How many papers / books about wikis?

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello,
to everyone to whom it concerns, my best wishes for the year 2020!
I am interested in the number of scientific papers or monographies,
articles etc. about wikis. Do you know about a paper that has come up with
a relatively recent number?
In my understanding, there are several problems that make it unwise to
simply search for "wiki" in a general catalogue:
* the word wiki can appear in words such as "Wikinger" (German for:
viking), or it is used as a metaphor (e.g., for a reform of democracy)
* some entities such as Wikileaks have "wiki" in their name, but are no
wikis, and some entities such as Open Street Map are wikis, but don't have
the word in their name
* wiki relevant topics may appear under terms such as "collaborative
writing" or "open content creation".

Kind regards
Ziko

Re: How many papers / books about wikis?

Juergen Fenn-4

Am 05.01.20 um 14:35 Uhr schrieb Ziko van Dijk:
> I am interested in the number of scientific papers or monographies,
> articles etc. about wikis. Do you know about a paper that has come up with
> a relatively recent number?
> In my understanding, there are several problems that make it unwise to
> simply search for "wiki" in a general catalogue:

Dear Ziko,

also, a happy new year to you and to everyone else on the list!

If you are interested in books about a subject you can actively search
library catalogues for items related to a subject. E.g., in the
catalogue of the German National Library there is a GND Sachbegriff
called "Wiki" as <http://d-nb.info/gnd/4806885-8>. Other Sachbegriffe
that come into mind might be Online-Community
<http://d-nb.info/gnd/1071012568>, Social Media
<http://d-nb.info/gnd/4639271-3>, etc. Just play around with the
thesaurus they use and take a look into subject cataloguing. Do not
search for the title "wiki", but rather for the subject term. You might
also like to have a look into other national library catalogues, as
sometimes the Swiss or the Austrian catalogues differ from the German
one. No idea what other library traditions might be in this respect. LOC
will probably not be as detailed as ours because they usually start and
end with Dewey...

Hope this helps,
J├╝rgen.

Re: How many papers / books about wikis?

Stuart A. Yeates
This largely depends on what you mean by "about"

Many tens of thousands of articles use a wikipedia or other WMF
service as a source in some way (either a source for a definition, a
selection or as a traditional datasource in some way) or speculate
about the future of wikis.

At the other end of the spectrum, a vanishing small number tell
experienced wikipedia editors anything they didn't already know about
their wikipedia or other WMF service or quantify things we know in
ways we don't see as deeply flawed.

cheers
stuart

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 02:36, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> to everyone to whom it concerns, my best wishes for the year 2020!
> I am interested in the number of scientific papers or monographies,
> articles etc. about wikis. Do you know about a paper that has come up with
> a relatively recent number?
> In my understanding, there are several problems that make it unwise to
> simply search for "wiki" in a general catalogue:
> * the word wiki can appear in words such as "Wikinger" (German for:
> viking), or it is used as a metaphor (e.g., for a reform of democracy)
> * some entities such as Wikileaks have "wiki" in their name, but are no
> wikis, and some entities such as Open Street Map are wikis, but don't have
> the word in their name
> * wiki relevant topics may appear under terms such as "collaborative
> writing" or "open content creation".
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko

Re: How many papers / books about wikis?

Ziko van Dijk-3
Thanks, guys. Allow me to explain my motivation: I try to find out how
"big" is research into wikis and Wikipedia at the moment. How much
attention is given to it. And what would the basis look like if you'd try
to establish a proper academic discipline about wikis.
Kind regards
Ziko