How to run a query about user contributions

How to run a query about user contributions

Piotr Konieczny-2
Dear all,

I am trying to gather some data for a new paper, but I wonder if there
is a more efficient way of doing so than by using Wikipedia Special:Contribs
I have a list of editors, whose edits I'd like to analyze and get
numbers on their contributions by mainspace, and to specific groups of
pages (such as Wikipedia:Arbitration and its subpages, for example). In
other words, for a defined group of users, I would like to know if they
have ever contributed to an arbitration page, and if they did, how many
edits did they make.

I am assuming this wouldn't be that difficult for somebody who knows how
to run the queries on the Wikipedia database, but I have never been able
to develop enough of a coding skill to do so. Still, if people could
direct me to a page with instructions on how to run a database query,
perhaps I can try to learn. THat is, if they have been made more non-CS
person friendly, as two or so years ago when I last research this topic
they were, IMHO, still beyond the means of a non-coder to deal with.

Alternatively, I can consider paying someone to run a number of such
queries for me, since I now even have a real research budget :)

--
Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny

Re: How to run a query about user contributions

Jane Darnell
Piotr,
Wow, the takeaway for me after reading your mail is that you have
managed to get a research budget. Congratulations!
Good luck with your research - it sounds like a worthwhile thing to study.
Jane

2013/6/1, Piotr Konieczny <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to gather some data for a new paper, but I wonder if there
> is a more efficient way of doing so than by using Wikipedia Special:Contribs
> I have a list of editors, whose edits I'd like to analyze and get
> numbers on their contributions by mainspace, and to specific groups of
> pages (such as Wikipedia:Arbitration and its subpages, for example). In
> other words, for a defined group of users, I would like to know if they
> have ever contributed to an arbitration page, and if they did, how many
> edits did they make.
>
> I am assuming this wouldn't be that difficult for somebody who knows how
> to run the queries on the Wikipedia database, but I have never been able
> to develop enough of a coding skill to do so. Still, if people could
> direct me to a page with instructions on how to run a database query,
> perhaps I can try to learn. THat is, if they have been made more non-CS
> person friendly, as two or so years ago when I last research this topic
> they were, IMHO, still beyond the means of a non-coder to deal with.
>
> Alternatively, I can consider paying someone to run a number of such
> queries for me, since I now even have a real research budget :)
>
> --
> Piotr Konieczny, PhD
> http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
> http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gdV8_AEAAAAJ
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus

Re: How to run a query about user contributions

lbenedix
Hi Piotr,

Can you give me the list of usernames, the wikipedia(s) and the
timeframe you are interested in?

best regards,

Lukas

Am Sa 01.06.2013 09:09, schrieb Piotr Konieczny:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to gather some data for a new paper, but I wonder if there
> is a more efficient way of doing so than by using Wikipedia
> Special:Contribs
> I have a list of editors, whose edits I'd like to analyze and get
> numbers on their contributions by mainspace, and to specific groups of
> pages (such as Wikipedia:Arbitration and its subpages, for example).
> In other words, for a defined group of users, I would like to know if
> they have ever contributed to an arbitration page, and if they did,
> how many edits did they make.
>
> I am assuming this wouldn't be that difficult for somebody who knows
> how to run the queries on the Wikipedia database, but I have never
> been able to develop enough of a coding skill to do so. Still, if
> people could direct me to a page with instructions on how to run a
> database query, perhaps I can try to learn. THat is, if they have been
> made more non-CS person friendly, as two or so years ago when I last
> research this topic they were, IMHO, still beyond the means of a
> non-coder to deal with.
>
> Alternatively, I can consider paying someone to run a number of such
> queries for me, since I now even have a real research budget :)

Re: How to run a query about user contributions

lbenedix

Hi Piotr,

I've prepared the statements and could start running them tonight.
Right now I'm in the train home...

Lukas

Piotr Konieczny <[hidden email]> schrieb:
[...]

Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Mobiltelefon mit Kaiten Mail gesendet.

Re: How to run a query about user contributions

Piotr Konieczny-2
This is just a note that the Dashboard us up and running again - thanks
to all who helped!