Help identifying false new contributors

Quim Gil-2
Hi,

I'm planning to release the November community metrics report [1] next
week. In order to have more accurate stats on new contributors, can you
help checking these names? It would be great if you are/know the false
new contributor and you would claim the new commits to your Ohloh username.

Note that an old contributor (e.g. in MediaWiki) is still a new
contributor if sends a patch for the first time to e.g. Visual Editor.
The problem comes when "old" editors in a project change the email
address or name, because then Ohloh plays safe and considers them a new
contributor.

Thank you for your help.

MediaWiki
https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
S Page, Amire80, Anomie, MarkAHershberger, Asher, Tpt, burthsceh,
Stephan Gambke.

MediaWiki extensions supported by WMF
https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki-extensions-wmf/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
jeblad, lwelling, Matthew Walker, Inez, Bharat Kumar Jonnalagadda,
Anomia, Merlijn van Deen.

MediaWiki extensions hosted by WMF
https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki-extensions-wmf-hosted/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
Jérémie Roquet, Hydriz.

Wikimedia Puppet
https://www.ohloh.net/p/wikimedia-puppet/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
Silke Meyer

Wikibase
https://www.ohloh.net/p/wikibase/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
Jérémie Roquet, Liangent, Tpt, Hashar.

Parsoid
https://www.ohloh.net/p/Parsoid/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
Iweilling

VisualEditor
https://www.ohloh.net/p/VisualEditor/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
raymond, Inez.

Education Program
https://www.ohloh.net/p/educationprogram/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
Eloquence

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator

Re: Help identifying false new contributors

Platonides
On 26/11/12 23:14, Quim Gil wrote:

> MediaWiki
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
>
> S Page, Amire80, Anomie, MarkAHershberger, Asher, Tpt, burthsceh,
> Stephan Gambke.

MarkAHershberger is not new, but hexmode.
https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki-extensions-wmf/contributors/2630285216718154
already lists MarkAHershberger as an alias, shouldn't have been picked
automatically?

Asher had another commit in svn.

> MediaWiki extensions supported by WMF
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki-extensions-wmf/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
>
> jeblad, lwelling, Matthew Walker, Inez, Bharat Kumar Jonnalagadda,
> Anomia, Merlijn van Deen.

Typo: Anomie

Re: Help identifying false new contributors

James Forrester-4
On 26 November 2012 14:14, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Parsoid
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/Parsoid/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
> Iweilling

Luke was indeed new to Parsoid. :-)

> VisualEditor
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/VisualEditor/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
> raymond, Inez.

Fixed.

J.
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor

[hidden email] | @jdforrester

Re: Help identifying false new contributors

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> MediaWiki
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
> S Page, Amire80, Anomie, MarkAHershberger, Asher, Tpt, burthsceh, Stephan
> Gambke.

I guess gerrit uses "Anomie" as the name for changes I merge. I wonder
why Ohloh doesn't track by email address instead.

On 11/26/2012 03:20 PM, Brad Jorsch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> MediaWiki
>> https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki/contributors?highlight_key=first_checkin&time_span=30+days
>> S Page, Amire80, Anomie, MarkAHershberger, Asher, Tpt, burthsceh, Stephan
>> Gambke.
>
> I guess gerrit uses "Anomie" as the name for changes I merge. I wonder
> why Ohloh doesn't track by email address instead.

Answer from Ohloh: "Ohloh has only tracked names coming out of
source-control, mainly because it was built around CVS and Subversion.
With distributed SCMs, like Git, Mercurial and Bazaar, email addresses
became available but internal data model still relies on names.
Reworking internal data model to make emails first class citizens has
its own drawbacks and cost associated. We are trying to find a middle
ground and are working on making contributions "claimable" by email and
that should improve the flow for contributors." --Qgil (talk) 15:21, 2
November 2012 (UTC)
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Community_metrics/October_2012

:)

--