How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi
Dear Srikanth,

When I mentioned it is easy to become a member, I meant for Indian citizens.
100 Rupee is membership fee and whether its small amount or large amount is different point of view.

Why there is 18 age limit to become member of Wikimedia India Chapter?

Regards,
Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

Srikanth Ramakrishnan [hidden email]

Due to legal restrictions only an Indian citizen can become a member of the Chapter. When I mentioned it is easy to become a member, I meant for Indian citizens. On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) < smazeland at wikimedia.org> wrote: > On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan < > srik.ramk at wikimedia.in> wrote: > >> Becoming a member is pretty easy. It costs INR 100 to join and requires a >> single form to be filled and sent across. > > > Actually, it isn't. As Bence is not an Indian citizen over 18 or an Indian > institution, he cannot be a member. > > Cheers! > -- > Siebrand > _______________________________________________ > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list > Wikimediaindia-l at lists.wikimedia.org > To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l > > -- Srikanth Ramakrishnan Member of the Executive Committee Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Arun Ramarathnam

On Feb 2, 2013 7:22 PM, "Abhishek Suryawanshi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why there is 18 age limit to become member of Wikimedia India Chapter?

Dear Abhishek,

I can take that query as one of the folks involved in preparing and debating the original MOA clauses of the chapter.

The original intent was to keep membership criteria as open as possible -  age,  citizenship,  etc.
However the advise of the consultant who helped us with the society registration was to limit membership to adults  and indian citizens based on their  prior experience with getting these registrations through quickly.  We were advised that we could later seek permissions for the above if the authorities so permitted.

Not with standing these limitations it took the lot of meetings with authorities to get the formal registration through.  I have attended many of these meetings to get due clearance.

Hope that clarifies your query.

Regards
Arun

> Regards,
> Abhishek Suryawanshi,
> On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
> srik.ramk at wikimedia.in
>

> Due to legal restrictions only an Indian citizen can become a member of the
> Chapter.
> When I mentioned it is easy to become a member, I meant for Indian citizens.
>

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) <
> smazeland at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> > srik.ramk at wikimedia.in> wrote:
> >
> >> Becoming a member is pretty easy. It costs INR 100 to join and requires a
> >> single form to be filled and sent across.
> >

> > Actually, it isn't. As Bence is not an Indian citizen over 18 or an Indian
> > institution, he cannot be a member.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > --
> > Siebrand

> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
> Member of the Executive Committee
> Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi
Thanks Arun for clarification.

I can understand difficulty in getting registration. As society registration is done, Hope so membership criteria will improve, so more and more people can become part of movement.

My query was just to make sure access is available to all irrespective of age and nationality barrier! :)

Regards,
Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

On Feb 2, 2013 7:22 PM, "Abhishek Suryawanshi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why there is 18 age limit to become member of Wikimedia India Chapter?

Dear Abhishek,

I can take that query as one of the folks involved in preparing and debating the original MOA clauses of the chapter.

The original intent was to keep membership criteria as open as possible -  age,  citizenship,  etc.
However the advise of the consultant who helped us with the society registration was to limit membership to adults  and indian citizens based on their  prior experience with getting these registrations through quickly.  We were advised that we could later seek permissions for the above if the authorities so permitted.

Not with standing these limitations it took the lot of meetings with authorities to get the formal registration through.  I have attended many of these meetings to get due clearance.

Hope that clarifies your query.

Regards
Arun

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
While the age restriction might be modifiable, I'm not too sure yet,
will have to check with the Karnataka Registrar of Societies, the
Nationality of members has to be Indian as set down by the Ministry of
Home Affairs, Goverment of India.

--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Yann Forget-3
Hello,

2013/2/8 Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]>:
> While the age restriction might be modifiable, I'm not too sure yet,
> will have to check with the Karnataka Registrar of Societies, the
> Nationality of members has to be Indian as set down by the Ministry of
> Home Affairs, Goverment of India.

Are you really sure about that? I am very surprised.
Most NGO in India accepted membership from foreign residents / expatriates.
I would register to Wikimedia India if possible.

Regards,

Yann

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi

I guess it is possible to extend membership criteria for foreign nationals as well youngsters below 18 years. I know NGO's from Bangalore which accept memberships from foreign delegates.

Can we expect -  new Membership (April-2013 to March 2014) will be available to everyone by crossing age and nationality barrier? :)

--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

2013/2/8 Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]>:
> While the age restriction might be modifiable, I'm not too sure yet,
> will have to check with the Karnataka Registrar of Societies, the
> Nationality of members has to be Indian as set down by the Ministry of
> Home Affairs, Goverment of India.

Are you really sure about that? I am very surprised.
Most NGO in India accepted membership from foreign residents / expatriates.
I would register to Wikimedia India if possible.

Regards,

Yann

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Subhashish Panigrahi-4

On 09-Feb-2013, at 1:37 AM, Abhishek Suryawanshi wrote:

I guess it is possible to extend membership criteria for foreign nationals as well youngsters below 18 years. I know NGO's from Bangalore which accept memberships from foreign delegates.
Is there anything special associated with it? I was a wikipedian first and then became a chapter member, could not renew my membership and renewed membership recently and still a wikipedian. Chapter is to support the communities and not to create members. I'd like to ask what are the benefits for a foreign national to be part of Wikimedia India (which is a country specific chapter) where he/she can be a member of his/her own country?

--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

2013/2/8 Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]>:
> While the age restriction might be modifiable, I'm not too sure yet,
> will have to check with the Karnataka Registrar of Societies, the
> Nationality of members has to be Indian as set down by the Ministry of
> Home Affairs, Goverment of India.

Are you really sure about that? I am very surprised.
Most NGO in India accepted membership from foreign residents / expatriates.
I would register to Wikimedia India if possible.

Regards,

Yann

Re: How to set up a SIG?

theo10011
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Abhishek Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
My query was just to make sure access is available to all irrespective of age and nationality barrier! :)

Regards,
Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
BTW I'd like to join this "Wikipedia club pune" of yours along with 3 other brazilians, one of them might be under 18 - I'm not sure. I'd like to join and speak on its behalf please.

-Theo

PS do they come with those glasses and that font? ;)

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi

I want to clarify background about age query :

Regarding age limit - There were many queries from college students (around 15 to 17 years old) about joining Chapter - after inspiring talk by His Highness Sudhanwa Joglekar (President, Wikimedia India Chapter). It was decent talk at Club event about ''why someone should join Wikimedia India Chapter'' .. It would add impact if Chapter talks/presentations end up with distribution of membership forms. Thanks to him for inspiring below 18 years kids to join Wikimedia India Chapter.

When we told them it is only for 18+, first question they asked - 'Is it adult censored organization?'

I was a wikipedian first and then became a chapter member, could not renew my membership and renewed membership recently and still a wikipedian.

I love your passion, Good to know irrespective membership you 'are' and will be always a Wikipedian...Apart from this -
Lets overcome problems which you had, why you were unable to renew your membership?
I hope problem was different than submitting birth-certificate to prove you are 18+

Chapter is to support the communities and not to create members.

Chapter is there is support to community is controversial part - lets keep that aside.
Members are essential to make sure Chapter is there to support community. Chapter is facilitated by members. So if Chapter is putting up efforts to 'create' members - its justifiable. Hope so they do it better by having smooth membership registration/renewal process.

I'd like to ask what are the benefits for a foreign national to be part of Wikimedia India (which is a country specific chapter) where he/she can be a member of his/her own country?

Along with uninvited foreign money transfer problems - it might give Chapter new direction and new perspective.
And whats harm in having foreign national as member?

and Congrats on Membership renewal. Now you are 'certified (18+) Member' as well as (Indian) Wikipedian. ;)

--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

2013/2/8 Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]>:
> While the age restriction might be modifiable, I'm not too sure yet,
> will have to check with the Karnataka Registrar of Societies, the
> Nationality of members has to be Indian as set down by the Ministry of
> Home Affairs, Goverment of India.

Are you really sure about that? I am very surprised.
Most NGO in India accepted membership from foreign residents / expatriates.
I would register to Wikimedia India if possible.

Regards,

Yann

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi

BTW I'd like to join this "Wikipedia club pune" of yours along with 3 other brazilians, one of them might be under 18 - I'm not sure. I'd like to join and speak on its behalf please.

You are welcome to join it. and relax - below 18, above 18 is last thing we care. Special thanks for bringing in diversity to Club.

Call us older generation, but we prefer facebook for communication : https://www.facebook.com/groups/WikipediaClubPune/
Stay connected via group to get updates about club. :-)

More than joining, if you 'like' to like things - then you can join 3767 Club followers - https://www.facebook.com/WikipediaClubPune

Keep Joining, Keep Inspiring! :)

-Abhishek Suryawanshi,
With extra pair of glasses and font

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Abhishek Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

BTW I'd like to join this "Wikipedia club pune" of yours along with 3 other brazilians, one of them might be under 18 - I'm not sure. I'd like to join and speak on its behalf please.

You are welcome to join it. and relax - below 18, above 18 is last thing we care. Special thanks for bringing in diversity to Club.

Call us older generation, but we prefer facebook for communication : https://www.facebook.com/groups/WikipediaClubPune/
Stay connected via group to get updates about club. :-)

More than joining, if you 'like' to like things - then you can join 3767 Club followers - https://www.facebook.com/WikipediaClubPune

Thank you.

I'd now like to speak on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune. We would officially like to change our language preference to Portuguese, and affirm that Pune is the second bestest place in India, after Delhi. Also We like Cheese! Thank you that is all.

Anyway, please look forward to having more brazilian members of your club than pune ones. Some of those would be underage boys and girls, but you are from an "older generation" of course. :P

BTW in case you haven't realized, that was not to ask for membership but point out how important it is to have a resident as a member unless they start speaking for a country or a city they know nothing about. The 18 is the age requirement usually set by the law, and when you decide to officially register your organization as a society, I'll point you to the age requirement law or why parental supervision becomes necessary in some cases.

Regards
Theo
Apparently, Wikipedia Pune Club member

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Gautam John-3
On 9 February 2013 01:37, Abhishek Suryawanshi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess it is possible to extend membership criteria for foreign nationals
> as well youngsters below 18 years. I know NGO's from Bangalore which accept
> memberships from foreign delegates.

Abhishek - could you please let us know which NGOs in Bangalore,
registered as Societies in the last couple of years, have membership
for those below 18 and for foreign nationals, please? It will be very
useful for WMIN when they decide to make their case to the Registrar?
Having been part of the team that registered the Society, I can
clarify that these restrictions were not WMIN's but the Registrar of
Society's.

As for your latter point on "'Is it adult censored organization?' -
one could ask whether voting in this country is an 'Is it adult
censored organization?'

Lastly, The Wikipedia Club Pune isn't, AFAIK, an organisation as much
as it is a collective of individuals and a Facebook page. There is a
difference, in law, between that and a Society - such as WMIN.

> Can we expect -  new Membership (April-2013 to March 2014) will be available
> to everyone by crossing age and nationality barrier? :)

It is highly unlikely that the Registrar, should he give his approval,
will be able to take a decision on this in such a compressed time
frame.

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi

I'd now like to speak on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune. We would officially like to change our language preference to Portuguese, and affirm that Pune is the second bestest place in India, after Delhi. Also We like Cheese! Thank you that is all.

Saddi Dilli ...mantê-lo ;-)
and With Cheese you get free Wada Pav!  [invisible] Font and glasses complimentary.. [/invisible]

Anyway, please look forward to having more brazilian members of your club than pune ones. Some of those would be underage boys and girls, but you are from an "older generation" of course. :P

Oh! More Brazilians - Great! And being more older - We can switch back to Orkut also! (Ah - Good old days and unforgettable memories)

The 18 is the age requirement usually set by the law, and when you decide to officially register your organization as a society,

My only concern is to 'include' every interested wikimedian in Chapter. (With due respect to Indian Laws)

Official Legal Member might be heavy and big thing and law might be having problems with 18 age limit.

[possible solution]
What about having small level / virtual recognition and acceptance into chapter? Once they cross 18+ limit , then they can become members officially. Before that can we create sub-space where we can accommodate everyone irrespective of age?
[/possible solution]

Keep Suggesting, Keep Inspiring!

Regards,

Abhishek Suryawanshi,
Your fellow Wikipedia Club Pune Member

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Abhishek - could you please let us know which NGOs in Bangalore,
> registered as Societies in the last couple of years, have membership
> for those below 18 and for foreign nationals, please? It will be very
> useful for WMIN when they decide to make their case to the Registrar?
> Having been part of the team that registered the Society, I can
> clarify that these restrictions were not WMIN's but the Registrar of
> Society's.

It wasn't clear from this thread as to why these two issues are very
important to be solved *right now* ?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi

could you please let us know which NGOs in Bangalore,
registered as Societies in the last couple of years, have membership
for those below 18 and for foreign nationals, please? It will be very
useful for WMIN when they decide to make their case to the Registrar?
Having been part of the team that registered the Society, I can
clarify that these restrictions were not WMIN's but the Registrar of
Society's.

Bangalore - One example could be Art of Living. And am clueless about Karnataka Society Law's. In Pune Osho provides membership access to foreign nationals, it might be registered differently (other than society.)

As for your latter point on "'Is it adult censored organization?' -
one could ask whether voting in this country is an 'Is it adult
censored organization
?'

That was comment from someone who had query.,
Other than voting, minors do have access to health, education and other facilities. Govt provides service/'citizenship' to citizens irrespective of age..
Like I suggested [possible solution] in another thread [[1]] - There can be minimal/virtual membership. Its just to include  every interested person into Chapter. People may feel bad if we keep them away.
If possible - lets try to include as many people as we can??..

> Can we expect -  new Membership (April-2013 to March 2014) will be available
> to everyone by crossing age and nationality barrier? :)

It is highly unlikely that the Registrar, should he give his approval,
will be able to take a decision on this in such a compressed time
frame.

Hope so at-least process will start soon. :)

Keep Exploring, Keep Inspiring!

Best Regards,

[[1]] Possible Solution - http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2013-February/009287.html

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess it is possible to extend membership criteria for foreign nationals
> as well youngsters below 18 years. I know NGO's from Bangalore which accept
> memberships from foreign delegates.

Abhishek - could you please let us know which NGOs in Bangalore,
registered as Societies in the last couple of years, have membership
for those below 18 and for foreign nationals, please? It will be very
useful for WMIN when they decide to make their case to the Registrar?
Having been part of the team that registered the Society, I can
clarify that these restrictions were not WMIN's but the Registrar of
Society's.

As for your latter point on "'Is it adult censored organization?' -
one could ask whether voting in this country is an 'Is it adult
censored organization?'

Lastly, The Wikipedia Club Pune isn't, AFAIK, an organisation as much
as it is a collective of individuals and a Facebook page. There is a
difference, in law, between that and a Society - such as WMIN.

> Can we expect -  new Membership (April-2013 to March 2014) will be available
> to everyone by crossing age and nationality barrier? :)

It is highly unlikely that the Registrar, should he give his approval,
will be able to take a decision on this in such a compressed time
frame.

Re: How to set up a SIG?

Abhishek Suryawanshi

It wasn't clear from this thread as to why these two issues are very
important to be solved *right now*
?

Recently, There was talk/presentation by Chapter President encouraging people to become member of Wikimedia India Chapter.
There is nice response to appeal and people are highly interested in being member of Chapter, at same time few people have limitations like age and nationality. They want to be associated with Chapter.

Regarding timing of query - as per information provided in presentation, Membership will be counted from April-2013 to March-2014.
So it makes more sense to give our best to enroll every interested person to become member by overcoming possible barriers.

This thread's name and content might be different - Will start new thread with possible improvements so all suggestions will be on same thread and execution might be easy.