Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Brion Vibber-4
I'm seeing verrrrrry slow downloads from Wikipedia on the hotel wifi, on the order of 20-30 kbytes/sec, whereas I get a very respectable 500 kbytes/sec to everywhere else.

slow test URLs:

Re: Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Ralf Roletschek
I have _upload_ 7 pictures with 26 MB in 3 Minutes. (150 kB/s) but in the time, who are the most eating ;)

Ralf

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Ralf Roletschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have _upload_ 7 pictures with 26 MB in 3 Minutes. (150 kB/s) but in the time, who are the most eating ;)

Heh... on further poking, I can confirm that uploads run at the full ~500 kbytes/sec for me, but the response download *on the same connection* is right back down to 20-30 kbytes/sec.

Weeeeird! :D  When I get back downstairs I'll retest on the hackathon network, see if that behaves different from the hotel one.

-- brion

Ralf

I'm seeing verrrrrry slow downloads from Wikipedia on the hotel wifi, on the order of 20-30 kbytes/sec, whereas I get a very respectable 500 kbytes/sec to everywhere else.

slow test URLs:

Re: Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi Brion,

such issues may be based on routing, depending of the peerings between
the Hilton ISP and Wikimedia. One would need to check both ASes and use
the respective looking glasses (does Wikimedia have one?) to check the
routes.
Many routes are also assymmetrical, so up- and downlink can vary.

/Manuel

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Brion,

such issues may be based on routing, depending of the peerings between
the Hilton ISP and Wikimedia. One would need to check both ASes and use
the respective looking glasses (does Wikimedia have one?) to check the
routes.
Many routes are also assymmetrical, so up- and downlink can vary.

*nod*

Filed in phab and attached some traceroute info from my end: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105984

-- brion

/Manuel

Am 16.07.2015 um 02:45 schrieb Brion Vibber:
> I'm seeing verrrrrry slow downloads from Wikipedia on the hotel wifi, on
> the order of 20-30 kbytes/sec, whereas I get a very respectable 500
> kbytes/sec to everywhere else.

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Manuel Schneider-3
Oh, Cogent and Telia... I have seen issues between the two before...

/Manuel

Am 16.07.2015 um 03:50 schrieb Brion Vibber:

> *nod*
>
> Filed in phab and attached some traceroute info from my end:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105984

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Emmanuel Engelhart-5

On 16.07.2015 03:50, Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Manuel Schneider
>
>     Hi Brion,
>
>     such issues may be based on routing, depending of the peerings between
>     the Hilton ISP and Wikimedia. One would need to check both ASes and use
>     the respective looking glasses (does Wikimedia have one?) to check the
>     routes.
>     Many routes are also assymmetrical, so up- and downlink can vary.
>

> *nod*
>
> Filed in phab and attached some traceroute info from my end:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105984
This remembers me similar problems we have had remarked in Hong-Kong (I
don't remember the ticket number) where people had (still have?)
problems to upload data to Commons even with theoretically good-enough
connections.

At that time is was IMO pretty obvious that we suffer of a lack of
End-2-End approach of the problem (in particular lack of tool to make
the correct measurements).

Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Emmanuel Engelhart, 16/07/2015 06:54:

Context: bug 60283. http://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T62283

> At that time is was IMO pretty obvious that we suffer of a lack of
> End-2-End approach of the problem (in particular lack of tool to make
> the correct measurements).

Yeah, there are probably hundreds of regions with similar problems at
least for some part of the users which we never get to know about.

Nemo

Am 16.07.2015 um 06:54 schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:

> At that time is was IMO pretty obvious that we suffer of a lack of
> End-2-End approach of the problem (in particular lack of tool to make
> the correct measurements).

that's exactly what we need a looking glass I have asked for. Almost
every owner of an AS runs a looking glass to be able - and help other
people to - analyse such issues. Because they are more common than you
might think.

So do we have a looking glass? If not, who can set up one?

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Hotel wifi fast generally but very slow on Wikipedia

Brion Vibber-4
Ok, Faidon poked at it: confirmed that one of the routes coming back from our servers to the hotel network was highly congested and switched priorities to the non-congested route.

Much, much improved. :)

-- brion

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 16.07.2015 um 06:54 schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:

> At that time is was IMO pretty obvious that we suffer of a lack of
> End-2-End approach of the problem (in particular lack of tool to make
> the correct measurements).

that's exactly what we need a looking glass I have asked for. Almost
every owner of an AS runs a looking glass to be able - and help other
people to - analyse such issues. Because they are more common than you
might think.

So do we have a looking glass? If not, who can set up one?

I don't believe we do; someone has to manually log in and do the measurements so far. :(

File a request in Phabricator for now and I'll bug the ops folks about it. :)

-- brion

/Manuel

Am 16.07.2015 um 17:42 schrieb Brion Vibber:

> I don't believe we do; someone has to manually log in and do the
> measurements so far. :(
>
> File a request in Phabricator for now and I'll bug the ops folks about
> it. :)

done:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T106056

/Manuel