How to kill a mailing list

Are you claiming credit?

Or are you claiming to be the victim?

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: How to kill a mailing list

mike.lifeguard

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Benjamin Lees
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
> > August 2009: 1030
> > September 2009: 791
> > October 2009: 326
> > November 2009: 513
> > December 2009: 234
> > January 2010: 207
> > February 2010: 213
> > March 2010: ???
> >

> And your point.
>
> Are you claiming credit?
>
> Or are you claiming to be the victim?

The autopsy indicates that it was a suicide.

Presumably he feels that the way the list has been managed has contributed
to its decline.  I don't disagree in that regard.  On the other hand, raw
message counts can be misleading: are 200-message threads a good thing?

Re: How to kill a mailing list

MZMcBride-2
Mike.lifeguard wrote:

>> August 2009: 1030
>> September 2009: 791
>> October 2009: 326
>> November 2009: 513
>> December 2009: 234
>> January 2010: 207
>> February 2010: 213
>> March 2010: ???
> Does anyone know what the numbers are? Or perhaps this this email a
> demonstration?!

The number of messages per month. I thought this was obvious. The figure is
at the top of each monthly archive, e.g.,
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2010-February/

MZMcBride

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Geoffrey Plourde
I support the changes, its cleaned up my inbox and made the discussions I'm seeing more worthy of attention. The list is running better than ever.

________________________________
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
> > August 2009: 1030
> > September 2009: 791
> > October 2009: 326
> > November 2009: 513
> > December 2009: 234
> > January 2010: 207
> > February 2010: 213
> > March 2010: ???
> >

> And your point.
>
> Are you claiming credit?
>
> Or are you claiming to be the victim?

The autopsy indicates that it was a suicide.

Presumably he feels that the way the list has been managed has contributed
to its decline.  I don't disagree in that regard.  On the other hand, raw
message counts can be misleading: are 200-message threads a good thing?

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Steven Walling
+1 to what Geoffrey said.

Steven Walling

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I support the changes, its cleaned up my inbox and made the discussions I'm
> seeing more worthy of attention. The list is running better than ever.

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Anthony wrote:
> > > August 2009: 1030
> > > September 2009: 791
> > > October 2009: 326
> > > November 2009: 513
> > > December 2009: 234
> > > January 2010: 207
> > > February 2010: 213
> > > March 2010: ???
> > >

> > And your point.
> >
> > Are you claiming credit?
> >
> > Or are you claiming to be the victim?
> >

> The autopsy indicates that it was a suicide.
>
> Presumably he feels that the way the list has been managed has contributed
> to its decline.  I don't disagree in that regard.  On the other hand, raw
> message counts can be misleading: are 200-message threads a good thing?

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Jon Davis-5
I hardly think this is a "killed" list. If I've got my emails straight, the
"soft limit" of 30 emails per month was implemented November 13th, 2009.
Don't remember what happened in October... anyways.  Declaring the list
"dead" because the message count is dead is a major case of edit-count-itis.

Let's be honest, everyone knows that Foundation-l has a reputation and
nicknames to go with it.  Flame-l, hell-l, spam-l... to name some of the
more polite ones.  Myself, as someone who rarely writes anything to the list
(This will make message 2? or 3? in the last 18 months) it was quite plain
to see that the signal to noise ratio was.... ..was... how does one
mathmatically represent 'useless'? From an average of 34 messages a day to
an average of 7, I think the change is for the better.

Anyways, as with most mediums, there were a few extremely noisy people
generating 90% of the mail volume.  With the soft limit of 30 they must
think twice about their messages.  Not that they couldn't go over the
limits.  The mods said several times that the soft limit would just kick
people into "auto-moderation" but if they had valid messages, they would
still be approved.

I'm glad things are the way they are now, and I hope the mods continue their
good work.

-Jon

--
Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]]

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Fred Bauder-2
Yes, but no need to delete endless repetitive spam from "Anthony" without
bothering to read it.

Bottom line, serious discussions have moved elsewhere. Progress, I guess,
discussions here never seemed to lead anywhere. Just round and round.

Fred Bauder

> August 2009: 1030
> September 2009: 791
> October 2009: 326
> November 2009: 513
> December 2009: 234
> January 2010: 207
> February 2010: 213
> March 2010: ???

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Anthony-73
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bottom line, serious discussions have moved elsewhere. Progress, I guess,
> discussions here never seemed to lead anywhere. Just round and round.

Where have the discussions moved?  I assume you're talking about a private
list?  Any possibility of having such a list which is read-only to the
general community?

I don't think it's progress to take all the serious discussions out of the
view of the community.  If the general quality of the discussions has
increased, that's great, but you agree that it'd be even better if you could
increase the quality while also maintaining the openness, right?

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Philippe Beaudette-2
I think Fred meant that rather than being on Foundation-l, they've
moved to appropriate places on the various wikis.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, Fred. :)

pb

On Mar 17, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Anthony wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Fred Bauder
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Bottom line, serious discussions have moved elsewhere. Progress, I
>> guess,
>> discussions here never seemed to lead anywhere. Just round and round.
>>

> Where have the discussions moved?  I assume you're talking about a
> private
> list?  Any possibility of having such a list which is read-only to the
> general community?
>
> I don't think it's progress to take all the serious discussions out
> of the
> view of the community.  If the general quality of the discussions has
> increased, that's great, but you agree that it'd be even better if
> you could
> increase the quality while also maintaining the openness, right?

Re: How to kill a mailing list

Fred Bauder-2
What I mean is that there are specialized forums both on and off wiki. We
used to discuss individual users and their behavior here. Now that would
be on a Noticeboard or a request for arbitration, and yes on a private
list. This list just doesn't handle everything anymore.

Fred