Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Daniel Mayer
The FundCom is developing ideas for a fundraising appeal to present to the Board. Please help us
edit the text at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_committee/Fundraising_appeal to
improve it, or create different versions to develop alternative texts.

A good fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things we previously have done
(with an emphasis on what has been done since the last fundraiser) and presents some ideas on what
can be done in the future with additional funds. The point is to impress potential donors on our
track record and instill in them confidence that their support will be well spent and they can be
part of something revolutionary.

The final appeal will be created using ideas generated from this process. That document will then
be translated.

Thank you,

Daniel Mayer,
Secretary PT and Organizer,
Wikimedia Fundaising Committee

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

James Hare
Donors of $100 or more get their picture taken with Jimbo.

</facetious>

On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The FundCom is developing ideas for a fundraising appeal to present to the
> Board. Please help us
> edit the text at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_committee/Fundraising_appeal to
> improve it, or create different versions to develop alternative texts.
>
> A good fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things we
> previously have done
> (with an emphasis on what has been done since the last fundraiser) and
> presents some ideas on what
> can be done in the future with additional funds. The point is to impress
> potential donors on our
> track record and instill in them confidence that their support will be
> well spent and they can be
> part of something revolutionary.
>
> The final appeal will be created using ideas generated from this process.
> That document will then
> be translated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel Mayer,
> Secretary PT and Organizer,
> Wikimedia Fundaising Committee

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Anthony DiPierro
On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A good fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things we previously have done
> (with an emphasis on what has been done since the last fundraiser) and presents some ideas on what
> can be done in the future with additional funds. The point is to impress potential donors on our
> track record and instill in them confidence that their support will be well spent and they can be
> part of something revolutionary.

How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?

How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?

Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Rory Stolzenberg
How much downtime have we had recently, and is that significant compared to
sites with similar popularities?

How many new servers do we need right now? How many over the next few
months?

On 11/6/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > A good fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things
> we previously have done
> > (with an emphasis on what has been done since the last fundraiser) and
> presents some ideas on what
> > can be done in the future with additional funds. The point is to impress
> potential donors on our
> > track record and instill in them confidence that their support will be
> well spent and they can be
> > part of something revolutionary.
> >

> How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?
>
> How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?
>
> Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

James Hare
WMF has around $500k in its bank account last I heard, though they're going
to be spending AT LEAST that on servers. Keep in mind nothing I say is
official.

Downtime? I think the concern is more with slowness than downtime.

On 11/6/06, Rory Stolzenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How much downtime have we had recently, and is that significant compared
> sites with similar popularities?
>
> How many new servers do we need right now? How many over the next few
> months?
>
> On 11/6/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > A good fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things
> > we previously have done
> > > (with an emphasis on what has been done since the last fundraiser) and
> > presents some ideas on what
> > > can be done in the future with additional funds. The point is to
> impress
> > potential donors on our
> > > track record and instill in them confidence that their support will be
> > well spent and they can be
> > > part of something revolutionary.
> > >

> > How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?
> >
> > How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?
> >
> > Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

daniwo59

WMF has nowhere close to $500k in its bank account(s).

In a message dated 11/6/2006 10:58:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

WMF has  around $500k in its bank account last I heard, though they're going
to be  spending AT LEAST that on servers. Keep in mind nothing I say  is
official.

Downtime? I think the concern is more with slowness  than downtime.

On 11/6/06, Rory Stolzenberg <[hidden email]>  wrote:

> How much downtime have we had recently, and is that  significant compared
> sites with similar  popularities?
>
> How many new servers do we need right now? How  many over the next few
> months?
>
> On 11/6/06, Anthony  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/6/06,  Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > A good  fundraising appeal succinctly presents some of the great things
> >  we previously have done
> > > (with an emphasis on what has been  done since the last fundraiser) and
> > presents some ideas on  what
> > > can be done in the future with additional funds. The  point is to
> impress
> > potential donors on our
> >  > track record and instill in them confidence that their support will  be
> > well spent and they can be
> > > part of something  revolutionary.
> > >

> > How much does  Wikimedia currently have in cash?
> >
> > How much does the  Foundation need for the next 6 months?
> >
> >  Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

James Hare
I stand corrected. I mean really corrected. I mean I think I'm going to go
hide now.

--- Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?
>
> How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?

I've been told that audited financial data and some indication of need (not necessarily an
official budget) will be available before the start of the drive.

-- mav

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Brianna Laugher
Commons is going to hit 1M files soon!
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics

I can't remember when the last fundraiser was, but maybe it was
actually before enwp hit 1M as well?

Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

On 5/25/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I asked Michael if we could get a financial report to evaluate the
> situation. Financial statements for the year are roughly done, but for a
> part about Wikimania still not fixed. I suppose Mav should soon give us
> more feedback I expect. We have approximately 530 000 dollars in cash,
> which is roughly what it was at the end of February.

> In a message dated 11/6/2006 10:58:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> WMF has  around $500k in its bank account last I heard, though they're going
> to be  spending AT LEAST that on servers. Keep in mind nothing I say  is
> official.

> WMF has nowhere close to $500k in its bank account(s).

Yes, that financial data is desperately needed, audited or not.  It's
hard to come up with a good (*) appeal for money when you don't have
any idea what you have or how much you need.

Anthony

(*) where "good" means more than just "successful"

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Anthony DiPierro
On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?
> >
> > How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?
>
> I've been told that audited financial data and some indication of need (not necessarily an
> official budget) will be available before the start of the drive.
>
> -- mav

I certainly hope so.  I've never heard of an audit taking nearly 7
months to complete when nothing criminal was going on.

Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

James Hare
The book-keeping must have been that awful, I guess.

On 11/7/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > --- Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?
> > >
> > > How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?
> >
> > I've been told that audited financial data and some indication of need
> (not necessarily an
> > official budget) will be available before the start of the drive.
> >
> > -- mav
> >
> I certainly hope so.  I've never heard of an audit taking nearly 7
> months to complete when nothing criminal was going on.
>
> Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

George William Herbert
On 11/7/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/6/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > --- Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > How much does Wikimedia currently have in cash?
> > >
> > > How much does the Foundation need for the next 6 months?
> >
> > I've been told that audited financial data and some indication of need
> (not necessarily an
> > official budget) will be available before the start of the drive.
> >
> > -- mav
> >
> I certainly hope so.  I've never heard of an audit taking nearly 7
> months to complete when nothing criminal was going on.

I don't have any inside insight into what's going on at WMF, however...

Audit by itself no; audit plus putting into place a new, professional,
properly managed financial management operations system (software,
procedures, databases, etc), and merging the old data into the new system?

Sure.  That takes more than 6 months all the time.

--
-george william herbert

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Michael Davis-4
The audit includes Wikimedia's 2005/6 fiscal year which ended on June
30, 2006.  It is hard to complete an audit for a year until after the
end of that year.

Michael

James Hare wrote:

> The book-keeping must have been that awful, I guess.
>
> On 11/7/06, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I've been told that audited financial data and some indication of need
>>>
>> (not necessarily an
>>
>>> official budget) will be available before the start of the drive.
>>>
>>> -- mav
>>>

>> I certainly hope so.  I've never heard of an audit taking nearly 7
>> months to complete when nothing criminal was going on.
>>
>> Anthony

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Brad Patrick
I would also add that the audit covers the entire span of financial
history of WMF since inception, so three years worth of data.  Also,
this is the first audit of the organization.

On 11/7/06, Michael Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The audit includes Wikimedia's 2005/6 fiscal year which ended on June
> 30, 2006.  It is hard to complete an audit for a year until after the
> end of that year.
>
> Michael
>
> James Hare wrote:
> > The book-keeping must have been that awful, I guess.

> >> (not necessarily an

> >> I certainly hope so.  I've never heard of an audit taking nearly 7
> >> months to complete when nothing criminal was going on.
> >>
> >> Anthony

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Anthony wrote:
<snip>
> It's hard to come up with a good (*) appeal for money when you don't
> have any idea what you have or how much you need.

"Um, we need some money. For stuff."

On 11/7/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
> <snip>
> > It's hard to come up with a good (*) appeal for money when you don't
> > have any idea what you have or how much you need.
> >

> "Um, we need some money. For stuff."

"We have to make it go."

--
-george william herbert

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

jmerkey-3
George Herbert wrote:

>On 11/7/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Anthony wrote:
>><snip>
>>

>>>It's hard to come up with a good (*) appeal for money when you don't
>>>have any idea what you have or how much you need.
>>>

>>"Um, we need some money. For stuff."
>>

>"We have to make it go."

"investing in the future of eKnowledge"

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

James Hare
"If you don't donate, you support proprietary knowledge and are evil."

On 11/7/06, Jeffrey V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> George Herbert wrote:
>
> >On 11/7/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>Anthony wrote:
> >><snip>

> >>"Um, we need some money. For stuff."
> >>

> >"We have to make it go."
> >

> "investing in the future of eKnowledge"

Re: Help needed to develop fundraising appeal ideas

Dariusz Siedlecki
"You know you want to."

That's a wiki-way to edit a pledge for teh moneys.

On 11/8/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "If you don't donate, you support proprietary knowledge and are evil."
>
> On 11/7/06, Jeffrey V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > George Herbert wrote:

> > >"We have to make it go."
> > >

> > "investing in the future of eKnowledge"

Pozdrawiam,