Help test SessionManager on WMF beta cluster

Help test SessionManager on WMF beta cluster

Bryan Davis
One of the conclusions from the recent SessionManager rollout failure [0] was:

"we should have recruited and coordinated testing by developers and
users inside and outside of the WMF while the code was only on the
beta testing cluster"

SessionManager is back on the WMF beta cluster [1] now after being
briefly removed for the 1.27.0-wmf.12 release cycle, so an
announcement seems in order. The beta cluster implements a SUL
authenticated wiki farm that is completely separate from the Wikimedia
production SUL system. Helping test SessionManager there would involve
logging in, logging out, creating new user accounts and generally
wandering around the wikis doing things you would normally do in
production while keeping an eye out for session related issues.

If you spot something (or just think you spotted something) file a
Phabricator task with as many details as you can provide and tag it
with the #reading-infrastructure-team project. For session related
issues getting traces of the headers and cookies used in the requests
that are failing is most helpful. You can also poke around in the
logging interface [2] to try and find associated error messages.

If you find other bugs, report them in Phabricator too. :)

Also please remember NOT TO USE passwords in the beta cluster that
match the passwords you use anywhere else on the planet!

[0]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20160123-SessionManagerRolloutFailure
[1]: http://deployment.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page
[2]: https://logstash-beta.wmflabs.org/#/dashboard/elasticsearch/default

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA

Re: Help test SessionManager on WMF beta cluster

Antoine Musso-3
Hello Pywikibot devs and users,

The Wikimedia reading infrastructure team has been working hard on
overhauling the way MediaWiki handles sessions.  It had a few issues and
we had to roll it back.

Bryan Davis announced on wikitech-l the feature has been merged again in
master and it is now enabled on the beta cluster.

I am wondering whether one/all of you could run Pywikibot tests against
the beta cluster to stress out the SessionManager?   Maybe one would be
creative enough to write tests exercising login/logout/creation of users?

We get logs saved on https://logstash-beta.wmflabs.org/

Remember: use a different password!

Below is Bryan original announce. Lets follow up on wikitech-l.

--
Antoine Musso