How do I partially lock the database?

Garrett Baumgartner
How do I protect the database in Mediawiki such that people in the Sysop
group can edit the database normally, but regular users can only edit Talk
pages?  Would this involve somehow protecting specific namespaces (e.g.,
everything except Talk)?  Is it even possible?  I don't want the database to
be editable by just anyone off the internet but I do want it to be editable
to anyone I trust enough to give sysopness.

Also, what precisely does the dev-level "lock database" do?  Can the person
with developer permissions still edit the database?  Are the talk pages
unaffected?  I can't check because it didn't ask me to set up a dev account
when I installed it (it did give me a bureaucrat / sysop though).  I am
looking at the table in PhpMyAdmin and the rows my default account has are:

1 bureaucrat
1 sysop

I tried adding another row for user 1 with the user group "developer" but
that didn't work.  I renamed it to "dev" and that didn't work either.  What
group is it?

Thanks.

- Garrett

Re: How do I partially lock the database?

Rotem Liss
You can block the people from editing every page, with the following
lines in LocalSettings.php:

$wgGroupPermissions["*"]["edit"] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions["user"]["edit"] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions["sysop"]["edit"] = false;

However it will also stop people from editing talk pages.

You also can block the user creations, so users won't be able to
register at all (except with permission by you), and anonymous users
won't be able to edit:

$wgGroupPermissions["*"]["edit"] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions["*"]["createaccount"] = false;

Again, it will stop them from editing talk pages.

However, there are two more permissions - "createpage" and "createtalk"
- which are seperated. You can ask in Bugzilla to add seperate
permissions - "editpage" and "edittalk" - for this purpose. You can also
develop it in your code.

As for the "lock database" of the developers: as far as I understand,
there is no developer permission in the downloaded MediaWiki (it's an
extension, I think, and so is the permission to lock databases), and the
"lock database" affects talk pages as well as content pages.

rotemliss

Garrett Baumgartner wrote:

>How do I protect the database in Mediawiki such that people in the Sysop
>group can edit the database normally, but regular users can only edit Talk
>pages?  Would this involve somehow protecting specific namespaces (e.g.,
>everything except Talk)?  Is it even possible?  I don't want the database to
>be editable by just anyone off the internet but I do want it to be editable
>to anyone I trust enough to give sysopness.
>
>Also, what precisely does the dev-level "lock database" do?  Can the person
>with developer permissions still edit the database?  Are the talk pages
>unaffected?  I can't check because it didn't ask me to set up a dev account
>when I installed it (it did give me a bureaucrat / sysop though).  I am
>looking at the table in PhpMyAdmin and the rows my default account has are:
>
>1 bureaucrat
>1 sysop
>
>I tried adding another row for user 1 with the user group "developer" but
>that didn't work.  I renamed it to "dev" and that didn't work either.  What
>group is it?
>
>Thanks.
>
>- Garrett

Re: How do I partially lock the database?

Rob Church
On 05/04/06, Rotem Liss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As for the "lock database" of the developers: as far as I understand,
> there is no developer permission in the downloaded MediaWiki (it's an
> extension, I think, and so is the permission to lock databases), and the
> "lock database" affects talk pages as well as content pages.

"developer" is a more or less unused permission which is required to
access Special:Lockdb and Special:Unlockdb. Neither of those are
what's desired.

Rob Church

On 05/04/06, Garrett Baumgartner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I protect the database in Mediawiki such that people in the Sysop
> group can edit the database normally, but regular users can only edit Talk
> pages?  Would this involve somehow protecting specific namespaces (e.g.,
> everything except Talk)?  Is it even possible?

No. MediaWiki doesn't contain this sort of access control. You could
hack this in, however.

> Also, what precisely does the dev-level "lock database" do?

Prevents writes to the database.

Rob Church

Re: How do I partially lock the database?

Rotem Liss
He has asked about that permission, see the original message.

Rob Church wrote:

>On 05/04/06, Rotem Liss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>As for the "lock database" of the developers: as far as I understand,
>>there is no developer permission in the downloaded MediaWiki (it's an
>>extension, I think, and so is the permission to lock databases), and the
>>"lock database" affects talk pages as well as content pages.
>>

>"developer" is a more or less unused permission which is required to
>access Special:Lockdb and Special:Unlockdb. Neither of those are
>what's desired.
>

>Rob Church

Re: How do I partially lock the database?

Rob Church
On 05/04/06, Rotem Liss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> He has asked about that permission, see the original message.

To which I also responded.

Rob Church