Help With GMap Extension?

John Concilus
Hello,

I am fairly new to Mediawiki , and subscribe to several of the lists.
I am hesitant
to post to the list, as I feel like a nitwit! I've tried to search
for answers elsewhere.

The recent post about the Wikipubs project really struck a chord with
our curriculum team,
and I've been struggling trying build the same sort of functionality
he used for pubs
into our Mediawiki (1.52) installation.  James did a great job with
that project.

We are a school district on the Bering Sea coast of Alaska, and all of our
communities are Yup'ik, Siberian Yup'ik or Inupiaq Eskimo.  No roads connect
the villages, and traditional hunting and gathering activities are the mainstay
of the local "economy" ;-)

Our school district is converting our entire curriculum to Mediawiki
format, and
everyone is jazzed about the potential for wiki use in collaborative
resource development,
and instructional use by teachers using "place-based" education for writing.

The Problem

I have followed the instructions on the meta "mafs" page about the Google Map
Extension...as far as I can tell...at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mafs/GoogleMapExtension

- Got a key from Google

- Modified LocalSettings.php with the key like this:

$IP = "/home/wikibss/public_html";
ini_set( "include_path", ".:$IP:$IP/includes:$IP/languages" );
require_once( "includes/DefaultSettings.php" );
require_once('extensions/gmap.php');
$wgGmapKey = "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX";
$wgGmapSource = "http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=1&key=";

- Created the "gmap.php" file and put in "extensions"

- Created the "gmap.js" file and put in "skins/commons"

- Modified "MonoBook.php" to add the "function execute()" call

- Created a cache directory

Got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: curl_init() in
/home/wikibss/public_html/extensions/gmap.php on line 291

- Recompiled Apache with curl module (duh!)

- I'm trying to test it with the sample script from the meta.wikipedia page,
but each sample comes up with the same problem....a blank page.

My Question: When I go to that page now I don't get any error, and I
see the status
bar indicating it is contacting Google Maps....but the page appears
blank.  What could
cause this?  I don't know how to trouble shoot this.

Our Wiki:
http://wiki.bssd.org/

Error Page:
http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Trail_Markers

If my question is naive, I apologize to the regulars for their
tolerance, and thank you
all in advance for your help.

Regards,

JTC...in the Bering Sea
--

        "No matter where you go, there you are."

                                Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

Digital Contacts:
http://www.bssd.org
[hidden email]
Skype VOIP: Johncn2

John Concilus, Coordinator of Educational Technology
Bering Strait School District
225 Polar Bear Avenue
Unalakleet, AK 99684
907-624-4237 (Office)