How to reset Wiki Admin's user name and password (from server command line)?

How to reset Wiki Admin's user name and password (from server command line)?

Ken McDonald-2
Due no doubt to a mistake on my part, I know find that the user name and
p/w I thought I'd specified for the wiki admin during setup weren't
actually what went through. There is an account called "wikiadmin", so
perhaps I somehow submitted the defaults.

In any case, could someone please explain, or direct me to instructions,
to change the wiki admin account name and password? I have full access
to both the server and the wiki DB. Surely someone has lost or forgotten
their password before :-)

Let's hope this is the last installation goof on my part,
Ken

Re: How to reset Wiki Admin's user name and password (from server command line)?

Jan-Paul Köster
Hi Ken,

this might be old info, but about 6 months ago this worked for me:

update user set
user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('newpassword'))) where
user_name='wikiadmin';

After that you should be able to log in with the wikiadmin account and
the new password.

Cheers,
JP

Ken McDonald wrote:

> Due no doubt to a mistake on my part, I know find that the user name and
> p/w I thought I'd specified for the wiki admin during setup weren't
> actually what went through. There is an account called "wikiadmin", so
> perhaps I somehow submitted the defaults.
>
> In any case, could someone please explain, or direct me to instructions,
> to change the wiki admin account name and password? I have full access
> to both the server and the wiki DB. Surely someone has lost or forgotten
> their password before :-)
>
> Let's hope this is the last installation goof on my part,
> Ken

Re: How to reset Wiki Admin's user name and password (from server command line)?

Rob Church
On 24/05/06, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Due no doubt to a mistake on my part, I know find that the user name and
> p/w I thought I'd specified for the wiki admin during setup weren't
> actually what went through. There is an account called "wikiadmin", so
> perhaps I somehow submitted the defaults.
>
> In any case, could someone please explain, or direct me to instructions,
> to change the wiki admin account name and password? I have full access
> to both the server and the wiki DB. Surely someone has lost or forgotten
> their password before :-)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MediaWiki+password+MD5 throws up some
nice results.

Rob Church

Re: How to reset Wiki Admin's user name and password (from server command line)?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 5/24/06, Jan-Paul Köster <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this might be old info, but about 6 months ago this worked for me:
>
> update user set
> user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('newpassword'))) where
> user_name='wikiadmin';

I can confirm these instructions.  They worked for me on 1.6.x
recently, and the instructions are the same for 1.5.x.

You may need to tweak "user" if $wgDBprefix is set.

http://jrandomhacker.info/MediaWiki_tricks_and_tips#changing_a_password