Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Greg DeKoenigsberg-2
Hi all.  I'm working with the folks at WMF to help run the Weekend of
Code challenge:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Weekend_of_Code

Our goal is to run banners on the various WMF sites, in as many
languages as we can, to let hackers all around the world know about
the contest, and to urge them to participate.  (Note: the contest will
be run in English.)  We're hoping to start the contest in a couple of
weeks, so we need the translations quite quickly.

We're looking to get the following banner text translated into as many
languages as possible:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text

Not exactly sure what the best process is, but I'm delighted to answer
anyone's questions.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  :)

--g

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Translations are done on Meta. Three banners seems overkill, btw.
Was this banner discussed somewhere? I don't remember previous general
banners for any event other than Wikimania (and there are several
upcoming hackathons).

Nemo

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Translations are done on Meta. Three banners seems overkill, btw.
> Was this banner discussed somewhere? I don't remember previous general
> banners for any event other than Wikimania (and there are several
> upcoming hackathons).

Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
with WMF folks directly on this project.

The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
two to hack some code.

It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
but we're certainly going to give it a try.

--g

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Muhammad Yahia

Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
with WMF folks directly on this project.

The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
two to hack some code.

It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
but we're certainly going to give it a try.

This is off-topic of the translation request, But I would second the request for more information or discussion links. Would seem like a good topic for Wikitech-l ?

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
>> fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
>> with WMF folks directly on this project.
>>
>> The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
>> AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
>> provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
>> two to hack some code.
>>
>> It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
>> challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
>> hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
>> but we're certainly going to give it a try.
>>

> This is off-topic of the translation request, But I would second the request
> for more information or discussion links. Would seem like a good topic for
> Wikitech-l ?

I will do it.  Thanks.

--g

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Trần Nguyễn Minh Huy
I have translated
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/vi)
Thank you. :)

2011/10/4, Greg DeKoenigsberg <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
>>> fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
>>> with WMF folks directly on this project.
>>>
>>> The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
>>> AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
>>> provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
>>> two to hack some code.
>>>
>>> It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
>>> challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
>>> hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
>>> but we're certainly going to give it a try.
>>>

>> This is off-topic of the translation request, But I would second the
>> request
>> for more information or discussion links. Would seem like a good topic for
>> Wikitech-l ?
>
> I will do it.  Thanks.
>
> --g

--عبقور*=

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Rajesh Pandey-2
Translated banner for Nepali
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/ne

Thanks.

2011/10/4 Minh Huy Trần Nguyễn <[hidden email]>
I have translated
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/vi)
Thank you. :)

2011/10/4, Greg DeKoenigsberg <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
>>> fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
>>> with WMF folks directly on this project.
>>>
>>> The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
>>> AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
>>> provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
>>> two to hack some code.
>>>
>>> It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
>>> challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
>>> hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
>>> but we're certainly going to give it a try.
>>>

>> This is off-topic of the translation request, But I would second the
>> request
>> for more information or discussion links. Would seem like a good topic for
>> Wikitech-l ?
>
> I will do it.  Thanks.
>
> --g

--عبقور*=

Rajesh Pandey

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Mayeenul Islam
Here is the Bānglā translation:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/bn

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Rajesh Pandey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Translated banner for Nepali
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/ne

Thanks.

2011/10/4 Minh Huy Trần Nguyễn <[hidden email]>
I have translated
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/vi)
Thank you. :)

2011/10/4, Greg DeKoenigsberg <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
>>> fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
>>> with WMF folks directly on this project.
>>>
>>> The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
>>> AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
>>> provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
>>> two to hack some code.
>>>
>>> It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
>>> challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
>>> hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
>>> but we're certainly going to give it a try.
>>>

>> This is off-topic of the translation request, But I would second the
>> request
>> for more information or discussion links. Would seem like a good topic for
>> Wikitech-l ?
>
> I will do it.  Thanks.
>
> --g

--عبقور*=

Rajesh Pandey

____________________________
Mayeenul Islam
Lifetime Student
e-mail: [hidden email]
website: www.galleryM.110mb.com
blog: www.soothtruth.wordpress.com
* regular Contributor to Bānglā Wikipedia (my Wikipedia Profile)

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Greg DeKoenigsberg-2
Thank all of you so much for your translations!  I'm always amazed at the work done by localizers.  The banner text has now been translated into 13 languages, including 7 of the top 10!

French, German and Italian are conspicuously absent, and would all be very welcome.  :)

--g

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Mayeenul Islam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is the Bānglā translation:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/bn

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Rajesh Pandey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Translated banner for Nepali
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/ne

Thanks.

2011/10/4 Minh Huy Trần Nguyễn <[hidden email]>
I have translated
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/vi)
Thank you. :)

2011/10/4, Greg DeKoenigsberg <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about the new-ness of this idea: that's almost certainly my
>>> fault for not being quite sure how to engage folks.  I've been working
>>> with WMF folks directly on this project.
>>>
>>> The upcoming hackathons are mostly hackathons in particular places,
>>> AIUI: New Orleans, India, etc.  The goal of this challenge is to
>>> provide opportunities to basically anyone who can take a weekend or
>>> two to hack some code.
>>>
>>> It's basically an experiment.  If we run banners for a week and
>>> challenge the entire Wikipedia community to spend a couple of weekends
>>> hacking, what results might we get?  Not sure how well it will work,
>>> but we're certainly going to give it a try.
>>>

>> This is off-topic of the translation request, But I would second the
>> request
>> for more information or discussion links. Would seem like a good topic for
>> Wikitech-l ?
>
> I will do it.  Thanks.
>
> --g

--عبقور*=

Rajesh Pandey

____________________________
Mayeenul Islam
Lifetime Student
e-mail: [hidden email]
website: www.galleryM.110mb.com
blog: www.soothtruth.wordpress.com
* regular Contributor to Bānglā Wikipedia (my Wikipedia Profile)

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Yusuke Matsubara
Hi,

I noticed that some of the translations were done before the English
version was changed, and others were done after that.
The change was about replacing "Wikipedia" with "Wikimedia" [1]. Can
you clarify which one we want to use?

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text

Best,
Yusuke

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank all of you so much for your translations!  I'm always amazed at the work done by localizers.  The banner text has now been translated into 13 languages, including 7 of the top 10!
> French, German and Italian are conspicuously absent, and would all be very welcome.  :)
> --g
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Mayeenul Islam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here is the Bānglā translation:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/bn
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Rajesh Pandey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Translated banner for Nepali
>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Weekend_of_Code/Banner_Text/ne
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>> --
>>> Rajesh Pandey

>> --
>> ____________________________
>> Mayeenul Islam
>> Lifetime Student
>> e-mail: [hidden email]
>> website: www.galleryM.110mb.com
>> blog: www.soothtruth.wordpress.com
>> * regular Contributor to Bānglā Wikipedia (my Wikipedia Profile)

Re: Help translating a Global Notice for Wikimedia hackathon

Greg DeKoenigsberg-2
The approved text was "Wikipedia".  I have reverted.  Let's please use that.

--g