Quantcast

How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Chris Koerner-2
Hello,

The Maps team at the Wikimedia Foundation is getting closer to make it
possible to add interactive maps <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps> to
Wikipedia. If you've ever used services like Google Maps or Mapquest you
may be familiar with interactive maps. We’d like to invite editors to have
a conversation on how these maps might be used within articles. We've put
together information on how these maps and their style works from a
technical perspective
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps/Conversation_about_interactive_map_use>
– where the data comes from, how maps are styled, how to add an interactive
map, and a few example use cases.

In particular we would like to focus the discussion around three key
questions (open discussion outside these questions is welcome too).

* What types of articles would use interactive maps?

* How do these articles differ in their requirements?

* Are there any classes of articles whose map styling requirement is
fundamentally in conflict with other article classes, thus requiring
multiple styles?

If you are interested, please visit
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps/Conversation_about_interactive_map_use
to learn more and get involved.
--
Yours,
Chris Koerner

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Elias Friedman
So, no mobile support as yet? Your example map was a big blank spot in
mobile mode.

When I did click through for the "desktop" version of the page, the map
displayed the same thoroughly annoying behavior as all these maps do when I
encounter them. That is, when I tried to scroll the page, I wound up
scrolling the map instead.

I have never found interactive maps to be particularly useful anyplace I've
found them throughout the web. They're too small and limited in
functionality; when I've been given the option, I've usually clicked
through to get a regular Google Maps page.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
Elias Friedman A.S., CCEMT-P
אליהו מתתיהו בן צבי
[hidden email]
"יְהִי אוֹר"
On May 2, 2016 5:24 PM, "Chris Koerner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Maps team at the Wikimedia Foundation is getting closer to make it
> possible to add interactive maps <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps> to
> Wikipedia. If you've ever used services like Google Maps or Mapquest you
> may be familiar with interactive maps. We’d like to invite editors to have
> a conversation on how these maps might be used within articles. We've put
> together information on how these maps and their style works from a
> technical perspective
> <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps/Conversation_about_interactive_map_use
> >
> – where the data comes from, how maps are styled, how to add an interactive
> map, and a few example use cases.
>

> In particular we would like to focus the discussion around three key
> questions (open discussion outside these questions is welcome too).
>

> * What types of articles would use interactive maps?
>
> * How do these articles differ in their requirements?
>
> * Are there any classes of articles whose map styling requirement is
> fundamentally in conflict with other article classes, thus requiring
> multiple styles?
>
> If you are interested, please visit
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps/Conversation_about_interactive_map_use
> to learn more and get involved.
> --
> Yours,
> Chris Koerner
> Community Liaison - Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Elias Friedman, 02/05/2016 23:42:
> I have never found interactive maps to be particularly useful anyplace I've
> found them throughout the web. They're too small and limited in
> functionality; when I've been given the option, I've usually clicked
> through to get a regular Google Maps page.

What defines "regular"? The available space? Is an OpenStreetMap.org
page also "regular" and to you prefer a link over transclusion?

Federico

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Brill Lyle
I was also wondering about OpenStreetMap, and if there was any sort of
cooperative integration with Wikimedia projects.

As far as useful maps, the genealogy society I am a member of has these
incredible resource maps.

Main locality page:
http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~community~-502272~K

Resource Map:
http://data.jewishgen.org/maps/mapdist8.asp?lat=53.1167&long=19.0500

It's Google Maps but I think it's really great. There's no mobile version
of these pages but I checked that the map works pretty well on my iPhone.
It is content rich and interactive, pointing to resources.

I have also created maps that trace biographical data for a Holocaust
survivor in my family that mapped where he was during and after the war. It
is probably overkill for many biographical entries but for important
historical figures it might be sort of cool.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hy-PVwQ92xYXlscW0_k1-Si0hKw&usp=sharing

I also like leaflet -- http://leafletjs.com/ -- very gorgeous.

- Erika

*Erika Herzog*
Wikipedia *User:BrillLyle* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BrillLyle>
Secretary, Wikimedia NYC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC>

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Elias Friedman, 02/05/2016 23:42:
>
>> I have never found interactive maps to be particularly useful anyplace
>> I've
>> found them throughout the web. They're too small and limited in
>> functionality; when I've been given the option, I've usually clicked
>> through to get a regular Google Maps page.
>>

> What defines "regular"? The available space? Is an OpenStreetMap.org page
> also "regular" and to you prefer a link over transclusion?
>
> Federico

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Brill Lyle, 03/05/2016 01:10:
> I was also wondering about OpenStreetMap, and if there was any sort of
> cooperative integration with Wikimedia projects.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia ;
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps (the subject of this thread) is
arguably the main integration project, but if you're interested in
historical maps maybe http://wikimaps.wikimedia.fi/ fits better.

Nemo

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

James Salsman-2
Will their still be a way to get a wide choice of competing commercial map
services from geographical coordinates?

What happens when you try to print an interactive map?

Do we think that the Foundation can offer solutions for maps accessible to
the visually impaired at least as good as those of commercial map services?