Hosting & Website

Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
Hi together,

I just installed two wikis:
- board.wikimedia.ch
- members.wikimedia.ch

ch.wikimedia.org should later be redirected to www.wikimedia.ch.

For www.wikimedia.ch we should decide what kind of page we'd like to install
there. Wikimedia Deutschland uses Wordpress in a MediaWiki-look. I would
prefer Typo3 to present current news and dates. Typo3 has (as Wordpress) the
ability to work with different users as redacteurs and groups. It's quite
complicated to administrate as it can nearly do anything (if you know how to
realise) but it's also very nice and easy to use for redacteurs.

www.wikipedia.ch will show the common portal we already use which redirects to
the specific languages of wikipedia.org.

I also set up several mail forwardings:
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
- [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)

As there is no queue for rm exists I redirect info-rm to wm-ch where I hope
that we have volunteers from Wikimedia CH who can answer this mails (if there
are any at least).

Now I will start the KK to transfer both domains to the new server. Later, we
should transfer the data on ch.wikimedia.org to members.wikimedia.ch and then
ask for the redirect.

Gruss,

Manuel
All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

Re: Hosting & Website

Michael Bimmler
Thanks a lot. (Firefox states btw when loading any of the two
mentioned wikis "Firefox can't find the server at board (or members
respecively).wikimedia.ch"
The email redirects are nice!
Michael

On 5/1/06, Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi together,
>
> I just installed two wikis:
> - board.wikimedia.ch
> - members.wikimedia.ch
>
> ch.wikimedia.org should later be redirected to www.wikimedia.ch.
>
> For www.wikimedia.ch we should decide what kind of page we'd like to install
> there. Wikimedia Deutschland uses Wordpress in a MediaWiki-look. I would
> prefer Typo3 to present current news and dates. Typo3 has (as Wordpress) the
> ability to work with different users as redacteurs and groups. It's quite
> complicated to administrate as it can nearly do anything (if you know how to
> realise) but it's also very nice and easy to use for redacteurs.
>
> www.wikipedia.ch will show the common portal we already use which redirects to
> the specific languages of wikipedia.org.
>
> I also set up several mail forwardings:
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
>
> As there is no queue for rm exists I redirect info-rm to wm-ch where I hope
> that we have volunteers from Wikimedia CH who can answer this mails (if there
> are any at least).
>
> Now I will start the KK to transfer both domains to the new server. Later, we
> should transfer the data on ch.wikimedia.org to members.wikimedia.ch and then
> ask for the redirect.
>
> Gruss,
>

> Manuel
> All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Hosting & Website

Michael Bimmler
Sorry, me was sleeping... As you said "Now I will start the KK to
transfer both domains to the new server. "... Withdrawn my comment

--
Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Hosting & Website

Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
> Sorry, me was sleeping... As you said "Now I will start the KK to
> transfer both domains to the new server. "... Withdrawn my comment
exactly... we will have to wait.

I'm not sure if Thierry Pool is on this list - please contact him (someone who
knows him).

Greets,

Manuel
All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

Re: Hosting & Website

Michael Bimmler
I sent him an email

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Sorry, me was sleeping... As you said "Now I will start the KK to
> > transfer both domains to the new server. "... Withdrawn my comment
> exactly... we will have to wait.
>
> I'm not sure if Thierry Pool is on this list - please contact him (someone who
> knows him).
>
> Greets,
>

> Manuel
> All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Hosting & Website

Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
> I sent him an email
I just informed akl at the IRC-Channel.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I sent him an email
> I just informed akl at the IRC-Channel.

Okay.

> All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Hosting & Website

Frédéric Schütz
Manuel Schneider [Everything Open] wrote:

> I also set up several mail forwardings:
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)

Would it make sense to redirect more of these to [hidden email]
(OTRS) ? I am thinking that someone who writes to *.ch must have a
special connection with Switzerland; as such, it may be more interesting
to have his email go directly to the "Swiss team", especially since we
have made sure that we can handle questions in English, German, French
and Italian (and can always the request somewhere else if needed).

Of course, if a question related to Switzerland goes to e.g.
[hidden email], it can always be moved to the wm-ch queue (and
vice-versa); however, it may also get answered quickly by someone else
reading info-fr, and wm-ch may never know that this email was sent
(losing the opportunity to add someone to our address book, etc).

Just a detail, really.

Frédéric

Re: Hosting & Website

Michael Bimmler
Hm, I was at the point of writing something like that too. I mean, the
wm-ch queue is quite well maintained now, so nothing will get lost,
and if a mail to [hidden email] appears to be really an
editorial matter, we may still hand it over to info-de queue (same for
fr and it)
So I come to support this idea of Frédéric. (And btw, if you have a
question to italian Wikipedia, which is uninteressant for us as being
an editorial matter, will to write to [hidden email] instead of
[hidden email] or something alike? Probably not=
Regards
Michael

On 5/1/06, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Manuel Schneider [Everything Open] wrote:
>
> > I also set up several mail forwardings:
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
> > - [hidden email] -> [hidden email] (OTRS)
>
> Would it make sense to redirect more of these to [hidden email]
> (OTRS) ? I am thinking that someone who writes to *.ch must have a
> special connection with Switzerland; as such, it may be more interesting
> to have his email go directly to the "Swiss team", especially since we
> have made sure that we can handle questions in English, German, French
> and Italian (and can always the request somewhere else if needed).
>
> Of course, if a question related to Switzerland goes to e.g.
> [hidden email], it can always be moved to the wm-ch queue (and
> vice-versa); however, it may also get answered quickly by someone else
> reading info-fr, and wm-ch may never know that this email was sent
> (losing the opportunity to add someone to our address book, etc).
>
> Just a detail, really.
>
> Frédéric

Regards
Michael Bimmler

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Hosting & Website

Ilario Valdelli
I reply you after some days, but I think it could be useful.

I know Wordpress and I'm approaching to Typo3. The problem is that
Wordpress is a blog factory whereas typo3 is a standard CMS.

This difference is considerable because a blogger has no workflow (or
smaller workflow) and a simple management of users. It's also
difficult to create domains with owners.

If you should manage different domains, different owners, different
users with complex rights or workflows (i.e. editing, approving,
publishing with editor, approver, etc.) more complex than a wiki or a
blog, Typo3 is a good choice.

In any case if you need some help to modiy PHP pages or to manage or
modify MySQL tables, I'm available.

Ilario

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi together,
>
> I just installed two wikis:
> - board.wikimedia.ch
> - members.wikimedia.ch
>
> ch.wikimedia.org should later be redirected to www.wikimedia.ch.
>
> For www.wikimedia.ch we should decide what kind of page we'd like to install
> there. Wikimedia Deutschland uses Wordpress in a MediaWiki-look. I would
> prefer Typo3 to present current news and dates. Typo3 has (as Wordpress) the
> ability to work with different users as redacteurs and groups. It's quite
> complicated to administrate as it can nearly do anything (if you know how to
> realise) but it's also very nice and easy to use for redacteurs.
>
> www.wikipedia.ch will show the common portal we already use which redirects to
> the specific languages of wikipedia.org.

Re: Hosting & Website

rupert.thurner-2
hi,

uuh - i'd need training for typo3 - which is one of the most feature
rich cms (content management systems) i know, hehe ...

i would strongly suggest to take wordpress. it looks good and does
exactly what we want it to do: news for the first page.

for coordination/group edit, i would suggest to stay with wiki and
choose one which has user-rights on page level and allows to make
groups, like moinmoin.

otherwise we should not be "wikimedia ch" but "cmsmedia ch" :)

rupi.
--------------
you already know? wikipedia tried to let prof. bertrand meyer die. but
people don't die that easy, in contrary: he is coming to our wikipedia
day ... go and see what he says about that the 2006-06-17, eth zürich,
details on http://wikimedia.ch.

On 5/2/06, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I reply you after some days, but I think it could be useful.
>
> I know Wordpress and I'm approaching to Typo3. The problem is that
> Wordpress is a blog factory whereas typo3 is a standard CMS.
>
> This difference is considerable because a blogger has no workflow (or
> smaller workflow) and a simple management of users. It's also
> difficult to create domains with owners.
>
> If you should manage different domains, different owners, different
> users with complex rights or workflows (i.e. editing, approving,
> publishing with editor, approver, etc.) more complex than a wiki or a
> blog, Typo3 is a good choice.
>
> In any case if you need some help to modiy PHP pages or to manage or
> modify MySQL tables, I'm available.
>
> Ilario
>
> On 5/1/06, Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi together,
> >
> > I just installed two wikis:
> > - board.wikimedia.ch
> > - members.wikimedia.ch
> >
> > ch.wikimedia.org should later be redirected to www.wikimedia.ch.
> >
> > For www.wikimedia.ch we should decide what kind of page we'd like to install
> > there. Wikimedia Deutschland uses Wordpress in a MediaWiki-look. I would
> > prefer Typo3 to present current news and dates. Typo3 has (as Wordpress) the
> > ability to work with different users as redacteurs and groups. It's quite
> > complicated to administrate as it can nearly do anything (if you know how to
> > realise) but it's also very nice and easy to use for redacteurs.
> >
> > www.wikipedia.ch will show the common portal we already use which redirects to
> > the specific languages of wikipedia.org.

Re: Hosting & Website

Ilario Valdelli
Ok,
in Italian Wikimedia there was only a problem (they have used
Mediawiki) when the features have required to have pages with
restricted access. Usually blogger and/or wiki hasn't controlled
access: the login allows the access to all pages. It's possible to use
another configuration with restricted group and restricted login but
it isn't easy to implement. You should verify this open point.

Regards

Ilario

On 5/3/06, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok,
> in Italian Wikimedia there was only a problem (they have used
> Mediawiki) when the features have required to have pages with
> restricted access. Usually blogger and/or wiki hasn't controlled
> access: the login allows the access to all pages. It's possible to use
> another configuration with restricted group and restricted login but
> it isn't easy to implement. You should verify this open point.

Hm, quite easy solution: different wikis. One Site www.wikimedia.ch
(doesn't matter what system it is then based on). One password-secured
wiki members.wikimedia.ch (access secured, like with .htaccess if
using an Apache [the only system I know abit]).
Another password-secured wiki board.wikimedia.ch
So we don't need a great deal of page restriction etc.
Michael