How do you change the logo URL

Audrey White
I am working on our mediawiki wiki and have been asked to change the URL
that the left hand logo goes to, to our school's home page.  This is
probably very simple but I am not sure what in Localsettings.php to
change.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Audrey

-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-
Audrey L. White
Web Developer
College of the Holy Cross
Information Technology Services
Smith Hall - Room 101
Box ITS - One College Street
Worcester, MA  01610-2395
ph 508/793-3846
fax:  508/793-2711

Re: How do you change the logo URL

Robert Pfau
Audrey White schrieb:

>I am working on our mediawiki wiki and have been asked to change the URL
>that the left hand logo goes to, to our school's home page.  This is
>probably very simple but I am not sure what in Localsettings.php to
>change.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Audrey
>
>-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-
>Audrey L. White
>Web Developer
>College of the Holy Cross
>Information Technology Services
>Smith Hall - Room 101
>Box ITS - One College Street
>Worcester, MA  01610-2395
>ph 508/793-3846
>fax:  508/793-2711
>[hidden email]

you can edit it manually in your Monobook.php
Quick & Dirty
      <a style="background-image: url(<?php $this->text('logopath') ?>);"
        href="your/url>"
        title="<?php $this->msg('mainpage') ?>"></a>
maybe there is a "cleaner" way...i dont know

.robert

Re: How do you change the logo URL

Hínandil
Robert Pfau wrote:

> Audrey White schrieb:
>
>> I am working on our mediawiki wiki and have been asked to change the URL
>> that the left hand logo goes to, to our school's home page.  This is
>> probably very simple but I am not sure what in Localsettings.php to
>> change.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> you can edit it manually in your Monobook.php
> maybe there is a "cleaner" way...i dont know

I should think there is!

Change this line (or add it if it doesn't exist) in your
LocalSettings.php file.  Then you will not need to hack your skin files
every time you upgrade.  The logo pretty much wants to be no greater
than 135x135 or you'll have some problems, I believe.  Test it before
you walk away.  :)

$wgLogo             = "/webpath/to/logo.file";

Hînandil

Re: How do you change the logo URL

Audrey White
To clarify,  I know how to assign the logo image in localsettings.php

The default behavior is for the logo image to be linked (or points at)
the mainpage of the wiki.
Like http://mywiki.blah.com/main_page .  But I want it to remain an
image AND point to our college home page http://www.holycross.edu .

The suggestion to hack monobook.php seems like it will work but I
really would prefer a solution in either localsettings.php or from
inside the wiki.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Audrey

-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-

Hínandil schrieb:

> Robert Pfau wrote:
>
>> Audrey White schrieb:
>>
>>> I am working on our mediawiki wiki and have been asked to change the URL
>>> that the left hand logo goes to, to our school's home page. This is
>>> probably very simple but I am not sure what in Localsettings.php to
>>> change.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>
>> you can edit it manually in your Monobook.php
>> maybe there is a "cleaner" way...i dont know
>

> I should think there is!
>
> Change this line (or add it if it doesn't exist) in your
> LocalSettings.php file. Then you will not need to hack your skin files
> every time you upgrade. The logo pretty much wants to be no greater
> than 135x135 or you'll have some problems, I believe. Test it before
> you walk away. :)
>
> $wgLogo = "/webpath/to/logo.file";
>
> Hînandil

I think he just wanted to change the href not the logo itself
please correct me if iam wrong...

.robert

Re: How do you change the logo URL

Thomas Gries

Audrey:
if you want to link an image to an arbitrary target (internal wiki page
or external URL), you can use the so-called imagelink extension
originally written by Brion
See
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=mediawiki+imagelink.php&btnG=Suche&meta=
for current locations on the Web.

Robert Pfau wrote:
> I think he just wanted to change the href not the logo itself
> please correct me if iam wrong...

I see, so he says, too.  I reread his email a couple times and still
think it's ambiguous, but to be honest I would say I leaned the wrong
way in interpreting it.  Sorry, but I just see so many people try to
hack files indiscriminately that I came to the wrong conclusion.  Es tut
mir leid!

I think you're right, then, and Mr. White will need to make the change
along the lines of what you've described.  A "cleaner" method would be
preferable but I don't believe one exists... I can't see the use of
putting in a reference to a new MediaWiki namespace page like
Wikilogotarget if the page needs hacked with every version upgrade,
although he could judge the situation better.

Hínandil