Help on Research

Igor Steinmacher
Hello

My name is Igor Steinmacher and I am a Research Scholar at University of
California,
Irvine. I am conducting a research aiming at finding how to support new
contributors
during their first steps in the project.  My final goal is to verify what
kind of tooling is
appropriate  to  support  the  newcomers  overcoming  their  difficulties
when  they  are
willing to contribute to the project.

The first step of my research is to find out what are the main obstacles
and difficulties
faced by these newcomers. My goal is to hear from the community itself,
interviewing
new contributors and core members.

By having the information regarding the main problems, I will start
figuring out which
mechanisms  can  be  applied  to  provide  the  support.  I  will  keep
the  anonymity  of
interviewers and I have the commitment to publish/return the results
of myresearch to
the community.

I need your help answering my interview. We will conduct the interviews via
textual
chat, and we can schedule it at the time that fits better for you. Please
send me a private
email if you are interested in supporting my research.

I  also  request  your  help  reaching  out  core contributors  so  that
I  can  gather  the  best
information. The data will help gain insights about newcomer issues, and
allow us to
propose initiatives to alleviate the problems faced by newcomers, as a
tentative to retain
them.

To volunteer you must be 18 years or older, be English speaking, and have
experience
in software development.

Feel free to contact me in case you have any doubt or question
regarding myresearch or
the interview process.

Thanks in advance
--
Igor Fabio Steinmacher
Visiting Scholar in Dept of Informatics at UCI (http://www.informatics.uci

Re: Help on Research

Jonathan Morgan
Hi Igor,

Sounds like an interesting & worthwhile project. Have you heard about our
upcoming Research Hackathon Day[1]? That could be a good opportunity for
you to connect with community members and other researchers who might be
able to assist with your study or connect you with people who you can talk
to.

If you haven't done so yet, it's a very good idea to write up a description
of your project on-wiki. You can create a new project here[2], and read
some of the best practices for Wikipedia research here[3].

There are several other links that I'm tempted to put here too... but I
don't want to overwhelm you if you're new to research in this domain :)
Follow up with me personally if you want.

Cheers,
Jonathan

1.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Labs2/Hackathons/November_9th,_2013