Hello from the new Board!

Chris Keating-2
As you might know, a new Board was elected last Saturday at the WikiConference in Bristol.

The new Board is:

Roger Bamkin (Victuallers) - Chair
Andrew Turvey (AndrewRT) - Treasurer
Michael Peel (Mike Peel) - Secretary
Chris Keating (The Land)
Martin Poulter (MartinPoulter)
Ashley Van Haeften (Fae)
Steve Virgin (Steve Virgin)

Gemma Griffiths continues as a pro-bono public relations consultant to the Board, while Tom Dalton steps down as Treasurer.

I am sure I speak for the whole board when I say we are looking forward to working with the whole community over the coming year. Amongst the aims discussed on Saturday are professionalising the Chapter, achieving charity status, and announcing more exciting outreach projects and partnership - more on these things to come.

If there's anything you'd like to discuss please do get in touch. You can reach each of us by email at [hidden email] .  Members are also very welcome to attend Board meetings, which are held alternately by conference calls and online - the provisional schedule is at:   http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings

Chris
(The Land)

Re: Hello from the new Board!

Gordon Joly
On 19/04/2011 22:43, Chris Keating wrote:

The new Board is:

Roger Bamkin (Victuallers) - Chair
Andrew Turvey (AndrewRT) - Treasurer
Michael Peel (Mike Peel) - Secretary
Chris Keating (The Land)
Martin Poulter (MartinPoulter)
Ashley Van Haeften (Fae)
Steve Virgin (Steve Virgin)
Gentlemen, I expect us to be a registered charity by the 2012 AGM!!!

Gordon

P.S. Diversity of the board?

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Hello from the new Board!

James Farrar

I trust you're not advocating tokenism.

On 20 Apr 2011 11:44, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 19/04/2011 22:43, Chris Keating wrote:
>>
>> The new Board is:
>>
>> Roger Bamkin (Victuallers) - Chair
>> Andrew Turvey (AndrewRT) - Treasurer
>> Michael Peel (Mike Peel) - Secretary
>> Chris Keating (The Land)
>> Martin Poulter (MartinPoulter)
>> Ashley Van Haeften (Fae)
>> Steve Virgin (Steve Virgin)
> Gentlemen, I expect us to be a registered charity by the 2012 AGM!!!
>
> Gordon
>
> P.S. Diversity of the board?
>

> --
>
> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Hello from the new Board!

Chris Keating-2

P.S. Diversity of the board?

 There was a bit of a discussion on Twitter on Saturday about the fact that all the candidates were white middle-aged men.* The evidence suggests that most Wikimedians are men (70/30ish?). I had a look at the WMUK membership list to identify gender on the basis of first names and got the impression that the bias in our membership is a bit more skewed than that (85/15ish).

My view is that this is something we need to address - and in particular we need to make sure it doesn't become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hopefully the work the Foundation is doing in this area will be helpful. Hopefully also the work we will do in the coming year will help us engage with a more diverse group of people. It's noticeable that the people we worked with at the CRUK workshop were mainly female and the gender balance at the GLAM-WIKI conference was fairly even if you ignored the Wikimedians.

More views would I'm sure be welcome...

Chris

*NB I am not middle-aged, but accept the overall point....

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Steve Virgin

In terms of this discussion about breaking down diversity barriers, we’ve had some limited success with the two events we have ran in Bristol recently:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wiki_Academy_1 (March 19)

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_UK_2011 (April 16)

A large number of women students etc attended the Academy (about half of the 20 present) and they came mainly from this group in the URL below:

http://bristolgirlgeekdinners.com/ (you’ll notice they kindly publicised our AGM on the front page of their website)

We also saw one or two from the same group at the AGM – I believe they are now members of Wikimedia UK (so welcome if you are reading this)

I think we have a ‘regional opportunity’ to reach out and diversify our membership base here. I urge other Wikipedians to look for similar groups across the country and to go and talk to them about our work and invite them to collaborate on events together, as we undoubtedly hold a lot in common in terms of mutual interest.

PS: I am white and middle aged so am guilty as charged!!!

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Tom Morris-5
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 13:06, steve virgin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In terms of this discussion about breaking down diversity barriers, we’ve
> had some limited success with the two events we have ran in Bristol
> recently:
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wiki_Academy_1 (March 19)
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_UK_2011 (April 16)
>
> A large number of women students etc attended the Academy (about half of the
> 20 present) and they came mainly from this group in the URL below:
>
> http://bristolgirlgeekdinners.com/ (you’ll notice they kindly publicised our
> AGM on the front page of their website)
>
> We also saw one or two from the same group at the AGM – I believe they are
> now members of Wikimedia UK (so welcome if you are reading this)
>
> I think we have a ‘regional opportunity’ to reach out and diversify our
> membership base here. I urge other Wikipedians to look for similar groups
> across the country and to go and talk to them about our work and invite them
> to collaborate on events together, as we undoubtedly hold a lot in common in
> terms of mutual interest.

There are Girl Geek Dinner groups across Britain: London, Brighton,
Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Reading, Bristol, Oxford,
Winchester, South Yorkshire, Plymouth, Dorset and Birmingham.

I've added that list to the Institutional outreach page:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Institutional_outreach

I've also posted on Twitter saying that WMUK may be interested in
doing events/outreach with the London GGD community.

Any ideas where we can run Wikimedia Academy events in London? I was
talking to someone on IRC who suggested collaborating with coworking
spaces. Alternatively, it would be very useful if, especially in
London, there were a few standard places we could use to run
outreach-focussed Wikimedia Academy/editathon type events. Any ideas?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Please don't print this e-mail out unless you want a hard copy of it.
If you do, go ahead. I won't stop you.

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Steve Virgin

Tom - perhaps get the guys at the Imperial College Wikipedia Society to give
you hand, lend you a room or something else?

I can ping Vinesh and put you in touch?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 13:06, steve virgin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In terms of this discussion about breaking down diversity barriers, we've
> had some limited success with the two events we have ran in Bristol
> recently:
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wiki_Academy_1 (March 19)
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_UK_2011 (April 16)
>
> A large number of women students etc attended the Academy (about half of
the
> 20 present) and they came mainly from this group in the URL below:
>
> http://bristolgirlgeekdinners.com/ (you'll notice they kindly publicised
our
> AGM on the front page of their website)
>
> We also saw one or two from the same group at the AGM - I believe they are
> now members of Wikimedia UK (so welcome if you are reading this)
>
> I think we have a 'regional opportunity' to reach out and diversify our
> membership base here. I urge other Wikipedians to look for similar groups
> across the country and to go and talk to them about our work and invite
them
> to collaborate on events together, as we undoubtedly hold a lot in common
in
> terms of mutual interest.

There are Girl Geek Dinner groups across Britain: London, Brighton,
Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Reading, Bristol, Oxford,
Winchester, South Yorkshire, Plymouth, Dorset and Birmingham.

I've added that list to the Institutional outreach page:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Institutional_outreach

I've also posted on Twitter saying that WMUK may be interested in
doing events/outreach with the London GGD community.

Any ideas where we can run Wikimedia Academy events in London? I was
talking to someone on IRC who suggested collaborating with coworking
spaces. Alternatively, it would be very useful if, especially in
London, there were a few standard places we could use to run
outreach-focussed Wikimedia Academy/editathon type events. Any ideas?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Please don't print this e-mail out unless you want a hard copy of it.
If you do, go ahead. I won't stop you.

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Patel, Vinesh
We would be very interested in having regular events on campus. We need 2 weeks advanced notice to book rooms and at certain times of the year things are more difficult to do, but we can book rooms in South Kensington, Hammersmith and Acton capacity up to 60 very easily, and more than a 100 with a bit more work needed.

Tom - perhaps get the guys at the Imperial College Wikipedia Society to give
you hand, lend you a room or something else?

I can ping Vinesh and put you in touch?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 13:06, steve virgin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In terms of this discussion about breaking down diversity barriers, we've
> had some limited success with the two events we have ran in Bristol
> recently:
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wiki_Academy_1 (March 19)
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_UK_2011 (April 16)
>
> A large number of women students etc attended the Academy (about half of
the
> 20 present) and they came mainly from this group in the URL below:
>
> http://bristolgirlgeekdinners.com/ (you'll notice they kindly publicised
our
> AGM on the front page of their website)
>
> We also saw one or two from the same group at the AGM - I believe they are
> now members of Wikimedia UK (so welcome if you are reading this)
>
> I think we have a 'regional opportunity' to reach out and diversify our
> membership base here. I urge other Wikipedians to look for similar groups
> across the country and to go and talk to them about our work and invite
them
> to collaborate on events together, as we undoubtedly hold a lot in common
in
> terms of mutual interest.

There are Girl Geek Dinner groups across Britain: London, Brighton,
Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Reading, Bristol, Oxford,
Winchester, South Yorkshire, Plymouth, Dorset and Birmingham.

I've added that list to the Institutional outreach page:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Institutional_outreach

I've also posted on Twitter saying that WMUK may be interested in
doing events/outreach with the London GGD community.

Any ideas where we can run Wikimedia Academy events in London? I was
talking to someone on IRC who suggested collaborating with coworking
spaces. Alternatively, it would be very useful if, especially in
London, there were a few standard places we could use to run
outreach-focussed Wikimedia Academy/editathon type events. Any ideas?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Please don't print this e-mail out unless you want a hard copy of it.
If you do, go ahead. I won't stop you.

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Fae-6
> that the bias in our membership is a bit more skewed than that (85/15ish).

Some folks might have missed that one member taking part at the
conference is 12 years old and a well established and respected
Wikipedian.

By the way, I was one of the candidates and I do not consider myself
"white" (or "black" for that matter) and would object if someone were
to try and class me as such as it is transparently obvious that I have
rather brown skin. Perhaps we ought to open a more subtle diversity
survey for our members that goes beyond their appearance?

http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae

Re: Hello from the new Board!

Gordon Joly
On 20/04/2011 11:55, James Farrar wrote:
> I trust you're not advocating tokenism.
The very thought!

Gordo

On 20/04/2011 12:09, Chris Keating wrote:

> My view is that this is something we need to address - and in
> particular we need to make sure it doesn't become a self-fulfilling
> prophecy.

No, but, as a registered charity, seeking funding from UK agencies....

Gordo

On 20/04/2011 13:06, steve virgin wrote:

PS: I am white and middle aged so am guilty as charged!!!

So far so good. Here is a list....

1) Gender

2) Ethnicity

3) Age

4) Religion

5) Disability

6) Sexual orientation

See for example:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_10014458

Gordo

--
Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Isabell Long
On 20 Apr 2011, at 15:29, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some folks might have missed that one member taking part at the
> conference is 12 years old and a well established and respected
> Wikipedian.

Hah, I didn't realise that—great!  That makes me feel a little better, having only just turned 17!

Isabell.

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Alex Stinson

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Isabell Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 Apr 2011, at 15:29, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some folks might have missed that one member taking part at the
> conference is 12 years old and a well established and respected
> Wikipedian.

Hah, I didn't realise that—great!  That makes me feel a little better, having only just turned 17!

Please participate! Some of the most interesting Wikipedians I have met are the younger ones amongst us. Also, we youth have a lot more time on our hands with a lot less obligations, so we can do more!

Alex

On 20/04/2011 17:09, Alex Stinson wrote:

Please participate! Some of the most interesting Wikipedians I have met are the younger ones amongst us. Also, we youth have a lot more time on our hands with a lot less obligations, so we can do more!

Alex

I am 55 and "semi-retired". Does that count?

Gordo

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/04/2011 17:09, Alex Stinson wrote:

Please participate! Some of the most interesting Wikipedians I have met are the younger ones amongst us. Also, we youth have a lot more time on our hands with a lot less obligations, so we can do more!

Alex

I am 55 and "semi-retired". Does that count?

Of course! I just find that a lot fewer of my peers (I am only 20) are bold about  their ability to take on big projects than people with a little more life experience behind them.

Alex
User:Sadads

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

James Forrester-5
On 20 April 2011 16:11, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/04/2011 13:06, steve virgin wrote:
>
> > PS: I am white and middle aged so am guilty as charged!!!
>
> So far so good. Here is a list....
>
> 1) Gender
> 2) Ethnicity
> 3) Age
> 4) Religion
> 5) Disability
> 6) Sexual orientation

Before coming up with our own list of areas of concern, the Equalities
Act sets out[0] nine "protected characteristics" that are worth
considering for scope:

1. age;
2. disability;
3. gender reassignment;
4. marriage and civil partnership;
5. pregnancy and maternity;
6. race;
7. religion or belief;
8. sex;
9. sexual orientation.

Stereotypically, we[1] are unbalanced in all of these to some extent.
We are slightly non-representative in 9 and to an extent 3[2],
somewhat non-representative in 1, 2, 4 (mostly as a consequence of 1
and 8), 6 and 7, and hideously non-representative in 8 (and thus 5). I
think any focus should clearly be on 8 (and 4 and 5, to the limited
extent that it's helpful to the community), but also fixing the other
non-representative issues too.

There was also the secondary characteristic of socio-economic status
that was considered but didn't make the Act which is worth considering
for our purposes. On a global scale, the Foundation's push towards the
Global South touches on many of these points as well as this tenth
dimension.

[0] - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/4
[1] - by "we" I mean Wikimedia in the Anglosphere
[2] - over-representation against wider population

J.
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

On 20 April 2011 17:01, Isabell Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2011, at 15:29, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Some folks might have missed that one member taking part at the
>> conference is 12 years old and a well established and respected
>> Wikipedian.

> Hah, I didn't realise that—great!  That makes me feel a little better, having only just turned 17!

By current standards, you're past it.

(Sam Korn was on the en:wp arbcom at 16 ...)

- d.

Re: - a reply and a suggestion on diversity in the membership basis

Chris McKenna
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, David Gerard wrote:

> By current standards, you're past it.
>
> (Sam Korn was on the en:wp arbcom at 16 ...)

Getting off topic (sorry), but I've just been looking up age limits and
things and in the most recent elections candidates were required to be at
least 18. I've not looked at previous elections, but I haven't been
able to find where that restriction came from. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Child_protection#Template_suggestion_-_User_current_age
for a bit of background.

----
Chris McKenna