Hosting requirements

david cuthbertson
Hi,

I am a newbie looking for (low cost) hosting of a
mediawiki site that I am in the process of creating.

How big a mysql database do I require?

It currently has 1,370 'pages', relating to about 50
articles and I guess it will end up with perhaps 10
times that.

www.1and1.co.uk business hosting offer 2.5Gb of space,
20Gb monthly traffic (which looks very good for just
£8.99/month) *but* only 2 mysql databases of
100Mb(each/both?).

Currently my ISP's cgi server hosts my wiki (for
free), but it is a minimal service. If I remember
correctly they offer 50Mb space on their cgi server;
they also offer 250Mb website space.

Cheers,
David

Re: Hosting requirements

Henry Olders
Check out http://dreamhost.com
They offer a simply mediawiki install.

Henry

On 7 Feb 2006, at 12:15, david cuthbertson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie looking for (low cost) hosting of a
> mediawiki site that I am in the process of creating.
>
> How big a mysql database do I require?
>
> It currently has 1,370 'pages', relating to about 50
> articles and I guess it will end up with perhaps 10
> times that.
>
> www.1and1.co.uk business hosting offer 2.5Gb of space,
> 20Gb monthly traffic (which looks very good for just
> £8.99/month) *but* only 2 mysql databases of
> 100Mb(each/both?).
>
> Currently my ISP's cgi server hosts my wiki (for
> free), but it is a minimal service. If I remember
> correctly they offer 50Mb space on their cgi server;
> they also offer 250Mb website space.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Re: Hosting requirements

Jon Simon
My wiki is hosted through 1and1 without
difficulty since being installed last October.

At 12:15 PM 07/02/2006, david cuthbertson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am a newbie looking for (low cost) hosting of a
>mediawiki site that I am in the process of creating.
>
>How big a mysql database do I require?
>
>It currently has 1,370 'pages', relating to about 50
>articles and I guess it will end up with perhaps 10
>times that.
>
>www.1and1.co.uk business hosting offer 2.5Gb of space,
>20Gb monthly traffic (which looks very good for just
>£8.99/month) *but* only 2 mysql databases of
>100Mb(each/both?).
>
>Currently my ISP's cgi server hosts my wiki (for
>free), but it is a minimal service. If I remember
>correctly they offer 50Mb space on their cgi server;
>they also offer 250Mb website space.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Re: Hosting requirements

david cuthbertson
Thanks Henri,
http://dreamhost.com looks really good. Anyone know of
a UK based host?

What I really want to get a feel for is the size of
mysql database I might end up with.

Previously I wrote:
> It currently has 1,370 'pages', relating to about 50
> articles and I guess it will end up with perhaps 10
> times that.

Cheers,
David

Re: Hosting requirements

david cuthbertson
Hi Jon,
Being new to mediawikis, any chance of visiting your
1and1 hosted site?
Hope that's Ok,
Cheers
David

--- Jon Simon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My wiki is hosted through 1and1 without
> difficulty since being installed last October.
>
> At 12:15 PM 07/02/2006, david cuthbertson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am a newbie looking for (low cost) hosting of a
> >mediawiki site that I am in the process of
> creating.
> >
> >How big a mysql database do I require?
> >
> >It currently has 1,370 'pages', relating to about
> 50
> >articles and I guess it will end up with perhaps 10
> >times that.
> >
> >www.1and1.co.uk business hosting offer 2.5Gb of
> space,
> >20Gb monthly traffic (which looks very good for
> just
> >£8.99/month) *but* only 2 mysql databases of
> >100Mb(each/both?).
> >
> >Currently my ISP's cgi server hosts my wiki (for
> >free), but it is a minimal service. If I remember
> >correctly they offer 50Mb space on their cgi
> server;
> >they also offer 250Mb website space.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >David

Re: Hosting requirements

Jon Simon
I took down a lot of it recently as I am changing
its vocation. You can find it at http://wiki.demarc.ca.

At 02:50 PM 07/02/2006, you wrote:

>Hi Jon,
>Being new to mediawikis, any chance of visiting your
>1and1 hosted site?
>Hope that's Ok,
>Cheers
>David
>
>--- Jon Simon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > My wiki is hosted through 1and1 without
> > difficulty since being installed last October.
> >
> > At 12:15 PM 07/02/2006, david cuthbertson wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I am a newbie looking for (low cost) hosting of a
> > >mediawiki site that I am in the process of
> > creating.
> > >
> > >How big a mysql database do I require?
> > >
> > >It currently has 1,370 'pages', relating to about
> > 50
> > >articles and I guess it will end up with perhaps 10
> > >times that.
> > >
> > >www.1and1.co.uk business hosting offer 2.5Gb of
> > space,
> > >20Gb monthly traffic (which looks very good for
> > just
> > >£8.99/month) *but* only 2 mysql databases of
> > >100Mb(each/both?).
> > >
> > >Currently my ISP's cgi server hosts my wiki (for
> > >free), but it is a minimal service. If I remember
> > >correctly they offer 50Mb space on their cgi
> > server;
> > >they also offer 250Mb website space.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >David

Hosting requirements

david cuthbertson
Thanks Jon,

Your pages loaded consistently in about 2 seconds on
my machine.

My site: http://ccgi.davidc.force9.co.uk/goethe
can only manage that at best, but often takes very,
very much longer. I run the 'vanilla' mediawiki
software (MediaWiki 1.5.4; PHP 4.3.10; MySQL
4.0.24_Debian-10-log), but have assumed the download
time to be a server problem - one of the reasons for
wanting to move.