How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

david-217
Hi;
I need a method or workaround to allow users to put contents with
wikitext tables inside template parameters.
The users use Open/Libre-Office MediaWiki export to generate the
wikitext and it is preferable that they do not have to add any extra
wikitext or codes.

This is my testing page:
http://www.eoi.es/wiki/index.php/Usuario:Dvdgmz/pruebas

If I write this the template (well the table) crashes:

{{Test|Contenido=
{| class="wikitable"
| bla
| bla bla
|-
| hola
|hola hola
|}

}}

Using Pipe Escape don't crashes but I don't want to ask users to write
it:

{{Test|Contenido=
{{#!:
{| class="wikitable"
| bla
| bla bla
|-
| hola
|hola hola
|}
}}
}}

I tried to put the Pipe Escape tags inside the template but seems to be
ignored.

David.

Re: How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi David,

What about putting the table in the free text instead? Do you actually
need to store the table using SMW?

-Yaron

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi;
> I need a method or workaround to allow users to put contents with
> wikitext tables inside template parameters.
> The users use Open/Libre-Office MediaWiki export to generate the
> wikitext and it is preferable that they do not have to add any extra
> wikitext or codes.
>
> This is my testing page:
> http://www.eoi.es/wiki/index.php/Usuario:Dvdgmz/pruebas
>
> If I write this the template (well the table) crashes:
>
> {{Test|Contenido=
> {| class="wikitable"
> | bla
> | bla bla
> |-
> | hola
> |hola hola
> |}
>
> }}
>
> Using Pipe Escape don't crashes but I don't want to ask users to write
> it:
>
> {{Test|Contenido=
> {{#!:
> {| class="wikitable"
> | bla
> | bla bla
> |-
> | hola
> |hola hola
> |}
> }}
> }}
>
> I tried to put the Pipe Escape tags inside the template but seems to be
> ignored.
>

> David.

Re: How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

david-217
El dl 13 de 02 de 2012 a les 15:35 -0500, en/na Yaron Koren va escriure:
> Hi David,
>
> What about putting the table in the free text instead? Do you actually
> need to store the table using SMW?

Mmhh, no specially.
But I need to 'build' the page using diferent "blocks", the users (book
authors) can add diferent kind of blocks of title+text, only text,
image, only text again, etc... every "block" is a multiple-instance
template embed in a field of the main page template. Conditionals inside
the template decide the aparence of the block depending on the chosen
type. Then I need the content inside the template.
I thought it would be a good approach to allow authors to construct
pages without knowing wikitext (an allowing the 'system' to count how
many sections, images, ... where in the page), but now I doubt about it.

- David.

> -Yaron
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I need a method or workaround to allow users to put contents with
> > wikitext tables inside template parameters.
> > The users use Open/Libre-Office MediaWiki export to generate the
> > wikitext and it is preferable that they do not have to add any extra
> > wikitext or codes.
> >
> > This is my testing page:
> > http://www.eoi.es/wiki/index.php/Usuario:Dvdgmz/pruebas
> >
> > If I write this the template (well the table) crashes:
> >
> > {{Test|Contenido=
> > {| class="wikitable"
> > | bla
> > | bla bla
> > |-
> > | hola
> > |hola hola
> > |}
> >
> > }}
> >
> > Using Pipe Escape don't crashes but I don't want to ask users to write
> > it:
> >
> > {{Test|Contenido=
> > {{#!:
> > {| class="wikitable"
> > | bla
> > | bla bla
> > |-
> > | hola
> > |hola hola
> > |}
> > }}
> > }}
> >
> > I tried to put the Pipe Escape tags inside the template but seems to be
> > ignored.
> >

> > David.

Re: How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

Ed Swing
How about something like having different queries form the different tables, and then put in each inside a DIV tag, allowing you to toggle the visibility? I haven't worked this idea out totally, but it might be a start.

El dl 13 de 02 de 2012 a les 15:35 -0500, en/na Yaron Koren va escriure:
> Hi David,
>
> What about putting the table in the free text instead? Do you actually
> need to store the table using SMW?

Mmhh, no specially.
But I need to 'build' the page using diferent "blocks", the users (book
authors) can add diferent kind of blocks of title+text, only text, image, only text again, etc... every "block" is a multiple-instance template embed in a field of the main page template. Conditionals inside the template decide the aparence of the block depending on the chosen type. Then I need the content inside the template.
I thought it would be a good approach to allow authors to construct pages without knowing wikitext (an allowing the 'system' to count how many sections, images, ... where in the page), but now I doubt about it.

- David.

> -Yaron
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I need a method or workaround to allow users to put contents with
> > wikitext tables inside template parameters.
> > The users use Open/Libre-Office MediaWiki export to generate the
> > wikitext and it is preferable that they do not have to add any extra
> > wikitext or codes.
> >
> > This is my testing page:
> > http://www.eoi.es/wiki/index.php/Usuario:Dvdgmz/pruebas
> >
> > If I write this the template (well the table) crashes:
> >
> > {{Test|Contenido=
> > {| class="wikitable"
> > | bla
> > | bla bla
> > |-
> > | hola
> > |hola hola
> > |}
> >
> > }}
> >
> > Using Pipe Escape don't crashes but I don't want to ask users to
> > write
> > it:
> >
> > {{Test|Contenido=
> > {{#!:
> > {| class="wikitable"
> > | bla
> > | bla bla
> > |-
> > | hola
> > |hola hola
> > |}
> > }}
> > }}
> >
> > I tried to put the Pipe Escape tags inside the template but seems to
> > be ignored.
> >

> > David.

The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Re: How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

Neill Mitchell
Hi David.

I'm doing exactly what you are doing to provide my users with a page
builder.

You can use the PipeEscape function to allow tables and other mark up
with pipes. Simply wrap your text fields within {{#!: }} and you are
good to go.

Cheers
Neill.

On 13/02/12 22:37, david wrote:

> El dl 13 de 02 de 2012 a les 15:35 -0500, en/na Yaron Koren va escriure:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> What about putting the table in the free text instead? Do you actually
>> need to store the table using SMW?
> Mmhh, no specially.
> But I need to 'build' the page using diferent "blocks", the users (book
> authors) can add diferent kind of blocks of title+text, only text,
> image, only text again, etc... every "block" is a multiple-instance
> template embed in a field of the main page template. Conditionals inside
> the template decide the aparence of the block depending on the chosen
> type. Then I need the content inside the template.
> I thought it would be a good approach to allow authors to construct
> pages without knowing wikitext (an allowing the 'system' to count how
> many sections, images, ... where in the page), but now I doubt about it.
>
> - David.
>
>> -Yaron
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM, david<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi;
>>> I need a method or workaround to allow users to put contents with
>>> wikitext tables inside template parameters.
>>> The users use Open/Libre-Office MediaWiki export to generate the
>>> wikitext and it is preferable that they do not have to add any extra
>>> wikitext or codes.
>>>
>>> This is my testing page:
>>> http://www.eoi.es/wiki/index.php/Usuario:Dvdgmz/pruebas
>>>
>>> If I write this the template (well the table) crashes:
>>>
>>> {{Test|Contenido=
>>> {| class="wikitable"
>>> |-
>>>
>>> }}
>>>
>>> Using Pipe Escape don't crashes but I don't want to ask users to write
>>> it:
>>>
>>> {{Test|Contenido=
>>> {{#!:
>>> {| class="wikitable"
>>> |-
>>> }}
>>> }}
>>>
>>> I tried to put the Pipe Escape tags inside the template but seems to be
>>> ignored.
>>>

>>> David.

Re: How to allow users to put tables inside templates?

Krabina Bernhard
Hi Neill,

I'm having trouble with wikitext in properties. When the user inputs a table inside a property (type:text). the table is not shown. I came across you posting, but I cannot get it to work. I installed the Extension:Pipe_Escape but as I am using Semantic Forms to store the data I am not sure on where to put it. Everyplace I tried did not work.

Can you give me a hint?

I even changed
[[Kurzbeschreibung::{{{Kurzbeschreibung|}}}]]
in the template to
{{{Kurzbeschreibung|}}}
{{#set:Kurzbeschreibung={{{Kurzbeschreibung|}}}}}

To have it displayed and set to a property on two different places, but I can't figure where to put the {{#!: }}

regards,
Bernhard

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----