How to get past a decision that nobody can take

How to get past a decision that nobody can take

Strainu
Hi,

I personally enjoy the independence that each project has in the
Wikimedia universe. Therefore, I've given much thought on wether I
should write this email.  Bun in the situation I will present below, I
really don't know what more can be done according to the current
policies in effect on my home wiki (ro.wikipedia). I ask your help in
finding a path to follow.

One of our users has created a page for tracking "mistakes" made by
other users [1], which propted protests from other users, including
myself [2]. Eventually, I asked for the deletion of the page at the
Romanian equivalent of [[WP:AFD]] on 20th of February [3]. The rules
for deleting the pages are very much the same as on en.wp (see
[[:en:WP:NotEarly]]), however the user page rules are not quite the
same as on en.wp. There is an ongoing debate on ro.wp on using en.wp
rules when missing an equivalent policy. this was used by the user who
created the page in his defense.

On ro.wp it sometimes happens that decisions on deleting pages take
much longer than a week, so I would expect a decision to be made
sometime soon. However, this request is special because all the active
sysops are either present in the page in question or were involved in
the discussions about it, so it would be unfair of them to close it.

What do you think the following steps should be? Should we call some
of the other sysops from "retirement"? Should we appeal to someone
from the arbcom on en.wp?

Thanks,
   Strainu

[1] http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilizator:Turbojet/Gre%C8%99eli
[2] http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reclama%C8%9Bii#Utilizator:Turbojet
[3] http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pagini_de_%C8%99ters#Utilizator:Turbojet.2FGre.C8.99eli

Re: How to get past a decision that nobody can take

Milos Rancic-2
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:33, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I personally enjoy the independence that each project has in the
> Wikimedia universe. Therefore, I've given much thought on wether I
> should write this email.  Bun in the situation I will present below, I
> really don't know what more can be done according to the current
> policies in effect on my home wiki (ro.wikipedia). I ask your help in
> finding a path to follow.
>
> One of our users has created a page for tracking "mistakes" made by
> other users [1], which propted protests from other users, including
> myself [2]. Eventually, I asked for the deletion of the page at the
> Romanian equivalent of [[WP:AFD]] on 20th of February [3]. The rules
> for deleting the pages are very much the same as on en.wp (see
> [[:en:WP:NotEarly]]), however the user page rules are not quite the
> same as on en.wp. There is an ongoing debate on ro.wp on using en.wp
> rules when missing an equivalent policy. this was used by the user who
> created the page in his defense.
>
> On ro.wp it sometimes happens that decisions on deleting pages take
> much longer than a week, so I would expect a decision to be made
> sometime soon. However, this request is special because all the active
> sysops are either present in the page in question or were involved in
> the discussions about it, so it would be unfair of them to close it.
>
> What do you think the following steps should be? Should we call some
> of the other sysops from "retirement"? Should we appeal to someone
> from the arbcom on en.wp?

No steward has a problem to act if there is community consensus.

However, at the RfD page which you provided [1] I see two "delete"
positions (including yourself as a nominator) and two "keep"
positions, which can't be named as a "community consensus".

[1] http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pagini_de_%C8%99ters#Utilizator:Turbojet.2FGre.C8.99eli

Re: How to get past a decision that nobody can take

Milos Rancic-2
BTW, if the point is to conclude discussion in such state, you could
delegate any person outside community to do the job.

Re: How to get past a decision that nobody can take

GoEthe.wiki
We had a somewhat similar problem recently in the Portuguese Wikipedia with
a user page paroding several users (especially administrators), that was
formatted as a blog[1][2]. Even though we have a clear policy in respect to
the use of user pages, [3][4] deletion was only possible after a second
nomination.[1] I think the only reason the second nomination was succesful
is because we had a huge crisis last December, resulting in several advices
from a Steward, including the deletion of that particular page [5]. My
advice is to get community consensus if that sort of thing is admissable on
user pages or not.

User:GoEThe

[1]
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:P%C3%A1ginas_para_eliminar/Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:MachoCarioca/Esculhambares