How to reduce database size

Andy Roberts-2
I'm running close to a limit of mySQL database size for the level of
hosting service I'm on.

I bet there's some unused records in there taking up unnecessary space.
Can anybody suggest an easy, safe way of compacting the database
somehow please?

The mediawiki was set up as a  1.3, upgraded to 1.5  and current versions are

#  MediaWiki: 1.5.0
# PHP: 4.4.1 (apache)
# MySQL: 4.0.26-standard-log

--
Andy Roberts

Re: How to reduce database size

Hans Voss
To save Brion some work:
Please upgrade to (at least) 1.5.8 because 1.5.0 contains some serious bugs
(including security).

Somebody else please take up the answer to his real question.  :-)

On 5/1/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running close to a limit of mySQL database size for the level of
> hosting service I'm on.
>
> I bet there's some unused records in there taking up unnecessary space.
> Can anybody suggest an easy, safe way of compacting the database
> somehow please?
>
> The mediawiki was set up as a  1.3, upgraded to 1.5  and current versions
> are
>
> #  MediaWiki: 1.5.0
> # PHP: 4.4.1 (apache)
> # MySQL: 4.0.26-standard-log
>
> --
> Andy Roberts

----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: How to reduce database size

Rob Church
On 01/05/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running close to a limit of mySQL database size for the level of
> hosting service I'm on.
>
> I bet there's some unused records in there taking up unnecessary space.
> Can anybody suggest an easy, safe way of compacting the database
> somehow please?

You've had the "for the love of God, upgrade!" note, so let's get to a
possible solution. There are two methods of compressing the database.
One is to erase all old revisions of all old pages. This is quite
destructive, but might work in some cases. The script to do this is
deleteOldRevisions.php and is found in the maintenance directory.

The other, and safer, method, would be to run the compressOld.php
maintenance script, which can be found in maintenance/storage. There
are lots of little switches for customising this, but the defaults
work fine.

Rob Church

On 01/05/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm running close to a limit of mySQL database size for the level of
> > hosting service I'm on.
> >
> > I bet there's some unused records in there taking up unnecessary space.
> > Can anybody suggest an easy, safe way of compacting the database
> > somehow please?
>
> You've had the "for the love of God, upgrade!" note, so let's get to a
> possible solution. There are two methods of compressing the database.
> One is to erase all old revisions of all old pages. This is quite
> destructive, but might work in some cases. The script to do this is
> deleteOldRevisions.php and is found in the maintenance directory.

Sounds promising, but what is the definition of an 'old page' in this
case please?
If it's the same as a deleted page then that would be fine.

If already truncated the archive table, mind.

> The other, and safer, method, would be to run the compressOld.php
> maintenance script, which can be found in maintenance/storage. There
> are lots of little switches for customising this, but the defaults
> work fine.

Thanks, I tried it and got

 "compressOld is known to be broken at the moment."

--
Andy Roberts

Re: How to reduce database size

Rob Church
On 01/05/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds promising, but what is the definition of an 'old page' in this
> case please?

Sorry, I meant, "to erase the old revisions of all pages."

>  "compressOld is known to be broken at the moment."

I expect it was back then; I also expect it's fixed in 1.5.9 or similar. :)

Rob Church

Re: How to reduce database size

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 5/1/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/05/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  "compressOld is known to be broken at the moment."
>
> I expect it was back then; I also expect it's fixed in 1.5.9 or similar. :)

I just performed an upgrade to 1.6.3 and confirmed the message

On 01/05/06, Sy Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 01/05/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >  "compressOld is known to be broken at the moment."
> >
> > I expect it was back then; I also expect it's fixed in 1.5.9 or similar. :)
>
> I just performed an upgrade to 1.6.3 and confirmed the message
> "compressOld is known to be broken at the moment."

maintenance/storage/compressOld.php looks fine to me in SVN trunk and
1.6 release branches.

Rob Church

Re: How to reduce database size

Michael Dorosh
 So from the technically un-wizardly - how does one "run a script"? I keep seeing reference to that in this emails but really have no idea what it means. I find the answers here are generally written at a fairly high level of technical know-how which unfortunately puts it above my level of understanding.
M.A.D.

On 02/05/06, Michael Dorosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  So from the technically un-wizardly - how does one "run a script"? I keep seeing reference to that in this emails but really have no idea what it means. I find the answers here are generally written at a fairly high level of technical know-how which unfortunately puts it above my level of understanding.

When we say "run X script", we usually intend for the user to run a
specific maintenance script, as found in the maintenance/ directory,
and documented, to some extent, in maintenance/README.

These scripts are run from the command line, and do a number of
different things to the wiki. There are scripts used to upgrade the
database schema, refresh the MediaWiki namespace, import text files,
delete pages forever, etc.

Rob Church
jdd

Michael Dorosh wrote:
>  So from the technically un-wizardly - how does one "run a script"?

usually two steps:

setup the Admin...example to admin...php on the root
directory of mediawiki with your root/passswd (mysql one),
then run the script by typing "php <script name>"

works for me like this
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: How to reduce database size

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 5/1/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/05/06, Sy Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just performed an upgrade to 1.6.3 and confirmed the message
> > "compressOld is known to be broken at the moment."
>
> maintenance/storage/compressOld.php looks fine to me in SVN trunk and
> 1.6 release branches.

Aah, I was running old crud from some previous version of mw in the
maintainance/ directory itself.

I must have done a lazy upgrade at some point.