How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Walter van Kalken
I am getting extremely impatient with RonaldB he seems to have a fetish
for blocking Thai IP addresses on the Dutch wikipedia and he doesn't
answerd emails send to him. I cannot even edit when I am logged in, not
from a friends computer which uses a different provider. Is it the
wikimedia foundations goal to block me??

The last two weeks I have found the IP adresses of my provider
constantly blocked, pre-emptively by RonaldB without any sign of
vandalism by those IP adresses. Wikipedia can be editted by anyone? Not
by me!

Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Walter van Kalken
The issue has been raised over 10 times and everytime it is happening
again. I want someone to toss some heads finally ot I will want all my
1000 + articles I wrote deleted as I cannot edit them anymore.

Waerth

>The Foundation is deliberately restrained from managing the community
>and content of Wikimedia projects. This separation exists for many
>reasons. You should raise this issue with the community of the Dutch
>Wikipedia.
>
>Walter van Kalken wrote:
>

>>I am getting extremely impatient with RonaldB he seems to have a fetish
>>for blocking Thai IP addresses on the Dutch wikipedia and he doesn't
>>answerd emails send to him. I cannot even edit when I am logged in, not
>>from a friends computer which uses a different provider. Is it the
>>wikimedia foundations goal to block me??
>>
>>The last two weeks I have found the IP adresses of my provider
>>constantly blocked, pre-emptively by RonaldB without any sign of
>>vandalism by those IP adresses. Wikipedia can be editted by anyone? Not
>>by me!
>>
>>Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

M. Williamson
Hi,

[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
attention if you call people stupid.
[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
not be deleted.

Mark

On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue has been raised over 10 times and everytime it is happening
> again. I want someone to toss some heads finally ot I will want all my
> 1000 + articles I wrote deleted as I cannot edit them anymore.
>
> Waerth
>
> >The Foundation is deliberately restrained from managing the community
> >and content of Wikimedia projects. This separation exists for many
> >reasons. You should raise this issue with the community of the Dutch
> >Wikipedia.
> >
> >Walter van Kalken wrote:
> >

> >>I am getting extremely impatient with RonaldB he seems to have a fetish
> >>for blocking Thai IP addresses on the Dutch wikipedia and he doesn't
> >>answerd emails send to him. I cannot even edit when I am logged in, not
> >>from a friends computer which uses a different provider. Is it the
> >>wikimedia foundations goal to block me??
> >>
> >>The last two weeks I have found the IP adresses of my provider
> >>constantly blocked, pre-emptively by RonaldB without any sign of
> >>vandalism by those IP adresses. Wikipedia can be editted by anyone? Not
> >>by me!
> >>
> >>Waerth

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Mark Williamson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
>attention if you call people stupid.
>[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
>all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
>not be deleted.

I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).

Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Even though what you write is true, you do not make the point by
referring to the English Wikipedia rules.
Thanks,
     GerardM

Mark Williamson schreef:

> Hi,
>
> [[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
> attention if you call people stupid.
> [[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
> all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
> not be deleted.
>
> Mark
>
> On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The issue has been raised over 10 times and everytime it is happening
>> again. I want someone to toss some heads finally ot I will want all my
>> 1000 + articles I wrote deleted as I cannot edit them anymore.
>>
>> Waerth
>>

>>> The Foundation is deliberately restrained from managing the community
>>> and content of Wikimedia projects. This separation exists for many
>>> reasons. You should raise this issue with the community of the Dutch
>>> Wikipedia.

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

M. Williamson
Wikipedia can deny access to whomever they so choose. Also, it's not
as if people are denying you access on purpose.

Mark

On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Williamson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
> >attention if you call people stupid.
> >[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
> >all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
> >not be deleted.
> >

> I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
> denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).
>
> Waerth

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Subsume
It would stand up very poorly, as its an international issue and I'm
not sure they made an expressed guarantee to you.

Look, just be patient, get ahold of people who can effectively deal
with your problem and keep a cool head

Or keep blowing up at the list. Eventually we'll get bored.

-S

On 2/13/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Williamson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
> >attention if you call people stupid.
> >[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
> >all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
> >not be deleted.
> >

> I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
> denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).
>
> Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Mathias Schindler-2
On 2/13/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The issue has been raised over 10 times and everytime it is happening
> again. I want someone to toss some heads finally ot I will want all my
> 1000 + articles I wrote deleted as I cannot edit them anymore.

Hi Walter,

I would like to ask you to donate at least 10% of your efforts which
are usually spent on this list by you to convince the Thailand
government or the Thai ISPs to fix their internet access so we might
be able to ban "just the right people" in the future. 10% should be
more than enough to convince them.

Mathias

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Walter van Kalken
Thanks for your reaction, I would like to know how you would react if
you were editting for years and this is happening every 2 or 3 weeks.
And nobody reacts anymore. This whole pre-emptive blocking has blocked
most of the Thai IP's on nl.wikipedia without there being any vandalism
from those ip's.

Waerth

>It would stand up very poorly, as its an international issue and I'm
>not sure they made an expressed guarantee to you.
>
>Look, just be patient, get ahold of people who can effectively deal
>with your problem and keep a cool head
>
>Or keep blowing up at the list. Eventually we'll get bored.
>
>-S
>
>On 2/13/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Mark Williamson wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
>>>attention if you call people stupid.
>>>[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
>>>all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
>>>not be deleted.
>>>

>>I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
>>denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).
>>
>>Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Subsume
I would be very, very unhappy and probably rant angrily at the list.
But if I wanted true sympathy from others for my cause, that would not
be very effective.

-S

ps: Or I would find a proxy server?

On 2/13/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reaction, I would like to know how you would react if
> you were editting for years and this is happening every 2 or 3 weeks.
> And nobody reacts anymore. This whole pre-emptive blocking has blocked
> most of the Thai IP's on nl.wikipedia without there being any vandalism
> from those ip's.
>
> Waerth
>

> >It would stand up very poorly, as its an international issue and I'm
> >not sure they made an expressed guarantee to you.
> >
> >Look, just be patient, get ahold of people who can effectively deal
> >with your problem and keep a cool head
> >
> >Or keep blowing up at the list. Eventually we'll get bored.
> >
> >-S

> >>I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
> >>denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).
> >>
> >>Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark Williamson wrote:

> >[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
> >attention if you call people stupid.
> >[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
> >all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
> >not be deleted.

> I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
> denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).

Sue and see if the GFDL holds up in court.

- d.

David Gerard wrote:

>On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Mark Williamson wrote:
>>

>>>[[WP:NPA]] -- you're not going to get anyone's sympathy nor their
>>>attention if you call people stupid.
>>>[[WP:OWN]] -- you don't own any of the articles you wrote. You gave up
>>>all rights to the text when you submitted them to Wikipedia. They will
>>>not be deleted.
>>>

>>I would like to see how that would stand up in a court if wikipedia is
>>denying me access without a valid reason (not a vandal etc).
>>

>Sue and see if the GFDL holds up in court.

Yes mister Gerard why should you help a fellow wikipedian out I wonder.

Mathias Schindler wrote:

>On 2/13/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>The issue has been raised over 10 times and everytime it is happening
>>again. I want someone to toss some heads finally ot I will want all my
>>1000 + articles I wrote deleted as I cannot edit them anymore.
>>

>Hi Walter,
>
>I would like to ask you to donate at least 10% of your efforts which
>are usually spent on this list by you to convince the Thailand
>government or the Thai ISPs to fix their internet access so we might
>be able to ban "just the right people" in the future. 10% should be
>more than enough to convince them.

Read Thai fora and websites over Thailand. It will not work. providers
do not care as there are just a few foreigners suffering from this. Most
Thais only visit Thai websites.

Waerth

Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:

> >Sue and see if the GFDL holds up in court.

> Yes mister Gerard why should you help a fellow wikipedian out I wonder.

I happily help people who don't *start* with screaming and shitting on
the wrong list.

- d.

David Gerard wrote:

>On 13/02/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>David Gerard wrote:
>>

>>>Sue and see if the GFDL holds up in court.
>>>

>>Yes mister Gerard why should you help a fellow wikipedian out I wonder.
>>

>I happily help people who don't *start* with screaming and shitting on
>the wrong list.

This is about the 4th or 5th time in a year that this is happening so
may I be tat pissed of. and in all those times I can only remember you
as the least co-operative of all and the most aggressive.

Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Subsume
Can we end this feud?

What is the state of things? "Too bad so sad" or is there a way to
appeal this problem?

-S

On 2/13/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is about the 4th or 5th time in a year that this is happening so
> may I be tat pissed of. and in all those times I can only remember you
> as the least co-operative of all and the most aggressive.
>
> Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Marco Chiesa
Walter van Kalken wrote:

>This is about the 4th or 5th time in a year that this is happening so
>may I be tat pissed of. and in all those times I can only remember you
>as the least co-operative of all and the most aggressive.
>
>Waerth

I'n not sure how many nl.wiki sysops are on this list, but I'm pretty
sure there are more on wikipedia-nl, or on the Dutch IRC channel. Since
you're a well known and respected user, I see no reason why they
shouldn't unblock your IP every time you ask, at least for registered
users. If all Thailand shares the same IP, then it would be a good idea
to write that in the IP's userpage, so that sysops only apply short or
soft blocks. Or become sysop yourself so you can auto-unblock
yourself... But I guess you already knew these answers...

Marco

On 13/02/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we end this feud?
> What is the state of things? "Too bad so sad" or is there a way to
> appeal this problem?

en:wp has the ability to block only for IP users, not for logged-in
users. I'd be surprised if nl:wp lacks this.

i.e., it needs to be taken up with nl:wp. No-one here who isn't an
nl:wp admin can do anything.

- d.

David Gerard wrote:

>On 13/02/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Can we end this feud?
>>What is the state of things? "Too bad so sad" or is there a way to
>>appeal this problem?
>>

>en:wp has the ability to block only for IP users, not for logged-in
>users. I'd be surprised if nl:wp lacks this.
>
>i.e., it needs to be taken up with nl:wp. No-one here who isn't an
>nl:wp admin can do anything.

nl-wikipedia has this feature as well. It is just that the mod who is
autoblocking all open proxies (the vast majority of Thai ISP's) is NOT
blocking with this switched on, he is hardblocking. He has been asked
many times not to do this also in Dutch villagepump. But he still does
it. Also having to ask this xx's of times in a short space is really
getting on my nerves. Everytime it is promised the mod will change his
ways everytime he doesn't.

Waerth

Re: [Foundation-l] How to edit wikipedia when stupid mods block all Thai ip addresses

Subsume
Give me a link, I'll stir shit up for you.