Help with Basic Configuration

Patricia Barden
Hello all:

I have a question about some basic configuration settings in
LocalSettings.php that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have an established wiki that was originally set up using MediaWiki
1.4.x (I think). I just upgraded to 1.15.x.

The domain name is www.mywiki.com. The domain name is mapped to a
subdirectory located at /path/to/public_html/mywiki.

Currently, the URL of the main page shows up as:

http://www.mywiki.com/index.php?title=MyWiki

In order to do this, the following variables in LocalSettings.php were
set up as follows:

$wgSitename         = "MyWiki";
$wgScriptPath       = "";
$wgScript           = "$wgScriptPath/index.php";
$wgRedirectScript   = "$wgScriptPath/redirect.php";

$wgArticlePath      = "$wgScript?title=$1";

$wgStylePath        = "$wgScriptPath/skins";
$wgStyleDirectory   = "$IP/skins";
$wgLogo             = "$wgStylePath/monobook/mylogo.png";

$wgUploadPath       = "$wgScriptPath/images";
$wgUploadDirectory  = "$IP/images";

Is there any downside to having the URL set up as http://www.mywiki.com/index.php
  versus the recommended way; i.e., http://www.mywiki.com/wiki/index.php?

Is there any way to switch over to the recommended way without
changing the URL that is shown to the public and search engines?
Perhaps, some way to rewrite the URL in the background?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Patricia

Re: Help with Basic Configuration

Platonides
Patricia Barden wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I have a question about some basic configuration settings in
> LocalSettings.php that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
>
> I have an established wiki that was originally set up using MediaWiki
> 1.4.x (I think). I just upgraded to 1.15.x.
>
> Is there any downside to having the URL set up as http://www.mywiki.com/index.php
>   versus the recommended way; i.e., http://www.mywiki.com/wiki/index.php?
>
> Is there any way to switch over to the recommended way without
> changing the URL that is shown to the public and search engines?
> Perhaps, some way to rewrite the URL in the background?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Patricia

Hello Patricia

No, there's no downside. http://www.mywiki.com/index.php is a stable uri
scheme.
http://www.mywiki.com/wiki/index.php is not "recommended" in any
particular way (you can use that equally well if you wish, though).

The problem with http://www.mywiki.com/index.php?title=MyWiki is that
people find those titles ugly. There are two common ways to prettify them:
*http://www.mywiki.com/index.php/ArticleTitle (automatic with path info
support)
*http://www.mywiki.com/wiki/ArticleTitle
(see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL for instructions)

Note that having /wiki/ArticleTitle does *not* involve moving index.php
to a folder called wiki. index.php must be at a different path. /wiki/
would be a virtual folder and use web server magic to pass it to php.

Some people want to have the articles at
http://www.mywiki.com/ArticleTitle That *does* give problems. Having
index.php at the root doesn't. Since it's an established path, I
wouldn't move the wiki root.

Re: Help with Basic Configuration

Jan Steinman
> From: Patricia Barden <[hidden email]>
>
> Is there any downside to having the URL set up as http://www.mywiki.com/index.php
>  versus the recommended way; i.e., http://www.mywiki.com/wiki/index.php?

Possibly.

If you use aliases to make "pretty" URLs in your website root
directory, you won't be able to access other things in your root.

For example, if you set it up so you can do:
        http://www.MyWiki.com/Wiki_page_name

which looks real nice and is easy for people to type in, then you
cannot do
        http://www.MyWiki.com/Some_real_file.php

(for example) because it will go looking for a wiki page of that name.
Likewise, say you want to install some other software, perhaps a photo
browser like gallery2. You basically cannot do it, because the aliases
used to make pretty wiki URLs will "steal" the URL, So
        http://www.MyWiki.com/Gallery

will go to a wiki page called "Gallery", whether it exists or not, and
your real directory on your website called /Gallery/ will be
inaccessible.

So personally, I think it's a good idea to generally have your wiki in
its own directory. It doesn't have to be "/wiki/"; some people use the
simpler "/w/".

On a client's insistence, I broke this rule of thumb just once
(warning her of the implications), and it came back to bite me when
she wanted other third-party software on her site, and we had to move
the whole wiki back to the way I originally advised her.

:::: The income gap between the rich and the rest of the US population
has been growing so fast, that it might eventually threaten the
stability of democratic capitalism itself. -- Alan Greenspan ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::