History of discussion pages

Rut-3
Hi Everyone,

some curiosity brought me this question: is it possible to see/access/get the history of the discussion pages?

thanks!
rut

Re: History of discussion pages

Nicholas Moreau
Yes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Sesame_Street&action=history

Or are you meaning the actual steps that led to the creation of
history pages--I believe it was one of Brion Vibber's first major
additions to the MediaWiki software.

Nick

On 3/30/07, Rut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> some curiosity brought me this question: is it possible to see/access/get
> the history of the discussion pages?
>
> thanks!
> rut

Re: History of discussion pages

Oldak
On 30/03/07, Rut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> some curiosity brought me this question: is it possible to see/access/get
> the history of the discussion pages?

Is it possible to view a history of the revisions of the talk page?
Yes. Every viewable page on Wikipedia has a history of revisions
regardless of the namespace it is in.

To see the history of revisions of the talk page, view the talk page
and press the history tab at the top of the page (the history tab
accesses the history of revisions of whatever page you're viewing,
whether the article proper or the talk page).

The URL for history pages is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=[x]&action=history Replace
[x] with the name of the page including namespace and underscores.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: History of discussion pages

Gregory Maxwell
The data for all the non-deleted talk page revisions can be found in
the all namespaces history dump on download.wikimedia.org.

On 3/30/07, Rut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> some curiosity brought me this question: is it possible to see/access/get
> the history of the discussion pages?
>
> thanks!
> rut

Re: History of discussion pages

Brion Vibber-3

Re: History of discussion pages

Nicholas Moreau
Okay, maybe it wasn't you, but I remember hearing (don't remember the source) that before Wikipedia was launched, everybody discussed everything on the mainpage, mainly because there was no talk page feature. I guess I'm just spreading stories.

Nick

Nicholas Moreau wrote:
> Yes...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Sesame_Street&action=history
>
> Or are you meaning the actual steps that led to the creation of
> history pages--I believe it was one of Brion Vibber's first major
> additions to the MediaWiki software.

Eh... no? That not only predates my involvement, it predates the
existence of Wikipedia.

- -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

Re: History of discussion pages

Andre Engels
2007/4/2, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]>:
> Okay, maybe it wasn't you, but I remember hearing (don't remember the
> source) that before Wikipedia was launched, everybody discussed everything
> on the mainpage, mainly because there was no talk page feature. I guess I'm
> just spreading stories.

I know that in the old days of Wikipedia, discussion pages were normal
pages titled [[Title/Talk]]. On the page itself, a link could be
created with the text [[/Talk]]. The current method of having a
specific namespace for that was I think created together with the
current software, in which case Magnus Manske would be the person to
praise for it.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: History of discussion pages

Jimmy Wales
Andre has it right, and if you dig into the very oldest email archives,
you will find that the inventor of the "talk page" was Tim Shell, later
a board member of the Foundation.

Andre Engels wrote:

> 2007/4/2, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]>:
>> Okay, maybe it wasn't you, but I remember hearing (don't remember the
>> source) that before Wikipedia was launched, everybody discussed everything
>> on the mainpage, mainly because there was no talk page feature. I guess I'm
>> just spreading stories.
>
> I know that in the old days of Wikipedia, discussion pages were normal
> pages titled [[Title/Talk]]. On the page itself, a link could be
> created with the text [[/Talk]]. The current method of having a
> specific namespace for that was I think created together with the
> current software, in which case Magnus Manske would be the person to
> praise for it.

Re: History of discussion pages

phoebe ayers
There's a variety of types of wiki software where comments are
integrated into the body of the page itself, generally below the
content of the page; Mediawiki is notable in separating the two
functions (discussion & article) but I don't know if it was the
*first* wiki software to do so. History pages for content (any kind of
content) have been around for a long time though, as Brion notes.

-- phoebe

On 4/2/07, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, maybe it wasn't you, but I remember hearing (don't remember the
> source) that before Wikipedia was launched, everybody discussed everything
> on the mainpage, mainly because there was no talk page feature. I guess I'm
> just spreading stories.
>
> Nick
>

> On 4/2/07, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Nicholas Moreau wrote:
> > > Yes...
> > >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Sesame_Street&action=history
> > >
> > > Or are you meaning the actual steps that led to the creation of
> > > history pages--I believe it was one of Brion Vibber's first major
> > > additions to the MediaWiki software.
> >
> > Eh... no? That not only predates my involvement, it predates the
> > existence of Wikipedia.
> >
> > - -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

Re: History of discussion pages

Sunir Shah
On Wiki (i.e. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki), the one that started it
all, it had been long a convention to move all discussion to
separate Discussion pages. So, for a given PageName, the discussion
would be punted to PageNameDiscussion.

--ss

On 4/2/07, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, maybe it wasn't you, but I remember hearing (don't remember the
> source) that before Wikipedia was launched, everybody discussed everything
> on the mainpage, mainly because there was no talk page feature. I guess
I'm

> just spreading stories.
>
> Nick
>

> On 4/2/07, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Nicholas Moreau wrote:
> > > Yes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Sesame_Street&action=history

> > > Or are you meaning the actual steps that led to the creation of
> > > history pages--I believe it was one of Brion Vibber's first major
> > > additions to the MediaWiki software.
> >
> > Eh... no? That not only predates my involvement, it predates the
> > existence of Wikipedia.
> >
> > - -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

Re: History of discussion pages

Nicholas Moreau
Tim, that's it. I knew it was someone connected in some way to either
Wikimedia or Wikipedia.