How to find administration pages?

Ken McDonald-2
As a brand-new MW admin, my understanding is that the MediaWiki:
namespace has various protected special pages that might make my admin
task easier. But a search on "MediaWiki:" didn't turn up any titles, nor
can I find any other entry points to such pages. (I am operating with
full "sysop" access.) Am I misunderstanding something? Is most of the
administration currently done via mysql and editing .php files?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: How to find administration pages?

Elliott F. Cable
Go to the page 'Special:Specialpages' (Type it in the searchbox)

On May 26, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Ken McDonald wrote:

> As a brand-new MW admin, my understanding is that the MediaWiki:
> namespace has various protected special pages that might make my admin
> task easier. But a search on "MediaWiki:" didn't turn up any
> titles, nor
> can I find any other entry points to such pages. (I am operating with
> full "sysop" access.) Am I misunderstanding something? Is most of the
> administration currently done via mysql and editing .php files?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Re: How to find administration pages?

Rob Church
On 26/05/06, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a brand-new MW admin, my understanding is that the MediaWiki:
> namespace has various protected special pages that might make my admin
> task easier.

Those pages are special, and protected, because they comprise the text
used for the software's interface.

What you seem to be looking for are the special pages listed as
"restricted" (visible when logged in as a user with the permission to
use them) - see Special:Specialpages and scroll down.

Rob Church

Re: How to find administration pages?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 5/26/06, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a brand-new MW admin, my understanding is that the MediaWiki:
> namespace has various protected special pages that might make my admin
> task easier. But a search on "MediaWiki:" didn't turn up any titles, nor
> can I find any other entry points to such pages. (I am operating with
> full "sysop" access.) Am I misunderstanding something? Is most of the
> administration currently done via mysql and editing .php files?

Check out Special:Specialpages -- at the bottom are admin-only
actions.  It's a bit annoying to use, being alphabetical and presented
as a list (no icons and colours, no groupings, etc) but it's got a lot
of the good stuff.

Also, the maintenance directory has some helpful php scripts for more
difficult actions.

You shouldn't need to do any database or php wizardry for normal tasks though.