Help me!

Re: Off-wiki vs. on-wiki discussion

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:22:52 -0500, you wrote:

>We should combine that with the earlier discussion, though -- just
>think of how much time a "Policy discussion considered harmful"
>guideline would save us ;-)

We should discuss that policy.  Oh, wait...
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: Off-wiki vs. on-wiki discussion

geni
On 3/17/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suspect numbers are a more important difference than softwear.

--
geni

Re: Off-wiki vs. on-wiki discussion

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
geni wrote:
> I suspect numbers are a more important difference than softwear.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

Re: Help me!

Daniel R. Tobias
On 17 Mar 2006 at 12:15, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/17/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So we reorder it.
>
> I'm not stoping you.

Oh... you're not practicing techniques used to mine ore bodies by
creating underground "rooms" or stopes supported by surrounding
pillars of standing rock on Alphax?

(See [[Hard rock mining]])

--
== Dan ==

Re: Help me!

Daniel R. Tobias
On 17 Mar 2006 at 16:34, "Steve Bennett" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can I just make the comment that this thread shows why email is much
> better adapted to serious discussions that Wiki software is. Most of
> the comments on AfD are "Delete, per nom" or "Keep <insert brief spiel
> here>". Whereas on email people are actually able to develop ideas
> like "it's a copyvio" beyond that simple troublesome phrase.

At least there's no (easy) way to top-post with fullquotes within
wiki software, so that form of annoying idiocy isn' t present there.

> And to think there was a proposed policy to ban offsite discussion
> about Wikipedia...:)

Just how were they going to try to enforce such a ban?

--
== Dan ==

On 17 Mar 2006 at 17:32, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect numbers are a more important difference than softwear.

Softwear... is that something like underwear?

--
== Dan ==

Re: Off-wiki vs. on-wiki discussion

Chris Jenkinson
Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2006 at 17:32, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I suspect numbers are a more important difference than softwear.
>
> Softwear... is that something like underwear?

Making fun of people who aren't very good at spelling or are dyslexic
never gets old, does it?

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
[hidden email]

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."
  -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Re: Off-wiki vs. on-wiki discussion

Guettarda
On 3/19/06, Chris Jenkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Making fun of people who aren't very good at spelling or are dyslexic
> never gets old, does it?
>
> Chris

I agree.  I'm a picky speller, so making fun of my errors is fair game.
Making fun of Geni's spelling isn't acceptable.

Ian

Re: Help me!

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/19/06, Daniel R. Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At least there's no (easy) way to top-post with fullquotes within
> wiki software, so that form of annoying idiocy isn' t present there.

*bite my tongue*

> > And to think there was a proposed policy to ban offsite discussion
> > about Wikipedia...:)
>
> Just how were they going to try to enforce such a ban?

They weren't.

Steve

Re: Help me!

Ilmari Karonen
Steve Bennett wrote:
>>>And to think there was a proposed policy to ban offsite discussion
>>>about Wikipedia...:)
>>
>>Just how were they going to try to enforce such a ban?
>
> They weren't.

To be fair, I believe at least the proposals I've seen didn't try to
actually ban offsite discussion, but merely the use of such discussions
as justification for policy changes or other on-wiki actions.  That
_would_ be enforceable.

It's also something I'd almost be in favor of myself, at least for those
offsite discussions that aren't even public.  The way I see it, if you
can't say something in public, it's probably not something you should
say at all.

--
Ilmari Karonen

Re: Help me!

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/20/06, Ilmari Karonen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To be fair, I believe at least the proposals I've seen didn't try to
> actually ban offsite discussion, but merely the use of such discussions
> as justification for policy changes or other on-wiki actions.  That
> _would_ be enforceable.
>
> It's also something I'd almost be in favor of myself, at least for those
> offsite discussions that aren't even public.  The way I see it, if you
> can't say something in public, it's probably not something you should
> say at all.

There are a number of different formulations of similar ideas which
have differing levels of force attached to them. It seems reasonable
to say "Don't rock up claiming to have achieved consensus at some late
night poker game with the boys, and expect on-wiki users to accept
it". On the other hand, it's not reasonable to say "Don't talk about
policy anywhere but here."

In general, common sense doesn't seem to be letting us down on this
particular issue, does it?

Steve