Help finding photos on Flickr

Carcharoth
Would anyone subscribed to this mailing list have time to help finding
suitably licensed photos on Flickr (or elsewhere) for an article I
worked on recently?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I

Currently there are four commemoration events listed on that page at
which photos were taken, but I'm struggling to find photos from those
events on Commons or Flickr under a free license.

On Commons I found this image:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Liege-Cointe-Tour_Memorial_Interallie-20060605.jpg

Which is the venue for one of the events, but ideally any images used
would be taken at the events themselves.

Carcharoth

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

Luca Motoc
You could contact an admin for a corect answer.
On Aug 11, 2014 2:02 PM, "Carcharoth" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would anyone subscribed to this mailing list have time to help finding
> suitably licensed photos on Flickr (or elsewhere) for an article I
> worked on recently?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I
>
> Currently there are four commemoration events listed on that page at
> which photos were taken, but I'm struggling to find photos from those
> events on Commons or Flickr under a free license.
>
> On Commons I found this image:
>

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Liege-Cointe-Tour_Memorial_Interallie-20060605.jpg
>
> Which is the venue for one of the events, but ideally any images used
> would be taken at the events themselves.
>
> Carcharoth

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

Richard Symonds-3
Of course Carcharoth.  Cany promise anything but happy to try!
On 11 Aug 2014 13:02, "Carcharoth" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would anyone subscribed to this mailing list have time to help finding
> suitably licensed photos on Flickr (or elsewhere) for an article I
> worked on recently?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I
>
> Currently there are four commemoration events listed on that page at
> which photos were taken, but I'm struggling to find photos from those
> events on Commons or Flickr under a free license.
>
> On Commons I found this image:
>

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Liege-Cointe-Tour_Memorial_Interallie-20060605.jpg
>
> Which is the venue for one of the events, but ideally any images used
> would be taken at the events themselves.
>
> Carcharoth

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

Brian J Mingus
You can use Google image search to search for openly licensed content. This
includes images from Flickr.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Richard Symonds <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of course Carcharoth.  Cany promise anything but happy to try!
> On 11 Aug 2014 13:02, "Carcharoth" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Would anyone subscribed to this mailing list have time to help finding
> > suitably licensed photos on Flickr (or elsewhere) for an article I
> > worked on recently?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I
> >
> > Currently there are four commemoration events listed on that page at
> > which photos were taken, but I'm struggling to find photos from those
> > events on Commons or Flickr under a free license.
> >
> > On Commons I found this image:
> >

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Liege-Cointe-Tour_Memorial_Interallie-20060605.jpg
> >
> > Which is the venue for one of the events, but ideally any images used
> > would be taken at the events themselves.
> >
> > Carcharoth

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

Carcharoth
Thanks for the tips. Can you set the parameters of a search to only
return openly licensed content?

The viewing stats are interesting:

http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I

A peak of 11,000 views yesterday.

But the main WWI article (not surprisingly) got large numbers of views:

http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/World%20War%20I

376,450 views on 28 July and another peak at 112,239 on 4 August.

Reached number three in the most-viewed list for the week of July 27
to August 2, 2014 (and was still at number 15 the following week):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Top_25_Report/July_27_to_August_2,_2014

On 8/11/14, Brian J Mingus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can use Google image search to search for openly licensed content. This
> includes images from Flickr.
>

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Richard Symonds <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Of course Carcharoth.  Cany promise anything but happy to try!
>> On 11 Aug 2014 13:02, "Carcharoth" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Would anyone subscribed to this mailing list have time to help finding
>> > suitably licensed photos on Flickr (or elsewhere) for an article I
>> > worked on recently?
>> >
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I
>> >
>> > Currently there are four commemoration events listed on that page at
>> > which photos were taken, but I'm struggling to find photos from those
>> > events on Commons or Flickr under a free license.
>> >
>> > On Commons I found this image:
>> >

>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Liege-Cointe-Tour_Memorial_Interallie-20060605.jpg
>> >
>> > Which is the venue for one of the events, but ideally any images used
>> > would be taken at the events themselves.
>> >
>> > Carcharoth

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

Brian J Mingus
> Can you set the parameters of a search to only
return openly licensed content?

Yes you can..

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=983&q=world+war+II&oq=world+war+II&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1355.2641.0.2846.12.11.0.1.1.0.120.997.8j3.11.0....0...1ac.1.51.img..0.12.987.bGbyYx_-U3Q&gws_rd=ssl#q=world+war+I&tbm=isch&tbs=sur:fc

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Carcharoth <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the tips. Can you set the parameters of a search to only
> return openly licensed content?
>
> The viewing stats are interesting:
>
> http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Centenary_of_the_outbreak_of_World_War_I
>
> A peak of 11,000 views yesterday.
>
> But the main WWI article (not surprisingly) got large numbers of views:
>
> http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/World%20War%20I
>
> 376,450 views on 28 July and another peak at 112,239 on 4 August.
>
> Reached number three in the most-viewed list for the week of July 27
> to August 2, 2014 (and was still at number 15 the following week):
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Top_25_Report/July_27_to_August_2,_2014
>
> On 8/11/14, Brian J Mingus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You can use Google image search to search for openly licensed content.
> This
> > includes images from Flickr.
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Richard Symonds <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Of course Carcharoth.  Cany promise anything but happy to try!

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Liege-Cointe-Tour_Memorial_Interallie-20060605.jpg

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

Katie Chan
On 12/08/2014 17:24, Carcharoth wrote:
> Thanks for the tips. Can you set the parameters of a search to only
> return openly licensed content?

I don't know about Google Images, but you can specify "Creative Commons
only" and filters "Commercial use allowed" & "Modifications allowed" on
Flickr itself.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the

    - Heinrich Heine

---

Re: Help finding photos on Flickr

James Alexander-3
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Carcharoth <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the tips. Can you set the parameters of a search to only
> return openly licensed content?

Aye, if you search for images on google and click 'search tools' then
'usage rights' you can select what kind of usage you want. It doesn't catch
everything (it needs to be able to parse the licenses so commons is usually
not  always available from what I can tell) but can be very useful.

(3 day visual aide http://awesomescreenshot.com/03f3aw6826 click to zoom )