How to Edit User's Profiles

Ross Xu
Hi there,
Some user's accounts don't have their real names. Instead, they just have usernames.
I'd like to edit those user's accounts to put their real names, but I couldn't find a way to do it.
Is there a way to do it, or do I have to install an extenstion and which?
Thanks,
Ross Xu

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Sean McAfee
Ross Xu wrote:
> Hi there,
> Some user's accounts don't have their real names. Instead, they just have usernames.
> I'd like to edit those user's accounts to put their real names, but I couldn't find a way to do it.
> Is there a way to do it, or do I have to install an extenstion and which?
> Thanks,
> Ross Xu

I use (and like) http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EditUser, but
it stopped being maintained and may not work on > 1.15.

I'd be interested in hearing about any alternatives out there.

--
Sean McAfee
Senior Systems Engineer

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Angela-5
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Sean McAfee
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use (and like) http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EditUser, but
> it stopped being maintained and may not work on > 1.15.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about any alternatives out there.

Special:Piggyback could be used as an alternative. It lets you log in
as though you were another user, so you can do anything they could do,
including editing of preferences.

The code is here:
https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/Piggyback/

Angela

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Łukasz Garczewski-4
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Sean McAfee
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use (and like) http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EditUser, but
>> it stopped being maintained and may not work on > 1.15.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing about any alternatives out there.
>
> Special:Piggyback could be used as an alternative. It lets you log in
> as though you were another user, so you can do anything they could do,
> including editing of preferences.
>
> The code is here:
> https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/Piggyback/

And in case you're wondering, yes, this is GPL-licensed, per
https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/LICENSE

--
Lucas 'TOR' Garczewski
Wikia Tech Team

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

toshi esumi-3
On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 07:32 -0700, Ross Xu wrote:
> Hi there,
> Some user's accounts don't have their real names. Instead, they just have usernames.
> I'd like to edit those user's accounts to put their real names, but I couldn't find a way to do it.
> Is there a way to do it, or do I have to install an extenstion and which?
> Thanks,
> Ross Xu
I'm not an DB admin. But it probably wouldn't take long to figure out
how to edit wikidb database/mw_user table/user_real_name field for each
user. My case is mysql though.

Toshi

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Daniel Barrett-3
There's also the script maintenance/userOptions.php.

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Ross Xu
Thanks guys!
But it seems the extension:EditUser is removed from download. I couldn't find anywhere to download it anymore. Could you please provide me with a link to download?

As for the extension:Piggyback, I couldn't find any instructions. Are there any instructions somewhere available?

Thanks again,
Ross Xu

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use (and like) http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EditUser, but
> it stopped being maintained and may not work on > 1.15.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about any alternatives out there.

Special:Piggyback could be used as an alternative. It lets you log in
as though you were another user, so you can do anything they could do,
including editing of preferences.

The code is here:
https://svn.wikia-code.com/wikia/trunk/extensions/wikia/Piggyback/

Angela

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Ross Xu
Thank you, Sean, for the files.
I have installed them, configured as suggested, and I can see the Special:EditUser page, but I get the HTTP 500 error as long as I go to the Special:EditUser/username page or search from Special:EditUser.
Any idea?
Thanks again,
Ross

> But it seems the extension:EditUser is removed from download. I couldn't find anywhere to download it anymore. Could you please provide me with a link to download?
>  As for the extension:Piggyback, I couldn't find any instructions. Are there any instructions somewhere available?
>  Thanks again,
> Ross Xu

Ross,

Took this offlist, but here are the four files I have in production.  As far as I can tell, I've made no changes.  They just need to go into "extensions/EditUser", and I think you know how it works from there.

As far as configs go, I just have:
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edituser'] = true;

-- Sean McAfee
Senior Systems Engineer

Ross Xu wrote:
> Thank you, Sean, for the files.
> I have installed them, configured as suggested, and I can see the
> Special:EditUser page, but I get the HTTP 500 error as long as I go to
> the Special:EditUser/username page or search from Special:EditUser.
> Any idea?
> Thanks again,
> Ross

Holy crap, I didn't realize you could do Special:EditUser/Username!

The only thing that I could suggest is checking permissions on
extensions/EditUser/ (and its contents.)

Anything from the Apache logs?

--
Sean McAfee
Senior Systems Engineer

Re: How to Edit User's Profiles

Platonides
Ross Xu wrote:
> Thank you, Sean, for the files.
> I have installed them, configured as suggested, and I can see the Special:EditUser page, but I get the HTTP 500 error as long as I go to the Special:EditUser/username page or search from Special:EditUser.
> Any idea?
> Thanks again,
> Ross

Do you have EditUser_body.php file?
Does it work if you copy it to a subfolder called 1.16?
(assuming that's the version you're running)