise the issue with some of our funders, especially where we
have long-standing relationships, to feel it out a bit.

I am comfortable sharing some guiding principles which we include in
every tech grant application (begin quote):

* “Release early, release often.” This key concept, which is common to
both open source development and agile software development
methodologies, simply means that changes are made iteratively, openly,
and transparently, encouraging continuing review by peers, volunteer
developers and user groups.  Designs and tests are revisited and
revised as iterative milestones are accomplished.
* Openness to outside collaboration. All development will happen in
the Wikimedia Foundation's public code repository. Progress reports
will be published in blogs, and outside contributions will be
explicitly encouraged.
* Building on the work of others. An environmental scan will identify
existing open source solutions which can be refined and built upon to
meet defined requirements. As above, external contributors will be
invited to collaborate.
* Building on the knowledge of others. When possible, we will try to
hire developers with existing MediaWiki development experience. But,
to the extent that this is not possible, we will facilitate
face-to-face workshops with paid and volunteer developers to share and
document knowledge about the MediaWiki architecture.
* Readiness for internationalization. Code contributions, whether from
volunteer developers or paid developers, will be made in line with
Wikimedia's internationalization architecture to allow user interface
messages to be localized into all languages.
* Consultation of stakeholders. While our goal is to encourage and
broaden participation in Wikipedia, we will strive to do so in
consultation with the existing community of contributors, in order to
help foster their understanding and acceptance of changes to the user
interface.

(end quote)

As you can see, internationalization is one of our core principles
which we consider to be non-negotiable. (And Gerard will rightly point
out that we can do a better job supporting i18n initiatives like
BetaWiki.)  That said, in this particular case, the funder's interest
is specifically to increase the number of contributors to the English
Wikipedia, and that places some limitations on what we can use the
grant funds for. We are committed to sharing recommendations,
usability videos, methodologies, etc. - Naoko will post more on this
as the process plays out.

While there are definitely strong cultural components to usability,
many of the core issues we're going to try to resolve are shared
across all languages. For example, complex pages accumulate syntax
creep everywhere, not just in the English Wikipedia. Roughly speaking,
I think 80% of the work we're going to do is going to be generally
useful, and 20% is going to be specific to the English Wikipedia.
Hopefully we can contribute to processes both in communities and
chapters to think more systematically about addressing usability
issues that are specific to a certain language or culture.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

philippe wrote:

> Is there a restriction on the use of the research?  I mean, is there
> any reason why the eventual outcomes can't be shared with the other
> projects, or is the propogation of that research confined to the
> english 'pedia?  I'm fairly certain I know the answer (knowledge for
> ALL!) but would like to confirm that.
>
> Philippe

Hi, Philippe.

Just so that the audience of the list does not lose context of the
original thread, I would like to reiterate the email thread between
Michael and myself.

Michael's question was as follows;
"Purely out of interest: Was this (implying the use of the usability
research budget) a restriction of the Stanton grant or was it a decision
by the WMF (usability team)?"

And my answer was;
"The restriction is from the Stanton grant."

You are raising a different question with regards to the use of research
results. There is no restriction in the use or sharing the test results
publicly as long as we respect and protect privacy of test participants.
We are video taping the lab test and plan to make it publicly available,
as long as we have consents from the participants.

I hope my answer helps to clear your concerns.

- Naoko

On Mar 10, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Naoko Komura wrote:

> Hi, Philippe.
>
> Just so that the audience of the list does not lose context of the
> original thread, I would like to reiterate the email thread between
> Michael and myself.
>
> Michael's question was as follows;
> "Purely out of interest: Was this (implying the use of the usability
> research budget) a restriction of the Stanton grant or was it a
> decision
> by the WMF (usability team)?"
>
> And my answer was;
> "The restriction is from the Stanton grant."
>
> You are raising a different question with regards to the use of
> research
> results. There is no restriction in the use or sharing the test
> results
> publicly as long as we respect and protect privacy of test
> participants.
> We are video taping the lab test and plan to make it publicly
> available,
> as long as we have consents from the participants.
>
> I hope my answer helps to clear your concerns.
>
> - Naoko

Perfectly, thank yoU!

Philippe

Usability study in progress

Naoko Komura-2
Howdy.
(adding wikien-l folks to this thread.  my apology for not including
wikien-l with my initial email.)

The usability study has started today as scheduled.  The usability team
is monitoring the interviews and how ten test participants interact with
Wikipedia when they are asked to edit an article at the lab facility in
San Francisco today and tomorrow.  The remote usability study on
Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
them through web conferencing.  Therefore the site notice for
recruitment will appear again on Thursday.  We expect to compile the
results in a few weeks and the findings with you.

Naoko Komura
Program Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Naoko Komura wrote:

> One of the important components of the usability initiative is to
> conduct multiple rounds of usability tests.  The plan is to conduct at
> least three rounds of tests for qualitative usability evaluation over
> the span of twelve months, i) the initial evaluation, ii) the progress
> evaluation, and iii) the final evaluation.  The initial usability test
> is scheduled on March 24, 25th and 26th.  In-person lab tests are
> conducted in San Francisco at the first two days, and remote tests will
> be conducted on the third day.
>
> As a preparation for the initial usability test, we incorporated the
> recruiting tool into English Wikipedia's site notice. You might have
> encountered site notice inviting for the participation. The target
> audience of testers are Wikipedia readers who have little or no
> experience in editing the Wikipedia articles.  The banner is displayed
> within the range of 1:400 to 1:100 page views, and it will continue till
> early next week.
>
> We look forward to learning from the usability tests and sharing the
> result with you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Naoko ... on behalf of the usability team.

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Usability study in progress

Brian J Mingus
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Naoko Komura <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  The remote usability study on
> Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
> participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
> them through web conferencing.

 This is brilliant - you could automate the testing and reporting in
addition to having a virtually unlimited number of subjects.

Re: Usability study in progress

George William Herbert
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Naoko Komura <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >  The remote usability study on
> > Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
> > participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
> > them through web conferencing.
>

>  This is brilliant - you could automate the testing and reporting in
> addition to having a virtually unlimited number of subjects.

It lacks some feedback from tests done in a lab - the video cameras
recording eye motion and focus, what someone says to themselves or others,
and user mouse patterns, are important data.

But more data is always good.  If you can't get someone to meet you in the
lab, testing via web conferencing has been shown to be good data.

--
-george william herbert

Re: Usability study in progress

Ivan Lanin-2
Dear Aphaia,

I'm really excited to get the result of this study since one of the common input that I got from newbie contributors either online or during workshops are that it's harder for them to write Wikipedia than to write blogs :) Though I still don't get it why they think that way ;)

Good luck and success for the effort.

--
Ivan Lanin | Wikimedia Indonesia | http://wikimedia.or.id
Sent from my BlackBerry®

Naoko Komura wrote:

> One of the important components of the usability initiative is to
> conduct multiple rounds of usability tests.  The plan is to conduct at
> least three rounds of tests for qualitative usability evaluation over
> the span of twelve months, i) the initial evaluation, ii) the progress
> evaluation, and iii) the final evaluation.  The initial usability test
> is scheduled on March 24, 25th and 26th.  In-person lab tests are
> conducted in San Francisco at the first two days, and remote tests will
> be conducted on the third day.
>
> As a preparation for the initial usability test, we incorporated the
> recruiting tool into English Wikipedia's site notice. You might have
> encountered site notice inviting for the participation. The target
> audience of testers are Wikipedia readers who have little or no
> experience in editing the Wikipedia articles.  The banner is displayed
> within the range of 1:400 to 1:100 page views, and it will continue till
> early next week.
>
> We look forward to learning from the usability tests and sharing the
> result with you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Naoko ... on behalf of the usability team.

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Usability study in progress

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Naoko is Naoko and Aphaia is someone else..

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:Naoko_Komura_December_2008.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Benutzer_Aphaia.jpg

Thanks,
       GerardM

2009/3/25 Ivan Lanin <[hidden email]>

> Dear Aphaia,
>
> I'm really excited to get the result of this study since one of the common
> input that I got from newbie contributors either online or during workshops
> are that it's harder for them to write Wikipedia than to write blogs :)
> Though I still don't get it why they think that way ;)
>
> Good luck and success for the effort.
>
> --
> Ivan Lanin | Wikimedia Indonesia | http://wikimedia.or.id
> Sent from my BlackBerry®

John at Darkstar
Wikipedians should not be used to asses usabillity problems with
Wikipedia, this is rule number one if you want to get information about
why a newbie has problems with a system. A typical wikipedian is simply
not a valid newbie. Ten participants are not nearly enough, they can
only give you some clue about the real problem.

John

Naoko Komura skrev:

> Howdy.
> (adding wikien-l folks to this thread.  my apology for not including
> wikien-l with my initial email.)
>
> The usability study has started today as scheduled.  The usability team
> is monitoring the interviews and how ten test participants interact with
> Wikipedia when they are asked to edit an article at the lab facility in
> San Francisco today and tomorrow.  The remote usability study on
> Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
> participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
> them through web conferencing.  Therefore the site notice for
> recruitment will appear again on Thursday.  We expect to compile the
> results in a few weeks and the findings with you.
>
> Naoko Komura
> Program Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
>

> Naoko Komura wrote:
>> One of the important components of the usability initiative is to
>> conduct multiple rounds of usability tests.  The plan is to conduct at
>> least three rounds of tests for qualitative usability evaluation over
>> the span of twelve months, i) the initial evaluation, ii) the progress
>> evaluation, and iii) the final evaluation.  The initial usability test
>> is scheduled on March 24, 25th and 26th.  In-person lab tests are
>> conducted in San Francisco at the first two days, and remote tests will
>> be conducted on the third day.
>>
>> As a preparation for the initial usability test, we incorporated the
>> recruiting tool into English Wikipedia's site notice. You might have
>> encountered site notice inviting for the participation. The target
>> audience of testers are Wikipedia readers who have little or no
>> experience in editing the Wikipedia articles.  The banner is displayed
>> within the range of 1:400 to 1:100 page views, and it will continue till
>> early next week.
>>
>> We look forward to learning from the usability tests and sharing the
>> result with you.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Naoko ... on behalf of the usability team.

Re: Usability study in progress

Hay (Husky)
Ten is a low number indeed, however, if those people are indeed
'typical users' instead of Wikipedians and you given them a few
specific tasks (say, searching for an article on a topic they are
interested in and editing it to add some information) you will
probably encounter lots of problems soon enough.

On a different note: i'm not sure if this has been discussed before
but will the usability study also take uploading media on Commons in
account? Editing text is one thing, but adding media (and hence, using
Commons) is almost as common and could also use *lots* of work on
increasing usability.

-- Hay

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM, John at Darkstar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedians should not be used to asses usabillity problems with
> Wikipedia, this is rule number one if you want to get information about
> why a newbie has problems with a system. A typical wikipedian is simply
> not a valid newbie. Ten participants are not nearly enough, they can
> only give you some clue about the real problem.
>
> John
>
> Naoko Komura skrev:
>> Howdy.
>> (adding wikien-l folks to this thread.  my apology for not including
>> wikien-l with my initial email.)
>>
>> The usability study has started today as scheduled.  The usability team
>> is monitoring the interviews and how ten test participants interact with
>> Wikipedia when they are asked to edit an article at the lab facility in
>> San Francisco today and tomorrow.  The remote usability study on
>> Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
>> participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
>> them through web conferencing.  Therefore the site notice for
>> recruitment will appear again on Thursday.  We expect to compile the
>> results in a few weeks and the findings with you.
>>
>> Naoko Komura
>> Program Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
>>

>> Naoko Komura wrote:
>>> One of the important components of the usability initiative is to
>>> conduct multiple rounds of usability tests.  The plan is to conduct at
>>> least three rounds of tests for qualitative usability evaluation over
>>> the span of twelve months, i) the initial evaluation, ii) the progress
>>> evaluation, and iii) the final evaluation.  The initial usability test
>>> is scheduled on March 24, 25th and 26th.  In-person lab tests are
>>> conducted in San Francisco at the first two days, and remote tests will
>>> be conducted on the third day.
>>>
>>> As a preparation for the initial usability test, we incorporated the
>>> recruiting tool into English Wikipedia's site notice. You might have
>>> encountered site notice inviting for the participation. The target
>>> audience of testers are Wikipedia readers who have little or no
>>> experience in editing the Wikipedia articles.  The banner is displayed
>>> within the range of 1:400 to 1:100 page views, and it will continue till
>>> early next week.
>>>
>>> We look forward to learning from the usability tests and sharing the
>>> result with you.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Naoko ... on behalf of the usability team.

Re: Usability study in progress

John at Darkstar
One additional note, in Norway a lot of the newspapers used a layout
like Monobook (sort of) but has lately dismissed the solution in favor
of radically much simpler designs. Especially the list of links in a
left bar has been abandoned in favor of more directed approaches with
horizontal menus in the top of the pages. Some of the newspapers has
reported instantaneous increase in click rates.

It is thought provocative as most of the left bar is for wikipediams,
and therefore is usable to only a small percentile of the total users
(in page views). The rest of the users need navigational aids for the
main space.

John

Hay (Husky) skrev:

> Ten is a low number indeed, however, if those people are indeed
> 'typical users' instead of Wikipedians and you given them a few
> specific tasks (say, searching for an article on a topic they are
> interested in and editing it to add some information) you will
> probably encounter lots of problems soon enough.
>
> On a different note: i'm not sure if this has been discussed before
> but will the usability study also take uploading media on Commons in
> account? Editing text is one thing, but adding media (and hence, using
> Commons) is almost as common and could also use *lots* of work on
> increasing usability.
>
> -- Hay
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM, John at Darkstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wikipedians should not be used to asses usabillity problems with
>> Wikipedia, this is rule number one if you want to get information about
>> why a newbie has problems with a system. A typical wikipedian is simply
>> not a valid newbie. Ten participants are not nearly enough, they can
>> only give you some clue about the real problem.
>>
>> John
>>
>> Naoko Komura skrev:
>>> Howdy.
>>> (adding wikien-l folks to this thread.  my apology for not including
>>> wikien-l with my initial email.)
>>>
>>> The usability study has started today as scheduled.  The usability team
>>> is monitoring the interviews and how ten test participants interact with
>>> Wikipedia when they are asked to edit an article at the lab facility in
>>> San Francisco today and tomorrow.  The remote usability study on
>>> Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
>>> participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
>>> them through web conferencing.  Therefore the site notice for
>>> recruitment will appear again on Thursday.  We expect to compile the
>>> results in a few weeks and the findings with you.
>>>
>>> Naoko Komura
>>> Program Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Usability study in progress

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
A newspaper wants people to read. We want very much that readers consider
the option to edit. The approach is therefore different. When I goto
Wikipedia as a reader, I might be enabled to change my role and consequently
get a different layout.
Thanks,
     GerardM