Hidden skin preference, but still skins are being changed

Hidden skin preference, but still skins are being changed

Daniel Barrett-3
In our MediaWiki 1.18.1 system, user skin preferences are mysteriously changing. Any advice?

Our admins set everybody to use the Vector skin and hid all the other skins in LocalSettings.php, like so:

$wgDefaultSkin = 'vector';
// We want the Vector JavaScript & CSS page links to show up in My Preferences,
// so don't use $wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'skin'. Hide skins individually.
$mySkipSkins = array(
                     'chick',
                     'standard',
                     'cologneblue',
                     'modern',
                     'monobook',
                     'myskin',
                     'nostalgia',
                     'simple',
                     );
$wgSkipSkins = array_merge($wgSkipSkins, $mySkipSkins);

We also removed all "skin" rows from the user_properties table by database delete command. Nevertheless, some users get the monobook skin sometimes, and we are seeing rows created in user_properties, sometimes blank, and sometimes with up_value = 'monobook'.

mysql> select * from wp_user_properties where up_property = 'skin';
+---------+-------------+----------+
| up_user | up_property | up_value |
+---------+-------------+----------+
|     537 | skin        |          |
|    1341 | skin        |          |
|     559 | skin        |          |
|    1327 | skin        |          |
|     659 | skin        |          |
+---------+-------------+----------+

Users are not setting their skin on purpose to cause this -- something is happening behind their backs. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening, and how to prevent anyone from getting other skins applied? Thanks.

DanB

Re: Hidden skin preference, but still skins are being changed

Pierre Labrecque

Hi,

I have never modify the database for that.. .cannot help on that side...

But, here is a copy of the skins section of my LocalSettings.php:

## Default skin: you can change the default skin. Use the internal symbolic
## names, ie 'standard', 'nostalgia', 'cologneblue', 'monobook':
$wgDefaultSkin = 'vector';
# To remove various skins from the User Preferences choices
$wgSkipSkins = array("chick", "cologneblue", "myskin", "nostalgia", "simple", "standard", "modern", "monobook");
$wgAllowUserSkin = false;

It sets the default skin to Vector for everyone.
It puts on a blacklist the other ones I have on the site.
And (anyway), it disallow the users to be able to change the skin in the Preferences.

But I just discovered that $wgAllowUserSkin is depreciated and replaced by $wgHiddenPrefs
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAllowUserSkin
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgHiddenPrefs

so:
$wgAllowUserSkin = false;
replaced by (?) :
$wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'chick', 'cologneblue', 'myskin', 'nostalgia', 'simple', 'standard', 'modern', 'monobook';

See also:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgHiddenPrefs

Hope this help ;-)

Ciao !

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:00:53 +0000
> Subject: [Mediawiki-l] Hidden skin preference, but still skins are being changed
>
> In our MediaWiki 1.18.1 system, user skin preferences are mysteriously changing. Any advice?
>
> Our admins set everybody to use the Vector skin and hid all the other skins in LocalSettings.php, like so:
>
> $wgDefaultSkin = 'vector';
> // We want the Vector JavaScript & CSS page links to show up in My Preferences,
> // so don't use $wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'skin'. Hide skins individually.
> $mySkipSkins = array(
> 'chick',
> 'standard',
> 'cologneblue',
> 'modern',
> 'monobook',
> 'myskin',
> 'nostalgia',
> 'simple',
> );
> $wgSkipSkins = array_merge($wgSkipSkins, $mySkipSkins);
>
> We also removed all "skin" rows from the user_properties table by database delete command. Nevertheless, some users get the monobook skin sometimes, and we are seeing rows created in user_properties, sometimes blank, and sometimes with up_value = 'monobook'.
>
> mysql> select * from wp_user_properties where up_property = 'skin';
> +---------+-------------+----------+
> | up_user | up_property | up_value |
> +---------+-------------+----------+
> | 537 | skin | |
> | 1341 | skin | |
> | 559 | skin | |
> | 1327 | skin | |
> | 659 | skin | |
> +---------+-------------+----------+
>
> Users are not setting their skin on purpose to cause this -- something is happening behind their backs. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening, and how to prevent anyone from getting other skins applied? Thanks.
>
> DanB

Re: Hidden skin preference, but still skins are being changed

Chad
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Pierre Labrecque
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> $wgAllowUserSkin = false;
> replaced by (?) :
> $wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'chick', 'cologneblue', 'myskin', 'nostalgia', 'simple', 'standard', 'modern', 'monobook';

$wgHiddenPrefs is an array of preference keys, not values. So in
this case it would be skin, like the following:

$wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'skin';

$wgSkipSkins and $wgDefaultSkin haven't changed.

-Chad

Re: Hidden skin preference, but still skins are being changed

Pierre Labrecque

Thanks for sharing the info !!!

Chad writes:
>$wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'skin';

Thanks for the suggestion. Any guesses how users are somehow inserting a 'skin' preference into the user_properties table when the skins are hidden?

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Chad writes:
>>$wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'skin';
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Any guesses how users are somehow inserting a 'skin' preference into the user_properties table when the skins are hidden?

Nope, that *shouldn't* happen.

-Chad